Red Dead Redemption II - (Rate it)

What do you rate it at?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
For those who already played it. What's the rating you would give it so far?

Also you can change your rating when your finish with the game.

Last edited:
9 - Great. Played since it was unlocked.
I'll start with the negatives since there are very few.

Controls:
I will admit that the controls can be a little tough to get use to (which leads to you committing crimes you didnt intend to). There is an adjustment period to this, playing with settings helps.

Long rides: Riding can be very fun, espeically when you let cinematic camera drive you around, but I wish there was more to do while riding such as maybe reviewing animalsory and herbs, but that just pauses the game. There are very limited fast travel options. The great thing is that there is so much to the world that traversing usually leads to new stories.

Mass Killings: This has nothing to do with the morality. I have no issues playing an Outlaw because I think playing an outlaw is the best thing for these types of games ( I always find it weird playing heros who decide to kill up 40 people at a location and loot all their stuff). But just a thing Rockstar tends to do. They have so many things implemented in this game to add realism, yet there are missions where you will randomly be shooting up over 25 people or hordes. It just retracts from the realism of what a gun fight should feel like. I wish gun fights were more rare, that gang attacks were less common on the roads. Oddly enough, when you have a fist fight between two people it is significantly harder than shooting against 8.

The Pros..:

The World: Probably the best world in any game ever, it just sets the standards so dam high. When I plug my headphones in and do first person, I literally feel like I'm in another world. I haven't felt this way since I was 9, it's extremely surreal. Conversations are so natural and describe the context. Quests come up organically. As an example, I was playing a game of poker with some of my camp mates and one of them was just making small talk about how he missed an old pocketwatch, while I was setting my chips down I agreed to help him and had a quest open. It's not like other games where you see a "!" and have to click to start. Npcs will come up to you, you will see branching paths based on your decisions. This is the best world in any game I've ever played. Furthermore, there are so many different biomes and animals that habitat those locations, plants that grow in specific areas, fish, temperature changes, it's amazing.

The Characters: I really enjoy the characters in this story. They feel like real people and each one has unique personality characteristics, hobbies and interests. Some are more aggresive, some have sensitive topics (for example, the native american Charles is very sensitive to needless animal killing), you have a little boy who is absolutely adorable, and a drunk preacher. It's amazing, and there is so much to it that I really feel part of the story. The main protagnanist Arthur himself is very funny and a complex character. As a Southerner I thought his accent would be cliche but I actually really like it, he's got a drunken southern slur to his speech.

Sound/Music/Voice: All top notch, soundtracks are excellent. Guns sound impactful, I legit jumped out of my chair when a random shot was aimed at me when I was riding my horse peacefully. The music knows when it's better to be silent and doesn't replay enough to become cumbersome. Voice acting is something else, these are high class voice actors who know how to incorporate proper speech impediments to sound natural. It's extremely rare that I hear a voice that takes me out of the experience, and most voices are unique.

Gameplay: There is a lot to do, while the combat may hold things back there is just an abundance of things to do. I can wake up and decide to go fish, gather some herbs and then cut some logs up for my camp. The next day I can spend cleaning myself, my guns and my horse while cooking up a meal and chatting with mates. I can rob a train the following day or go to town for drinks+games, maybe a show. It feels real and fun. I dig it. I had a moment where I got off of a train and it was pouring, on an underpass was a guy sitting playing dominos and I joined him for a game that must have lasted 30 minutes.

I can go on and on, feel free to ask questions.

9 - Great. Played since it was unlocked.
I'll start with the negatives since there are very few.

Controls:
I will admit that the controls can be a little tough to get use to (which leads to you committing crimes you didnt intend to). There is an adjustment period to this, playing with settings helps.

Long rides: Riding can be very fun, espeically when you let cinematic camera drive you around, but I wish there was more to do while riding such as maybe reviewing animalsory and herbs, but that just pauses the game. There are very limited fast travel options. The great thing is that there is so much to the world that traversing usually leads to new stories.

