Raw 800 squat

I thought thighs and calves meeting was what created the unhealthy pulling force on the knee.

This is a valid point and there is indeed a pulling force, so I'll try to explain my theoretical understanding of oly squats in more detail.

In both the oly and the PL-style squats, as the lifter approaches maximum depth, all the thigh muscles increase their degree of contraction and, as the muscles get tight, the descent momentum stretches their tendons (some kinetic energy from the descent is stored in the tendons in the form of elastic energy). At the bottom, the muscles are in nearly full contraction and the tendons are stretched (that is why, in order to take full advantage of the stretch reflex, you need to start thinking "PUSH" right before you hit max depth).

Now, if the lifter is doing a PL squat, then the bottom will be just bellow parallel and the tendons will be fully stretched. It follows that there is a specific limit for the speed of descent, and, if that limit is passed, there will be more energy stored in the tendons than they can handle, so the tendons will break.

In an oly squat, there is a certain amount of energy stored in the tendons, and the rest of it is absorbed by "bouncing" your thighs on your calves, so there is no fear of those tendons rupturing (those tendons are basically the hamstrings and adductors). That does produce a pulling force on your knee (like it wants to pull it apart), but at the same time the thigh muscles (specifically the quads) are contracted and their tendons stretched, so that stabilizes the knee joint (it produces an opposite force to the pulling one). In follows that there is also a specific limit to how fast an oly squat can be performed before the pulling force on the knee becomes too great, but that limit is higher than a PL-style squat where the entire force falls on the tendons (mainly) of the hamstrings and the adductors. Simply put, in an oly squat you can handle the same kinetic energy and then some.

Last edited:
That was pretty awesome. The bar bending in max strain across his shoulders and he squats it like it was 300 pounds great work.

Thanks for the explanation miaou.

Incredible squat; he buried it. Didn't even use a belt or wraps. All this at just 20 years old! I'm interested to see the carry over and what he totals in London 2012 assuming he competes in olympic weightlifting at that time. Can't credit this lifter enough.

Interesting method of training too by Broz, something to look into.

Incredible squat; he buried it. Didn't even use a belt or wraps. All this at just 20 years old! I'm interested to see the carry over and what he totals in London 2012 assuming he competes in olympic weightlifting at that time. Can't credit this lifter enough.

Interesting method of training too by Broz, something to look into.

Yeah he definitely has changed my training a bit. I've added in more squat sessions than I used to per week and have been doing quite well. I think he's definitely on to something about overtraining in regards to how he trains his athletes.

Yeah he definitely has changed my training a bit. I've added in more squat sessions than I used to per week and have been doing quite well. I think he's definitely on to something about overtraining in regards to how he trains his athletes.

Can you elaborate on the part in bold?

That's insanity... no spotter either.

and what the fuck would a spotter be able to do if he missed it? you are not helping a guy up with fuckign 800 lbs. dip shit.

and what the fuck would a spotter be able to do if he missed it? you are not helping a guy up with fuckign 800 lbs. dip shit.

When he slowed down in the middle, I was actually thinking to myself: "this video would probably be good whether he hit that weight or he didn't". I've got no idea how you bail out safely from an 800 pound squat. Let it roll down your back and step forward?

Unbelievable, Pat is probably one of the strongest men alive.

Excited to see how he does in 2012.

Last edited:

So aggressive.

Spotters can be used for squats.

Here:

I did a 800 lbs squat once, when I was 21 years old and trying to make it to a NFL training camp. My training partner bet me I couldn't do it. I did, and felt it for about a month. I did 650lbs as a sophmore in HS, and never tried going that heavy until then. It helped that I was 320 lbs at the time of the squat, didn't help that I'm 6'3" and that much weight can cause you to get into bad posture.

Raw usually just means a suit wasn't involved.

"Unsuited" would mean a suit wasn't involved. Raw would additionally mean no knee wraps. The reason being, knee wraps add kilos to the lift.

Back