Red Dead Redemption II - (Rate it)

What do you rate it at?

• Total voters
Most overrated game of all time. Dreadful controls, archaic mission structure, and boring as fuck. Great graphics, shame about the game.

Played it back when it came out and really enjoyed it. Legendary animals were cool and i really liked the world and the story at the start but after a while it became so obvious that Micah would fuck everything up that what should have been a twist was just "Yeah i knew he was gonna do something from the start of the game..."

When half the characters die in the town you're supposed to feel bad for them but i couldn't care less as very few of them felt meaningful in any way.

I honestly did like the game and persisted with it until after Arthur died and i was doing things as the other guy (forgot his name at this point) until one day i turned the game on and thought "Yeah this is boring me to tears just walking around a farm" and i traded it in. It's a good game with a great world and boring characters for the most part. How anyone ever thought this should have beaten God of War for GOTY honours is beyond me, but each to their own i guess.

After replaying it last year I've raised my score from a 5 to a 7. Still loads of problems and below average for a Rockstar game but I found it more enjoyable the second time around after my expectations had been lowered.

Best open world sandbox ever created.

Rockstar needs to up their game on mission structure, though. They also need to stop flirting with RPG mechanics and pick a street already. There is so much shit in RDR2 that is completely arbitrary, whether it's keeping your camp up to snuff, or improving certain skills, etc. You don't need any of it to beat the game, so after a bit, there's really no urgency or reason to be doing all this busywork. Options are nice to have, but when you can opt out of an entire game mechanic, it doesn't feel all that necessary to have in the first place.

I'd still rate it a 10/10 though. One of two or three games of last gen that actually felt like a true next-gen experience.

Best open world sandbox ever created.

Rockstar needs to up their game on mission structure, though. They also need to stop flirting with RPG mechanics and pick a street already. There is so much shit in RDR2 that is completely arbitrary, whether it's keeping your camp up to snuff, or improving certain skills, etc. You don't need any of it to beat the game, so after a bit, there's really no urgency or reason to be doing all this busywork. Options are nice to have, but when you can opt out of an entire game mechanic, it doesn't feel all that necessary to have in the first place.

I'd still rate it a 10/10 though. One of two or three games of last gen that actually felt like a true next-gen experience.

I'm not super far into the game yet, but I think they tried to cram too much into it at times. Worrying about what I'm wearing because it's hot/cold? Brushing my horse? I don't need that level of realism in my games.

Also, maybe I'm just dumb but I don't understand certain aspects of the game. Why should I donate money to the camp? Why should I bring dead animals to the butcher? Can I just ignore these things, or will it come back to haunt me in the future?

Finally, I wish you could just hold X and have your horse run at or near its top speed on long trips. Having to keep tapping X is annoying and I worry about wearing out the buttons on my PS4 controller, being that I've already broken one in the first 2 months of ownership.

Last edited:
I'm not super far into the game yet, but I think they tried to cram too much into it. Worrying about what I'm wearing because it's hot/cold? Brushing my horse? I don't need that level of realism in my games.

Also, maybe I'm just dumb but I don't understand certain aspects of the game. Why should I donate money to the camp? Why should I bring dead animals to the butcher? Can I just ignore these things, or will it come back to haunt me in the future?

All of those elements point to what I was saying about Rockstar implementing these gameplay features, but not really making them essential for making progress. They're only there for people who choose to play it like a life sim, but don't have any real bearing on how the campaign plays out. They're purely optional. The clothing thing for instance, is a good one. It doesn't really matter. It penalizes you ever so slightly for not being properly clothed for certain weather, but nothing that will actually impede you. You can go into the snowy mountains in your underwear, and you won't freeze to death or anything. You get a slight penalty to some stats, but it doesn't effect much at all. You'll still easily take out whatever group of enemies they throw at you.

As for your questions, it's all optional, but you donate money to the camp to buy better stuff for the camp, and the butcher wants the pelts and whatnot, so he can craft better gear for you and the camp. It's all optional though. You can leave the camp starving, and the story will just continue as it would all the same.

