Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Mission: Impossible II 4/10.
I don't know how every other MI is so good but this one is terrible. These is probably my 3rd time watching it as I wanted to give it another chance.
The cuts and the slo-mo are just terribly times. Tom Cruise's hair was the main focus of the movie.

Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_%281990_film%29_poster.jpg

Being a 1st grader at the time, I was a crazy TMNT mark, and throw in that my dad took the day off, and picked me up early (at lunch) from school so I could "see it first" among my friends was pretty awesome. It still holds up.

Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_%281990_film%29_poster.jpg

Being a 1st grader at the time, I was a crazy TMNT mark, and throw in that my dad took the day off, and picked me up early (at lunch) from school so I could "see it first" among my friends was pretty awesome. It still holds up.

Awesome movie- probably one of the first I saw in a theater. Not only does it hold up, but I’m of the opinion that it remains the best adaptation of Ninja Turtles for film or television that has ever been made.

El Mariachi - good low budget well paced movie. It's been a while since I've seen the other two with Banderas so I might revisit them soon. This one though, enjoyed it. Some good action and fun characters.

Solid 7/10 at least

Beverly Hills cop 2 - big step down from the first I think. I liked it more when I saw it years ago. I mean its not terrible and there are some good moments but I felt like the pacing is really off and I couldn't get invested or "lose myself" in it the same way I could the first.

6/10 maybe.

Tremors
- I liked it. Funny, clever, goofy and sometimes scary. I enjoyed Ward and Bacon's friendship. I liked how although it's supposed to be tongue and cheek the characters are actually pretty smart and make logical or creative decisions and aren't typical dumb horror characters. Really laughed at the tremor POV camera. Despite the comedy the graboids were pretty creepy looking. Maybe SOME of the dialogue was a little bad beyond the point of just making fun of bad dialogue.

7.5 or 8 maybe.

The Apartment
- It was a freely available classic and I've been interested in seeing it for a while so I said why not. I wont use the term blown away but i really really liked it. I thought Jack Lemmon was awesome in it, really rooted for him throughout the movie and genuinely felt bad for him several times. Shirley Maclaine was great too. thought it was a good example of how you can have a movie with a simple premise and a (somewhat) predictable story and still make it smart and engaging

Cant think of much I didnt like. Maybe the pacing of the 2nd quarter was a little off.

Maybe a 9/10 honestly.

Hudson Hawk

Fuck me. Let this be a lesson to actually look into a movie before watching it. I’d never seen this movie before, but had vague recollections of coming across favourable mentions of it here on Sherdog. For whatever reason I only remembered posts like this:

What about Hudson Hawk, probably his piece de la resistanz

Instead of posts like this:

This is the C minus list bro.

Hudson Hawk and Highlander 2 are among the worst movies of the decade.

For the first five to ten minutes I didn’t really pick up on how amiss things were with this movie, it just seemed a little quirky. Even through the first heist scene at the beginning of the movie I thought maybe it was going to be a little more zany than I was expecting but still could have some promise, but as soon as they introduced James Coburn’s character and his squad of “candy bar” hit men or whatever I knew the movie was going irrevocably off the fucking rails into the absurd as it just got more and more insane. This movie was like Escape from LA on meth.

My wife hated it. She only agreed to it because we’ve been on a Bruce Willis binge since watching the first four Die Hard movies over the holidays. This is probably going to cost me getting laid for a week.

3/10 would not watch again.

Hudson Hawk

Fuck me. Let this be a lesson to actually look into a movie before watching it. I’d never seen this movie before, but had vague recollections of coming across favourable mentions of it here on Sherdog.

For the first five to ten minutes I didn’t really pick up on how amiss things were with this movie, it just seemed a little quirky. Even through the first heist scene at the beginning of the movie I thought maybe it was going to be a little more zany than I was expecting but still could have some promise, but as soon as they introduced James Coburn’s character and his squad of “candy bar” hit men or whatever I knew the movie was going irrevocably off the fucking rails into the absurd as it just got more and more insane. This movie was like Escape from LA on meth.

My wife hated it. She only agreed to it because we’ve been on a Bruce Willis binge since watching the first four Die Hard movies over the holidays. This is probably going to cost me getting laid for a week.

Heh, yeah Hudson Hawk is kind of like the weird step-cousin of Ford Fairlane. Throw that one on if you want the wife to shut you out for another two weeks.

Fletch
- I know a lot of people love this movie. I can see why. I didn't see it at the right time to have that connection with it, but I thought it was really good. I like the score and Chase is great in it. I'd say what surprised me most is that the movie has a surprisingly competent mystery/"detective" story going on with the dry and sarcastic humor of Chase complimenting it well. I think it does because the film doesnt quite make him a complete assclown and includes a few character breaks between the sass that make his attitude feel less gag-ish. Had fun with it overall.

7.5/10 or so

Escape from New York
- I've seen it a bunch of times and it has a special place in my heart. I cant even say why in a complete manner. It's just one of those movies that has some undeniable factor. It shouldn't work , there isnt the amount of action you'd expect going in, there are some goofy moments and minor plot holes and conveniences...but it just does.

