Replacing benchpress with close grip?

omgitsrick

Green Belt
Reaction score
Would this be a good idea? I like close grip benchpress much more than regular benchpress, and it seems like it would benefit you more as an exercise in general. I don't really care for "huge pecs" I just want functional strength, so how important is regular benchpress for that? Right now I'm doing a routine that starts with regular bench and has close grip as assistance work, and its good, but I find that I cant go 100% on close grip from my regular bench. Maybe I'm just being a wussy and need to step up and do both anyways.

What do you think?

its easier on the shoulders in the long run

its easier on the shoulders in the long run

Really? I guess I can kinda see how close grip is harder on the shoulders, then again I'm a pretty resilient guy. So other than that it wouldn't be bad or anything right?

Do OHP and dips as your main pressing exercises. If you're having trouble locking out, do close grip.

Do OHP and dips as your main pressing exercises. If you're having trouble locking out, do close grip.

I already do pushpress and dips as assistance, I'm just worried about benchpress.

Close grip benching is what caused the untimely death of the HIT jedi.

*walks into thread and looks around*

*promptly turns around and walks out*

*walks into thread and looks around*

*promptly turns around and walks out*

Ya this was my reaction also. I was going to say something about how the close grip isn't a good replacement as it uses almost all triceps and isn't really good for functional strength, but after the "Lvl. 8 Cock of the Infinite" comment.......that was just golden.

Back