Remember when Machida ducked Shogun after their Really Close Fight?

I understand that, but he ducked the championship fight when it was offered to him.. he wanted more time, kind of like jones wants to fight cormier first before gus, maybe he needs more time like Machida (PS not a jones fan at all)

It was also going to be Machida's last chance to challenge for the belt against Jones, were he to lose. He needed more time than a month and Machida had already earned his shot. Vitor was coming into another weight class fighting the champ, which would do little to no damage in his chances to fight for the MW title.

You should always be ready to go when you're trying to fight ot the top. Vitor on the other hand took the short notice fight, and is taking a short notice fight with Chael. War Vitor!!
Oh stop it. Vitor has a higher chance of beating Sonnen than Machida beating JBJ. You really think any sane person would fight JBJ without a full training camp. Sure Vitor took the short notice fight and look what happened. Other than that close armbar, Vitor had nothing. Vitor even pulled guard to try and catch JBJ like JBJ wouldn't be aware of what's coming. Vitor will fight someone on a day's notice so using him is a bad example.

One thing Vitor never gets any credit for, he went into that Jones fight with a broken hand, his power hand (left). That's why he kept pulling guard, and fighting so differently than usual. So not only did he have no training camp, he was injured. Pretty crazy when you think about it.

I understand that, but he ducked the championship fight when it was offered to him.. he wanted more time, kind of like jones wants to fight cormier first before gus, maybe he needs more time like Machida (PS not a jones fan at all)
You're getting your terms mixed up. Ducking someone is not wanting to fight them because of fear you might lose to them. If someone turns down a fight, especially if it's a "SHORT NOTICE" fight, that's not called ducking, that's called being smart.

Machida for president, lmao

Kind of like? No, not the same at all. Machida wanted more time to prepare. Jones does not want to fight gus again.

One thing Vitor never gets any credit for, he went into that Jones fight with a broken hand, his power hand (left). That's why he kept pulling guard, and fighting so differently than usual. So not only did he have no training camp, he was injured. Pretty crazy when you think about it.

Truth hurts

Jon

He's done that several times in his career. It's usually a good indicator of when he has phoned it in. There wasn't a whole lot that Belfort did in that fight that was out of character short of actually almost subbing an elite fighter off of his back.

Jones hate disguised as Machida praise..

I don't know if it was all the Jones hate in the first place that created this passive aggressive unlikeable malcontent or the other way around.

Nevertheless, I do wish for either Cormier or Gus to humble him a bit. It's a coming of age thing for everyone.

In Jones' defense, the Machida vs. Shogun fight was considered a robbery whereas the Jones vs. Gus fight is considered really close but that the right guy won (this of course isn't a categorical opinion, but it is the most believed one).

Those said, Jones shouldn't pick and choose his opponents, maybe in rare circumstances, but in this instance, he should just fight Gus.

Agreed here.

He's done that several times in his career. It's usually a good indicator of when he has phoned it in.

Broken hand is a pretty excusable reason to "phone it in". If by phone it in you mean still almost manage to break Jones' arm in half. Vitor has arguably come closer to beating Jon Jones than anyone.

Broken hand is a pretty excusable reason to "phone it in". If by phone it in you mean still almost manage to break Jones' arm in half. Vitor has arguably come closer to beating Jon Jones than anyone.

I didn't say he had phoned it in before the fight started. It usually takes more than 5 minutes for Belfort to fold.

I didn't say he had phoned it in before the fight started. It usually takes more than 5 minutes for Belfort to fold.

1st round Belfort is a holy beast that's for sure. I think his folding days are way behind him though. I still remember in Affliction when he knocked out Terry Martin in the 2nd or 3rd, also with a broken hand. He used the knee.

ufc-140-press-conference-jon-jones-and-lyoto-machida.jpg

"Jon, we need to talk about your hespect."
"Lyoto... don't try and ruin my special night and make me guillotine you again."

they look about the same size

lol jk

1st round Belfort is a holy beast that's for sure. I think his folding days are way behind him though. I still remember when he knocked out Terry Martin in the 2nd or 3rd, also with a broken hand. He used the knee.

He stunned Martin with the knee and then coldcocked him with a right hook left straight combo if my memory serves. I don't think Vitor's general style and strengths have changed much. He likely isn't as bad mentally as he was back in the mid 00s, and he is sharper technically in the striking than he ever was in large part due to Hooft and Diaz, but I'm not sure if I've seen a whole lot that would lead me to believe he won't fade in tough fights against opponents that he can't get out of there early. The commission sanctioned doping likely helped a bit, as well. I guess there is only one way to find out, though.

He stunned Martin with the knee and then coldcocked him with a right hook left straight combo if my memory serves. I don't think Vitor's general style and strengths have changed much. He likely isn't as bad mentally as he was back in the mid 00s, and he is sharper technically in the striking than he ever was in large part due to Hooft and Diaz, but I'm not sure if I've seen a whole lot that would lead me to believe he won't fade in tough fights against opponents that he can't get out of there early. The commission sanctioned doping likely helped a bit, as well. I guess there is only one way to find out, though.

I think his training with Machida and more generally Karate had a big impact on his style as well. His footwork opened up bigtime after that, which served his hands. Yeah like you said only one way to tell, he certainly seems up for the challenges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back