Rate Daniel Cormier's Performance (Jones v. Cormier)

He fought very well. Problem was the guy he was fighting is just better in every regard so it didnt really matter.

4/10

Started good but let Jones beat him at his own game.
For all that "embrace the grind" he was trowing around, he should have done better.

7 till he gassed (the first 3 rounds)

maybe 3 after that?

so... 5 overall??

I give him a 7. I liked what he was trying to do and to some extent suceeding to do for the first 3 rounds (which were great). But he clearly fell apart thereafter.

And I don't know what the tactics were in the 5th. He should have been swinging like he was in the last 5 seconds.

If you're not impressed with Cormier, it's simply because you don't like Jones. Jones passed the toughest test possible and had to work for it. And worked fucking hard.

8. He did far better than I thought he would. Everyone saying he fought terribly is just trying to discredit Bones.

I didn't like his strategy in the opening round. Didn't he watch any of JBJ's videos? Don't stand in front of the fuckin' dude, lol.

He did smarten up towards the end of the round.

I give him a 7.

These are the brightest lights that you can fight under in the current UFC, and he looked poised. His striking looked good. His chin was very good.

I think DC/AKA/Javier were just bewitched by Jones himself, and the risky ass gameplan they employed. I mean, judging by Jon's awkward movement every time DC was within range...I think his gameplan was to flat out out-wrestle/out-tough DC. He wanted to clinch/phonebooth DC.

I bet that camp was the only group of people to think that Bones' gameplan was to do the opposite of distance/TDD/strike-to-keep-DC-off. Risky (and manly) as shit, but effective tonight.

7, he was doing well in rounds 1-3, round 5 and especially round 4 not so much :icon_sad:

6, he gave a good performance, possibly won rounds 2-3 but have to rewatch, but he wasn't prepared for a 5 round grueling war.

I voted 6. If he had twice the gas tank and fought like he did in round 1-2 throughout the whole fight I would have given him an 8-9.

I would give him a 6 for throwing some good bombs. But he was outclassed, period.

Jones TDD is out of this world.. DC had his legs 7 times and Jones shrugged it off.. He also put DC on the fence with relative ease.. Who the hell saw that coming?

I didn't see it coming but I wasn't on the side thatt felt DC would take him down at will. Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought I heard his corner tell him to secure the TD before the 5th round started.
It was pretty obvious that Jones was up 3-1 and to put all your effort into a TD when you need to finish was stupid.

Jones is a beast. Not losing to anyone for a long time.

I'd give him a 6 as well. He tagged Jones more than anyone ever has after Gustaffson.

His gameplan was correct, his cardio just couldn't keep up.

DC clearly has better boxing than Jones. As did Gustaffson.

clearly? What match were you watching? DC had less effective striking in every round, and i believe had less landed shots in the majority of them. A big part of why DC lost was eating body shots Jones threw at him specifically to gas the guy.

Jones striking combined with his fight IQ far exceeded DC's. Otherwise we'd be talking about what Jones could have done to win the match.

For a 35 year old with a significant reach/height disadvantage, I thought he took it to Jones fairly well. He was landing some good shots in the early rounds, and he was almost always pressing the action and coming forward, even after tiring. He definitely took at least one round from Jones.

Jones' TDs didn't amount to anything of note--DC got right back up after each, so I don't give those a whole lot of value. Honestly, Jones didn't look amazing against him, despite the substantial advantages in size/reach. He didn't look bad either, but he was much less dominant than he's been in the past.

There was a bit of wallnstall toward the end that should have been broken up.

I'll say 7/10.

Back