Remakes need to stop

I largely agree with you but also understand that it truly does depend on the circumstances. There are some fantastic remakes, and a lot of bad ones.

There is a System Shock remake coming out that absolutely must be counted as a brand new game. Even the RE4 remake I think can be counted a good product since there didn't seem to be too much lead time. I do not think Capcom really deserves all the clamoring of late, but they did admittedly buy themselves a huge amount of good faith with Resident Evil 7.

What I don't like are remakes that are just the same game with overhauled visuals. The Dead Space remake does nothing for me, and the small changes they did make made it worse (projectile impact for example). The graphics look amazing. That's great. Just update the graphics and make it $19.99.

I would much rather have ports on modern tech than remakes where they fuck up the style. Like-- I would love to have Final Fantasy Tactics on Switch. I don't want updated graphics. I want the game ported.

I think the larger problem isn't so much that remakes are inherently bad, but that they indicate a bit of a creative slump. Now I don't think that every single game needs to be different just for the sake of being different, but I think any reasonable person would agree that we're just getting a bit too much homogenized product thrown at us.

Folks will continue to vote with their wallets -- for the same reason we'll keep getting annual Fifas and 2Ks, we'll probably continue to get remakes.

No they don't. The good thing is you don't even have to pay that, crazy huh? You can literally just ignore the game and the $70 they are charging and move on with your life. Then one day you'll see that game on sale for like $30 and if that's still to much for you then maybe this isn't the hobby for you.

Eh, wait long enough and they'll be cheaper than $30. I rarely pay more than $20 for a game. Pretty easy to find a lot of great games at that pricerange through ebay or PSN sales.

Eh, wait long enough and they'll be cheaper than $30. I rarely pay more than $20 for a game. Pretty easy to find a lot of great games at that pricerange through ebay or PSN sales.

Yea I thought about putting $20 but my general point was you can just wait for the price to drop to something you find acceptable and then get the game.

PSN always had good deals. Microsoft Store not so much. There is Gamepass though.

Last edited:
I know exactly what hes talking about and i can tell some folks are foolish with their money.

Ive bought some remakes, some at full price too, but i honestly had to think i was getting ripped, simply because its 'done' game.

What i will NEVER do again is buy "remasters" and if i do, its a remaster of a game i couldnt get before for one reason or another.

In short, it IS an easy money grabber because its typically a remake of a successful game. Therefore, folks dont have to do anything else but improve.

No they don't. The good thing is you don't even have to pay that, crazy huh? You can literally just ignore the game and the $70 they are charging and move on with your life. Then one day you'll see that game on sale for like $30 and if that's still to much for you then maybe this isn't the hobby for you.

$70 for a remake is laughable, i agree, so i typically wait for the game to go on some sort of sale. I dont NEED to buy a game on day 1.

Uhhhh….no.
I’m not saying resident evil 2 was a bad remake. That game is a remake done right, I’m saying Resident evil 4 is just the same game as twenty years ago with re2 mechanics. I bought the game as my first ps5 game and feel ripped off. This should’ve been 45 dollars tops.

Resident evil 2 had love and care put into and took skill. I suck at video games and struggled with that game on hardcore. On hardcore on resident evil 3 and 4 it’s a cakewalk because they don’t care and just want money.

Nope, love remasters and remakes.

Make MORE as far as I'm concerned...

Resident evil 2 had love and care put into and took skill. I suck at video games and struggled with that game on hardcore. On hardcore on resident evil 3 and 4 it’s a cakewalk because they don’t care and just want money.
Have you ever considered that your experience in RE2 made you better prepared for RE3 and RE4?

$70 for a remake is laughable, i agree, so i typically wait for the game to go on some sort of sale. I dont NEED to buy a game on day 1.

$70 is laughable to me for a lot of games these days. Which is fine I have no issue just waiting. My backlog is massive right now I'm in no rush. There are a few games that I buy day 1 either because I want to support the dev\publisher or it's just to good to pass up. Like FF16 is day 1 for me.

I’m not saying resident evil 2 was a bad remake. That game is a remake done right, I’m saying Resident evil 4 is just the same game as twenty years ago with re2 mechanics. I bought the game as my first ps5 game and feel ripped off. This should’ve been 45 dollars tops.

Wha?! RE4 was worth every single penny if not more...

Your mother shoulda cost $45 at best...

They need to remake Grandia and the first Suikoden

Only gripe I have is that there are games that I love from the past that haven't been remade/remastered and perhaps won't be. If a remake/remaster doesn't look good or appealing, I just don't play it. It really is that simple.

They need to remake Grandia and the first Suikoden
Grandia was remastered a few years ago, I don't think a remake is necessary. Same with Suikoden.
I wish JRPGs still didn't have voice acting.

would love a SH remake on the RE2 Engine.

wouldnt mind a splinter cell reboot as well.

I'm fine with remakes as long as they're done right. The original Resident Evil 1 and 2 were two of my favorite games of all time and I now consider the remakes the definitive versions of those games.

I also think a lot of developers have gotten lazy in some ways. Resident Evil is a good example. While I enjoyed RE7 and 8, the game's designs are nowhere near as interesting or thoughtful. The labyrinths that are the mansion and police department of RE1 and 2 are replaced by much more linear, simple experiences in comparison in RE7 and 8. To be fair it started with RE4.

Zelda is another example. While I loved Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom is something special; Nintendo developers clearly have no interest in building traditional Zelda dungeons which require a lot more thought. The "dungeons" nowadays are limited and simple in comparison. I'd love a remake of the Ocarina of Time in the BOTW engine.

Back