Finally, I wish you could just hold X and have your horse run at or near its top speed on long trips. Having to keep tapping X is annoying and I worry about wearing out the buttons on my PS4 controller, being that I've already broken one in the first 2 months of ownership.

You can put it into cinematic mode(start button) for most of the trips you take on a mission. When it's in that mode, you just hold "X", and you'll follow along. I'd go a step further, and just make those sequences purely cinematic. The only thing that can really happen on those long trips that pulls you out the on-rails follow the leader crap, is if you screw up and run into a tree or whatever, which is more annoying than anything.

All of those elements point to what I was saying about Rockstar implementing these gameplay features, but not really making them essential for making progress. They're only there for people who choose to play it like a life sim, but don't have any real bearing on how the campaign plays out. They're purely optional. The clothing thing for instance, is a good one. It doesn't really matter. It penalizes you ever so slightly for not being properly clothed for certain weather, but nothing that will actually impede you. You can go into the snowy mountains in your underwear, and you won't freeze to death or anything. You get a slight penalty to some stats, but it doesn't effect much at all. You'll still easily take out whatever group of enemies they throw at you.

As for your questions, it's all optional, but you donate money to the camp to buy better stuff for the camp, and the butcher wants the pelts and whatnot, so he can craft better gear for you and the camp. It's all optional though. You can leave the camp starving, and the story will just continue as it would all the same.

You can put it into cinematic mode(start button) for most of the trips you take on a mission. When it's in that mode, you just hold "X", and you'll follow along. I'd go a step further, and just make those sequences purely cinematic. The only thing that can really happen on those long trips that pulls you out the on-rails follow the leader crap, is if you screw up and run into a tree or whatever, which is more annoying than anything.

Gotcha, thanks for those clarifications. Especially the cinematic camera, gotta try that out.

In spite of my criticisms I do like the game. If I had more time I could possibly get into the "sim" style of playing, but with my limited free time in this day and age I prefer a more streamlined experience.

Playing it now, ridiculously good looking game, tutorial/chapter one is a slog but once things open up its a lot of fun, definitely some tedious things (traveling to the various hunting areas then running around for hours trying to find a specific 3 star pelt = ugh )

Will definitely agree the bounty/wanted system is ridiculous though... rob a train with a mask on and somehow everyone still knows who you are to put a bounty on you and you are almost instantly swarmed with lawmen, even in the middle of nowhere...

Will definitely agree the bounty/wanted system is ridiculous though... rob a train with a mask on and somehow everyone still knows who you are to put a bounty on you and you are almost instantly swarmed with lawmen, even in the middle of nowhere...

Yeah, that system is manageable, but it's so strict in how you need to pull the anonymity off, that it feels broken. There are full blown 10 minute tutorial videos on Youtube on how to make it work, but why does it need it? It really shouldn't be so complicated. I get why they might not want to make masking up a feature that can essentially break the game, but there's gotta a better way to do it.

10/10 I found the game almost perfect but the first was my all time favourite so I was always going to love it unless they fucked up massively. Been playing a lot online too thought it has made aspects of the single player experience annoying like the over long skinning, eagle eye (not dead eye) slowing things down.

I took my time going thought it to explore and do all the side missions ect but still didn’t find a lot of the stuff there is to find like the ghost trains, ufo ect. It made me laugh when a few people where getting mad when some YouTuber killed the suffragette (despite having to actually help them in order to progress) yet totally ignored the fact that one of the random encounters sees Arthur getting literally raped.

The story did it for me. It was a good game and it satisfied a lot of parameters of what I consider worth it in a video game. I am not into multiplayer games so this release was perfect for me. The grinding part is fine since it was achievable. I enjoy long games and thought they can squeeze in a single player DLC like witcher 3. With that said, I almost quit the game because it crashed so much because of the launcher.

Played it a few months ago. Pretty fun. Good story. Gets pretty repetitive though. I’d say 7.5

Back