Required Reading

peanut butter said:
what about just one expensive book?

You still haven't answered Urban's question. I'm pretty sure that's why he asked. He wanted to gauge your interest/experience, and make a recommendation based on that.

It will drastically change based on what you're looking for?

I only needed to check the table of contents in "Supertraining" and read the introduction to realize it is the most comprehensive text I own. But 99% of the guys out there aren't interested in reading this.

How much are you willing to read? To spend?
What are you interested in? Something that primes you in physiology and kinesiology? Something that primes you in the basic principles of strength and conditioning? Or do you want something more practical? Something that will just give you some workouts and get you on your way?

Madmick said:
You still haven't answered Urban's question. I'm pretty sure that's why he asked. He wanted to gauge your interest/experience, and make a recommendation based on that.

It will drastically change based on what you're looking for?

I only needed to check the table of contents in "Supertraining" and read the introduction to realize it is the most comprehensive text I own. But 99% of the guys out there aren't interested in reading this.

How much are you willing to read? To spend?
What are you interested in? Something that primes you in physiology and kinesiology? Something that primes you in the basic principles of strength and conditioning? Or do you want something more practical? Something that will just give you some workouts and get you on your way?

im looking for something with a little more depth than just workout examples. something which covers the basics and goes further into the theory part, explaining why this is the case etc etc. i dont think the size of the read is a problem but im not sure about the prices, could you give an example of the ranges.

Well, it sounds like you're after a killer all-in-one specifically marketed to beginners, and that's really not my strength, because I wasn't fortunate enough to have had my start that way.

I think any of the manuals/texts marketed towards beginners from EliteFts or WSB would suffice. You'll get a little of everything (physiology, technique, method, etc.)

"Starting Strength" over at EliteFts seems to be popular. It's $30 at EliteFts, that's the cheapest you can get it anywhere, I checked.

Do you think Starting Strength is worth a read even for someone who has been lifting for years. Meaning, would I be reading things I've already learned, say through this forum or online articles. I don't want a book catered to the brand new lifter because I would guess this would be quite redundant. Does anyone agree/disagree?

Rick, that's impossible for me to answer since I haven't read the book myself, but Jim Wendler seems to think everyone and their mother should own enough copies a couple are falling out of your gym bag.

I think it would be more of a reference for someone like you. Useful, but not something you'd read start to finish, if I'm formulating the right idea based on the description at Elitefts.

peanut butter said:
madmick you mentioned supertraining, whats that like?

dude, the reason its called require reading is cuz youll want to read those books eventually. science and practice is relatively beginner friendly, and im told periodization for sports by bompa is too. for your first book, pick any of the ones on my owned list. i dont recomend supertraining unless you have a sports science background already. but really, any other book will do you a lot of good to read. so just pick one and get to it.

I am getting supertraining for christmas.

Thanks for the explination Madmick. I think I will pick up one or two books you guys listed.

peanut butter said:
madmick you mentioned supertraining, whats that like?

It's like a beam of light from heaven.

No, but *Cocky* already pretty much explained it to you. If you don't have a working familiarity with these concepts, it's probably better you prime yourself in them if you're learning on your own before you purchase Supertraining. Examples of chapter sub-section heading titles are "The Conjugate Sequence System of Training Means" and "Autoregulating Progressive Resistance Exercise." It's a massive manual: nearly 500 very large pages with fine print. All language is technical such as was provided in those examples.

I own "Periodization Training for Sport" and it's a great introduction to the principles of periodisation. However, there's not much on the powerlifts or lifting technique or anatomy or kinesiology. Also, it can be very confusing at times because Bompa expects you to follow his line of thought when the information he is mentally accessing isn't included in front of you.

That, and I just have difficulty believing anyone could squat and deadlift on the same 3 days in a week for 5-8 sets a piece and not burn out their CNS, even with varying intensity and loads. His heavy weeks include 95% and 85% day. I just don't see how that's possible, but he doesn't recommend any splits in the organization of his training. What if you do C&J and Snatch too? Of course you'll also do bench and some OH press and pull-ups/rows. How could anyone possibly lifts that heavy for that many sets all in one session?
Nevertheless, this doesn't invalidate the other principles of his methodology.