Kurt as Snake is simply fantastic. He nails it. The atmosphere is great and the pacing is on point to a T. There is no wasted moment even though the film rides a slower wave than you might expect going in. It has a lot of mixed genre going on too. Its a not quite a thriller, not quite an action movie, not quite a drama, all within a dystopian future scifi setting. It doesn't say too much and does a great job world building with minimal amounts of exposition. The score and the ending are great, both some of my favorites in both categories.

9.5/10

Surprisingly still havent seen EFLA even though EFNY is one I've seen a bunch of times. I heard mixed things but I'm planning on finally watching it soon.

Fletch
- I know a lot of people love this movie. I can see why. I didn't see it at the right time to have that connection with it, but I thought it was really good. I like the score and Chase is great in it. I'd say what surprised me most is that the movie has a surprisingly competent mystery/"detective" story going on with the dry and sarcastic humor of Chase complimenting it well. I think it does because the film doesnt quite make him a complete assclown and includes a few character breaks between the sass that make his attitude feel less gag-ish. Had fun with it overall.

7.5/10 or so

Escape from New York
- I've seen it a bunch of times and it has a special place in my heart. I cant even say why in a complete manner. It's just one of those movies that has some undeniable factor. It shouldn't work , there isnt the amount of action you'd expect going in, there are some goofy moments and minor plot holes and conveniences...but it just does.

Kurt as Snake is simply fantastic. He nails it. The atmosphere is great and the pacing is on point to a T. There is no wasted moment even though the film rides a slower wave than you might expect going in. It has a lot of mixed genre going on too. Its a not quite a thriller, not quite an action movie, not quite a drama, all within a dystopian future scifi setting. It doesn't say too much and does a great job world building with minimal amounts of exposition. The score and the ending are great, both some of my favorites in both categories.

9.5/10

Surprisingly still havent seen EFLA even though EFNY is one I've seen a bunch of times. I heard mixed things but I'm planning on finally watching it soon.

As a big EFNY fan I’ve got nothing but bad things to say about EFLA. I haven’t even seen it in 25 years, but even when I was 13 I thought it was dogshit. So bad. So dumb.

As a big EFNY fan I’ve got nothing but bad things to say about EFLA. I haven’t even seen it in 25 years, but even when I was 13 I thought it was dogshit. So bad. So dumb.

That's what I keep hearing and part of the reason I've kept avoiding it.

Plane 7/10 (could easily be a 5 or 6 if you go in with high expectations or know plot, went in without watching the trailer or anything and it was a pleasant surprise)

January ditching that movie wasteland stigma, M3GAN was fun, Plane was fun. A nice suspenseful start before things get crazy in a wild finale. It's a basic quick movie with some plot holes but transported me back to 90s action. Gerard Butler continues to make these types of movies work. The final 20 or so minutes of this movie was a fun ride.

Hudson Hawk

Fuck me. Let this be a lesson to actually look into a movie before watching it. I’d never seen this movie before, but had vague recollections of coming across favourable mentions of it here on Sherdog. For whatever reason I only remembered posts like this:

Instead of posts like this:

Just watched it a couple days ago and man you arn't wrong. Its batshit crazy and nothing adds up.

It has children's movie level of logic, it seemed like it should have been a kids movie but they toss around f bombs amd kill people. So weird

Very silly movie, worth checking out just for the absurdity of it. I laughed a bunch of times but not with it, just guffawing out of bewilderment.

The world's best cat burglar sings while he sneaks? huh?

Its something else. Never seen a more confused movie, it cant decide what it is. Is it a bad thriller, is it an awful comedy? Goddamned mess but I was smiling throughout.

Last movie to be released by tristar, constant reshoots on it stressed their budget and they had to sell the studio.

Bruce willis wrote it and my god did he ever fuck that up

Friday

This was one of my older brother’s favourite movies when we were growing up. I had seen it before, but probably not since 1996 or 1997 if I had to guess. It’s got its charm I guess, but it doesn’t really hold up, and it wasn’t as funny as I remember either. I kind of forgot that nothing really happens in the movie, like at all. There’s less going on than your typical episode of Seinfeld.

I’d give it a 6.5/10 probably. I was expecting 8/10 based on my memories not of the movie itself, but how I remember feeling about it the last time I saw it 26 or 27 years ago. I’m going to watch the rest of the films because fuck it, why not. I last saw Next Friday in 2000 when it first came out on video, and I’ve never seen Friday After Next. I’m not expecting much, as I remember thinking Next Friday wasn’t as good as Friday due to the absence of Chris Tucker. Guess we’ll see.

Friday

This was one of my older brother’s favourite movies when we were growing up. I had seen it before, but probably not since 1996 or 1997 if I had to guess. It’s got its charm I guess, but it doesn’t really hold up, and it wasn’t as funny as I remember either. I kind of forgot that nothing really happens in the movie, like at all. There’s less going on than your typical episode of Seinfeld.