Mass Killings: This has nothing to do with the morality. I have no issues playing an Outlaw because I think playing an outlaw is the best thing for these types of games ( I always find it weird playing heros who decide to kill up 40 people at a location and loot all their stuff). But just a thing Rockstar tends to do. They have so many things implemented in this game to add realism, yet there are missions where you will randomly be shooting up over 25 people or hordes. It just retracts from the realism of what a gun fight should feel like. I wish gun fights were more rare, that gang attacks were less common on the roads. Oddly enough, when you have a fist fight between two people it is significantly harder than shooting against 8.

The Pros..:

The World: Probably the best world in any game ever, it just sets the standards so dam high. When I plug my headphones in and do first person, I literally feel like I'm in another world. I haven't felt this way since I was 9, it's extremely surreal. Conversations are so natural and describe the context. Quests come up organically. As an example, I was playing a game of poker with some of my camp mates and one of them was just making small talk about how he missed an old pocketwatch, while I was setting my chips down I agreed to help him and had a quest open. It's not like other games where you see a "!" and have to click to start. Npcs will come up to you, you will see branching paths based on your decisions. This is the best world in any game I've ever played. Furthermore, there are so many different biomes and animals that habitat those locations, plants that grow in specific areas, fish, temperature changes, it's amazing.

The Characters: I really enjoy the characters in this story. They feel like real people and each one has unique personality characteristics, hobbies and interests. Some are more aggresive, some have sensitive topics (for example, the native american Charles is very sensitive to needless animal killing), you have a little boy who is absolutely adorable, and a drunk preacher. It's amazing, and there is so much to it that I really feel part of the story. The main protagnanist Arthur himself is very funny and a complex character. As a Southerner I thought his accent would be cliche but I actually really like it, he's got a drunken southern slur to his speech.

Sound/Music/Voice: All top notch, soundtracks are excellent. Guns sound impactful, I legit jumped out of my chair when a random shot was aimed at me when I was riding my horse peacefully. The music knows when it's better to be silent and doesn't replay enough to become cumbersome. Voice acting is something else, these are high class voice actors who know how to incorporate proper speech impediments to sound natural. It's extremely rare that I hear a voice that takes me out of the experience, and most voices are unique.

Gameplay: There is a lot to do, while the combat may hold things back there is just an abundance of things to do. I can wake up and decide to go fish, gather some herbs and then cut some logs up for my camp. The next day I can spend cleaning myself, my guns and my horse while cooking up a meal and chatting with mates. I can rob a train the following day or go to town for drinks+games, maybe a show. It feels real and fun. I dig it. I had a moment where I got off of a train and it was pouring, on an underpass was a guy sitting playing dominos and I joined him for a game that must have lasted 30 minutes.

I can go on and on, feel free to ask questions.

It's a great game. The only gripe I have is that the character interactions can sometimes be overly sensitive, especially when accidentally bumping into people. You bump into them, you're fired upon, and you defend yourself killing your attacker. Sometimes the locals will report this, and now you're wanted. I think killings that are the result of self defense shouldn't be held against you.

It's a great game. The only gripe I have is that the character interactions can sometimes be overly sensitive, especially when accidentally bumping into people. You bump into them, you're fired upon, and you defend yourself killing your attacker. Sometimes the locals will report this, and now you're wanted. I think killings that are the result of self defense shouldn't be held against you.

yeah it depends sometimes on how you react, you can usually defuse but the time to defuse isnt long.

For example, I had accidentally bumped my horse into a guy while leading my horse, he got pissed and contacted the sheriff. The sheriff came and I defused the situation, he told me to get the fuck out and I did and came back later. The sheriff said "Ok, you get one strike but don't do it again" and things were good.

But there have been times where I just start getting shot at and just bail.

yeah it depends sometimes on how you react, you can usually defuse but the time to defuse isnt long.

For example, I had accidentally bumped my horse into a guy while leading my horse, he got pissed and contacted the sheriff. The sheriff came and I defused the situation, he told me to get the fuck out and I did and came back later. The sheriff said "Ok, you get one strike but don't do it again" and things were good.

