Remember when Machida ducked Shogun after their Really Close Fight?

Peteyandjia

Spring Saku
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Oh wait, that's right. Neither do I.

Because Machida is a man of strong character.

machida.jpg

After his controversial 5-round battle with Shogun Rua - a title defense, where Lyoto held onto the belt - did he demand that Shogun "work his way back up" first?

Did he try to wrangle with Dana, using his position as Champion as leverage?

Nope. He chose instead, to act like a Champion. He faced the challenge.

Machida isn't a guy who just talks about things like Respect, and Honor.

He actually means them.

LyotoMachidaMauricioRua.jpeg

PAID FOR BY MACHIDA FOR PRESIDENT

ufc-140-press-conference-jon-jones-and-lyoto-machida.jpg

"Jon, we need to talk about your hespect."
"Lyoto... don't try and ruin my special night and make me guillotine you again."

Machida also declined the jones fight twice thou.. not sure if that was a good example

His face down bow is a very traditional display of respect. If I remember up, looking up when you bow suggests you don't trust the person you are bowing to.

Yup, as much of a bullshit decision as their first fight was. Machida fought him again.

100% respect for Machida.

If your point was that Machida is more honorable than Jones, I don't think anyone is going to disagree with you

Machida also declined the jones fight twice thou.. not sure if that was a good example

Only when they were short-notice offers. Machida fully admits he needs a full training camp to take a real shot at Jones. He has also said if he wins the belt and defends for awhile at MW then he'd like to take another crack at him.

Only when they were short-notice offers. Machida fully admits he needs a full training camp to take a real shot at Jones. He has also said if he wins the belt and defends for awhile at MW then he'd like to take another crack at him.

You should always be ready to go when you're trying to fight ot the top. Vitor on the other hand took the short notice fight, and is taking a short notice fight with Chael. War Vitor!!

Jones hate disguised as Machida praise..

The two situations seemed too similar not to point out. Both were undefeated LHW Champions. Both fought a title defense, where the other guy took it to him in a 5-round war. Both fights were successful title defenses, yet highly controversial, with many people thinking the 'loser' won. The glaring difference is in how both men reacted to this unresolved challenge to their belt.

ufc-140-press-conference-jon-jones-and-lyoto-machida.jpg

"Jon, we need to talk about your hespect."
"Lyoto... don't try and ruin my special night and make me guillotine you again."

I only have one small issue with the pic used here...

That pic happened before Machida got guillotined...

Machida wasn't champ at the time.

I understand that, but he ducked the championship fight when it was offered to him.. he wanted more time, kind of like jones wants to fight cormier first before gus, maybe he needs more time like Machida (PS not a jones fan at all)

In Jones' defense, the Machida vs. Shogun fight was considered a robbery whereas the Jones vs. Gus fight is considered really close but that the right guy won (this of course isn't a categorical opinion, but it is the most believed one).

Those said, Jones shouldn't pick and choose his opponents, maybe in rare circumstances, but in this instance, he should just fight Gus.

You should always be ready to go when you're trying to fight ot the top. Vitor on the other hand took the short notice fight, and is taking a short notice fight with Chael. War Vitor!!

I agree with you for the most part, but Jones is a special case. It's like trying to figure out how to beat up an octopus, or one of those Avatars. I can't blame any challenger for wanting to be 100%.

Back