Now that you mention it, *Cocky*, "Science and Practice" is an excellent recommendation. Actually, it would serve well for any athlete as an introduction to strength training.

Madmick said:
It's like a beam of light from heaven.

No, but Rickdog already pretty much explained it to you. If you don't have a working familiarity with these concepts, it's probably better you prime yourself in them if you're learning on your own before you purchase Supertraining. Examples of chapter sub-section heading titles are "The Conjugate Sequence System of Training Means" and "Autoregulating Progressive Resistance Exercise." It's a massive manual: nearly 500 very large pages with fine print. All language is technical such as was provided in those examples.

I own "Periodization Training for Sport" and it's a great introduction to the principles of periodisation. However, there's not much on the powerlifts or lifting technique or anatomy or kinesiology. Also, it can be very confusing at times because Bompa expects you to follow his line of thought when the information he is mentally accessing isn't included in front of you.

That, and I just have difficulty believing anyone could squat and deadlift on the same 3 days in a week for 5-8 sets a piece and not burn out their CNS, even with varying intensity and loads. His heavy weeks include 95% and 85% day. I just don't see how that's possible, but he doesn't recommend any splits in the organization of his training. What if you do C&J and Snatch too? Of course you'll also do bench and some OH press and pull-ups/rows. How could anyone possibly lifts that heavy for that many sets all in one session?
Nevertheless, this doesn't invalidate the other principles of his methodology.

Now that you mention it, Rickdog, "Science and Practice" is an excellent recommendation. Actually, it would serve well for any athlete as an introduction to strength training.

you getting me and rickdog mixed up? the new green belt is throwing you off isnt it?

cockysprinter said:
you getting me and rickdog mixed up? the new green belt is throwing you off isnt it?

Holy shit, it totally did.

And yeah, that green belt doesn't suit you, Cocky. For some reason, I associated the very color blue with your handle. I saw the change yesterday, I was in a bad fucking mood the whole day.

Dam it, I read the first post and thought, wow, I did one hell of a job explaining that even though I don't remember any of it. Then Cocky had to come and steal my Thunder. DAM IT. Cocky, change your belt back to blue. you've been a blue belt for as long as I've known you. Madmick, your horrible mood has been passed on to me. I will have to post whore so my belt turns purple. I can not have people giving me credit for your posts and then recanting it. It just hurts way to much, way to dam much. You wouldn't understand. When I was 10 yrs old.................................................................................................blah blah blah

Hey, Cocky, I found vendors for these books. BTW, I found an "Art & Science of Hurdling" by McFarlane and a "Fundamentals of Sports Training" by Matveyev. Could these be the titles you're looking for?

And that price on the used copy of Dreschler's book is incredible. One of you guys should pick that up.

Amazon
Circuit Training for All Sports by M. Scholich ($14)

Amazon Marketplace
Beyond Brawn by Stuart McRobert ($20)

Abebooks
Biomechanics of Sports Techniques (4th Ed.) by Hay ($20)
Secrets of Soviet Sports Fitness and Training by Michael Yessis ($12)

Alibris
The Weightlifting Encyclopedia by Arthur Dreschler ($8)
The Mechanics of Athletics by Geoffrey Dyson, 1973 Edition ($10)

Dynamic-Eleiko.com
Special Strength Training by Yuri Verkhoshansky ($21.50)
Programming and Organization of Training by Yuri Verkhoshansky ($21.50)

Warriorforce.com
Anything by Ross Enamait

Combatgrappler.com
Gladiator Training by Zach Even-Esh ($20)

Brookskubik.com
Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik ($20)

Couldn't Find a Vendor:
Track and Field by Schaolinsky
The Preparation of High Class Sportsman in Horizontal Jumps by Anatoly Golubstov
Science & Speed of Hurdling by Brent McFarlane
Training Theory by Matveyev
Sports Agility by E.J. Kreis & Frank Costello

Peanut butter,

hands down the most comprehensive book I own:

Exercise Science: Practice and Theory. By Brian Johnston

peanut butter said:
'science and practice' seems to be the one for me at my stage

it pretty much is. madmick i can get science of hurdling from amazon, but i hate amazon. they ripped me off once and im still pissed about it.

Back