Reason why LHW looks so lackluster..

A dominant champ makes divisions look weak. Lhw is suffering from this currently.

Fighters in other divisions have been making statements for themselves though as of recent.

Jacare's KO over Okami.
Weidman when he KO'd Munoz.
Hendricks when he KO'd both Fitch & Kampmann while having wins against Koscheck & Condit.
Anthony Pettis being the first to TKO Cerrone.
Swanson, Mendes & Lamas making statements for Aldo.

The top 10 LHW's fight like they're afraid to lose to each other.

Good analysis. I agree, and then Jones being dominant makes matters worse, I enjoyed the slut at a college party line too, very amusing.

Difference is a champ looks much more dominant when he finishes fights. GSP does not do that.

A dominant champion is a dominant champion. No one has come close to beating gsp and his reign has been going on a lot longer than bones. Finishing fights has nothing to do with no up and coming talent. Even if he did finish them there is still a new contender for him every fight cause the division is so deep.

Problem is there is no interesting challengers outside of Glover......Machida and Shogun just lost. While guys like Davis and Sonne won......no one cares about them for different reasons at LHW.

Problem is there is no interesting challengers outside of Glover......Machida and Shogun just lost. While guys like Davis and Sonne won......no one cares about them for different reasons at LHW.

Cormier..

A dominant champion is a dominant champion. No one has come close to beating gsp and his reign has been going on a lot longer than bones. Finishing fights has nothing to do with no up and coming talent. Even if he did finish them there is still a new contender for him every fight cause the division is so deep.

But Bones has already racked up a good amount of defenses, beating his opponents in a very dominant fashion unlike GSP. He destroys them, methodically. GSP does not do that. He's also never lost his belt.

I don't know, if DC puts a padlock on the fridge I can see it happening.

I'm thinking he should have a contenders fight 1st. Just too see how the cut goes. Dont wanna use a bad cut for an excuse for losing.

In Jones' first fight with Gusmao, Rogan was talking about how stacked and competitive the division was. Now that he's champ, it's a weak division.

Cormier..

Yah......he is a interesting contender. Personally I dont think he should get as shot right away....but he is. I would like to see the Jones fight.

But he's not quite there yet....still at HW for now....he's started making the move down so he most likely will go down.

jones' dominance. and the some of the top fighters are past their prime...

That cause all the top guys are over 35. Glover is the "up and comer" and he's 34. Phil Davis I guess is up there now too and he hasn't done 1 bit of damage to any ranked fighter since he subbed Gus 3 1/2 years ago. It's just a weird time with all the guys who were good a few years ago on the decline and they're stuck inviting non-champs from the division below for title fights and then giving it to a guy who was ranked 6 who pulled out of his last fight.

Yah......he is a interesting contender. Personally I dont think he should get as shot right away....but he is. I would like to see the Jones fight.

But he's not quite there yet....still at HW for now....he's started making the move down so he most likely will go down.

Dana has already said he will get the next shot as long as he and Jones win. Personally Glover has nothing for Jones and the only reason he will get a shot is because Jones has already cleaned out the division. I would like to see GLover and Davis fight for the next shot.

Cormier has proven much more then GLover imo

The ww division doesn't look very weak. There's just been no new talent in the lhw division as much as other divisions.

Every division LW and up look weak because the champions are on a completely different level than the competition.

Anthony Pettis is basically untouchable. GSP has mastered the art of nullifying his opponents attacks while not doing much else, which has worked wonders for him. Chris Weidman is undefeated and will stay that way for at least five years. Jon Jones is the greatest of all time. Cain is questionable I guess.

Dana has already said he will get the next shot as long as he and Jones win. Personally Glover has nothing for Jones and the only reason he will get a shot is because Jones has already cleaned out the division. I would like to see GLover and Davis fight for the next shot.

Cormier has proven much more then GLover imo

Apparently Dana "misspoke" according to Helwani. It's still Glover first in line.

A dominant champ makes divisions look weak. Lhw is suffering from this currently.

Wrong! The rest of the LHW division is very lackluster even when you take out Jones.

I hate when people say a dominant champ makes a division look weak. No that's not true. Lhw isn't weak, what it is, is old. Shogun, hendo, rashad, lil nog, machida(now mw). These guys have been near the top for a long time and are starting to decline. As we know with MMA fighters declines usually aren't gradual. Not to say they are all washed up but the end is near for shogun, Dan and Nog.

The lack of new blood and the fact the up and comers aren't anything to lose your head about. Bader, Davis, Gus(the exception). Honestly who is coming up? I can't think of anyone who looks like a future contender. After glover and Gus have their fights there will be no one for jones to fight.

It has little to do with jones being dominant. His ability doesn't affect the ability of the rest of the division. Gsp and Aldo both are pretty damn dominant but both have stacked divisions.

Back