Raw 800 squat

PWR1982

Green Belt
Reaction score
Saw the video posted by gierrod, and realized that nobody posted this vid yet, so I just thought I would share-

That barbell did not look like it could take much more.

Everyone was discussing this kid in that John Broz thread. Big talent.

Uh he's wearing the specialized quintuple ply shorts.

Pretty much the heaviest rock bottom 0 gear lift I have seen at such weight.

That's insanity... no spotter either.

The coach there says it is more safe to squat that way as you can dump the vid off your back easily. There's vids of failed attempts of squats somewhere on their channel i think.

The coach there says it is more safe to squat that way as you can dump the vid off your back easily. There's vids of failed attempts of squats somewhere on their channel i think.

ahh, yea on second thought...wtf is a spotter going to do with 800 pds. . . pending the lift is a complete fail lol... very impressive!

Didn't he hit the bottom very hard? I couldn't help worrying for a bit there.

It must be safe to do because many oly lifters have been doing it for years. Though theres too much conflicting views its an interesting topic.

When doing an oly-style squat (high bar position, oly shoes, ass to ankles), the momentum pretty much stops on your thighs and calves (and not on the ligaments of your knee or your muscle-tendon complexes), so you can do it at a greater speed than a raw pl-style squat.

When doing an oly-style squat (high bar position, oly shoes, ass to ankles), the momentum pretty much stops on your thighs and calves (and not on the ligaments of your knee or your muscle-tendon complexes), so you can do it at a greater speed than a raw pl-style squat.

I thought thighs and calves meeting was what created the unhealthy pulling force on the knee.

Are you saying it is your thigh muscles and calves that absorb all the downward force?

Back