But there have been times where I just start getting shot at and just bail.

Oh ok, yeah man. The people can be moody. lol

I bought a hotel room, and accidently went into the wrong one. Inside were a guy and a girl. I go to leave quickly and the guy makes a provocative comment and follows me into the hallway. Before I could turn around he is already pelting me with his fists. I turn around finally and beat him, I'm assuming to death. The girl screams, and wants to try to run to tell. Look lady, I made a mistake and the guy went to end me lol. What am I supposed to do? It sounds really bad but I ended up choking her out, and fleeing out the back door while the guy working the desk was investigating the noise. I didn't even get to use the room I paid for. smh lol

It's a great game.

Who the fuck has finished this game already?

11/10

GTA in the wild west. Just dont try and run over a bear with your horse, that doesnt end well

Batman is a wanted fugitive too but you dont see him complaining

9/10 so far, amazing world and interactions but also a lot of annoying things

cons:

controls/settings could be better (same with every other rockstar game, iirc, but rdr2's controls are convoluted, to say the least)
gameplay is still kind of slow/clunky (same with every other rockstar game...) - movement/action seems to have some sort of extraordinary response time, unlike other fps/tps that are faster/more responsive
button prompts

pros:

everything else.

9/10, so far

edit: sick of the way bounties are handed out like candy/there seems to be no point in evading and the game doesn't seem nearly as deep/big as i expected. additionally, the checkpoint system is retarded and i guess expects us all to be a bunch of big babies (intentionally played like a jackass and still incrementally passed a major mission - playing poorly shouldn't be rewarded)

downgraded to a 7.5. pretty disappointed. should have stuck to my 'never pre-order a game' principle.

edit 2:

6/10.

game is kind of bad. inexcusable problems/bugs/etc galore. just did a mission where inexplicably i was using the worst guns i have and i had no option to change them (L1 did nothing). so i reloaded the previous save and the same thing happened... so i ran to my horse to switch the guns to what i actually use and went back... and... SAME THING. the shittiest guns i have and ones i haven't used since day 1. wtf. so i played through it and dropped guns were fucking levitating. turned it off...

Last edited:
8/10 so far. Would get 10/10 if it had a decent wanted and evasion system and the controls were better. It's also weird how Rockstar encourages you to be a good person in the game, considering you're an outlaw and enforcer in a gang killing loads of innocent civilians!

8/10

If not for the horrific controls and bugged wanted system resulting in almost control pad destroying misery it wouldn't be far off perfection.

8/10

If not for the horrific controls and bugged wanted system resulting in almost control pad destroying misery it wouldn't be far off perfection.
the controls are literally the same as every game rockstar has released. have you ever played any gta game?

the controls are literally the same as every game rockstar has released. have you ever played any gta game?
Im really confused about people complaining about the controls. It plays exactly like the last one and gta. I keep asking which games handle better and havent gotten many responses just vague answers. I want a list so I can check those games out. One game I do like is Ghost Recon Wildlands. That plays more like a FPS though and maybe thats what people want.

Yes. I don't remember the shooting in gta 4 or 5 being this bad. Red Dead Redemption controls weren't great either and would've hoped for some improvements 8 years on.

Im really confused about people complaining about the controls. It plays exactly like the last one and gta. I keep asking which games handle better and havent gotten many responses just vague answers. I want a list so I can check those games out. One game I do like is Ghost Recon Wildlands. That plays more like a FPS though and maybe thats what people want.
Never played Wildlands but The Division has the most fluid shooting and cover system i've experienced in a game.

Never played Wildlands but The Division has the most fluid shooting and cover system i've experienced in a game.
the division was pretty sweet. probably the funnest game i have played since making my channel. nothing like doing a combat roll towards a boss then instantly pulling out a riot shield and pistol and getting 10 headshots without taking any damage

its funny how main gaming websites put out full walkthroughs of games within 5 minutes of a game being released. This is the death of gaming.

Back