I’d give it a 6.5/10 probably. I was expecting 8/10 based on my memories not of the movie itself, but how I remember feeling about it the last time I saw it 26 or 27 years ago. I’m going to watch the rest of the films because fuck it, why not. I last saw Next Friday in 2000 when it first came out on video, and I’ve never seen Friday After Next. I’m not expecting much, as I remember thinking Next Friday wasn’t as good as Friday due to the absence of Chris Tucker. Guess we’ll see.

Yeah Friday is one of those movies thats more fun for a casual watch with friends while you're half paying attention than by yourself. It does have its moments.

Next Friday and Friday after next have their moments too. Not great but okay.

The Verdict (1982)

Legal drama starring Paul Newman as an aging alcoholic lawyer reduced to crashing funerals looking for personal liability cases. Newman's last remaining prospect is a medical malpractice lawsuit passed on to him by an old friend. All involved want the case settled out of court. Newman is expected to do the minimum to get it settled and make a 1/3 commission in the process. He has an unexpected change of heart after seeing the comatose victim and decides to take the case to court where he is matched up against a huge law firm.

Newman is incredible in the role. It is a well written film (screenplay by David Mamet based on a novel) that generally trusts the audience to piece together the motivations of the characters (lots of show, less tell).

The court room scenes are muted but effective. I wonder if I have been so conditioned by growing up with Law & Order that perhaps any court scene that does not have Hank McCoy looking like his head is about to explode seems low-key to me.

The film follows the basic outline of lots of other courtroom dramas but still stands apart due to Newman's performance and a good script.

220px-Verdict1.jpg

Boilingpointpost.jpg

Boiling Point - Wesley Snipes, Dennis Hopper, and Viggo Mortensen star in this action movie about a federal officer, Jimmy Mercer (Snipes) investigating a shooter who killed a federal officer. Two felons, Red (Hopper) and Ronnie (Mortensen) make a profit by dealing counterfeit funds in a get rich quick strategy 6/10

Upon further evaluation I have more appreciation for Boiling Point. What I have noticed is the fair share of online reviews stating the plot was too slow. Yet that was the principle, Boiling Point did not need senseless explosions and action.

The good thing with this movie was how it carefully depicted crime scenes, evidence and investigation. The actual law enforcement work. Unlike other action movies of the same era

Last edited:
A Scanner darkly.

- I liked it. I didnt really like the ending. The cel shading was a little much at first but I got used to it and it compliments the disconnective vibe of the movie. I remember when this film came out and I didnt watch it. It's crazy because the trio of Keanu/Robert Downey Jr/ Woody Harrelson is awesome and one of those films where the cast billing might sell more tickets today. Winona is good in it too.

I think the baseline criticism I'd give it is that the film doesnt finish its ideas on the same level it presents them. With some of that being the story in general and the execution. End felt a bit rushed and sudden.

I haven't read the book.

6.7/10

Watched a few last night:

Troll (2022)
Netflix monster movie, Norwegian film. Company digging out a new train line awaken the king troll - for a monster movie, it wasnt very action packed. I liked the troll itself, but would've liked more of them - Troll Hunter was way more fun that this.
5/10

Paradise Highway (2022)

Thriller, Juliette Binoche is a grizzled trucker given the task of people-trafficking a young girl but goes rogue. Quite grim at times, more slow-burning than action packed. Morgan Freeman is in it. Not much else to say, passed 2hrs.
6/10

The Gray Man (2022)

Ryan Gosling plays a CIA asset / assassin who comes upon some dodgy info and goes rogue in mainland Europe, pursued by a psycho Chris Evans and numerous other groups - it was harmless, fun nonsense. Nothing ground breaking, good action, enjoyed.
7/10

The Verdict (1982)

Legal drama starring Paul Newman as an aging alcoholic lawyer reduced to crashing funerals looking for personal liability cases. Newman's last remaining prospect is a medical malpractice lawsuit passed on to him by an old friend. All involved want the case settled out of court. Newman is expected to do the minimum to get it settled and make a 1/3 commission in the process. He has an unexpected change of heart after seeing the comatose victim and decides to take the case to court where he is matched up against a huge law firm.

Newman is incredible in the role. It is a well written film (screenplay by David Mamet based on a novel) that generally trusts the audience to piece together the motivations of the characters (lots of show, less tell).

The court room scenes are muted but effective. I wonder if I have been so conditioned by growing up with Law & Order that perhaps any court scene that does not have Hank McCoy looking like his head is about to explode seems low-key to me.

The film follows the basic outline of lots of other courtroom dramas but still stands apart due to Newman's performance and a good script.

220px-Verdict1.jpg

Big fan.

The pedigree is insane- the excellent Sidney Lumet (12 Angry Men, Serpico, Prince of the City, Dog Day Afternoon) at the helm, script by David Mamet, and Newman, James Mason, Jack Warden and Charlotte Rampling, all great actors in there. So yeah while it's nothing earth-shattering from a plot perspective, the professionalism and execution is off the charts.

Back