Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Cobra

5N1uR4x58uK9PltKxJ0CJl91TYI.jpg

Been meaning to watch it for a while. I got everything I expected. Fun cheesey over the top 80s action movie. It has some moments that were so corny and dumb it made me laugh. But other times it has some surprisingly well done stuff like Stallone and his partners friendship.

Brian Thompson as the slasher was great. He might be my favorite part. He's intense and gives the movie a slasher vibe with his trance like roided out with a knife thing going on.

Stallone as Cobra is awesome. Not sure what he was going for with some of the delivery of the lines though. He's trying a little too hard. Then again it sort of works if you can laugh at and roll with it.

Visually, really good. Has a lot of the 80's feel stuff I've come to enjoy. Like A foggy grocery store isle, what's not to love.

The finale and ending are awesome.

Lastly I'll say i think Bridgette Neilsen was surprisingly solid in it. Especially in the parts where Thompson is chasing her.

I'd give it like an 8. I had fun with it like I said and I think it has charming flaws that almost seem intentional. It also is under 90 minutes and paced even quicker. I'd watch it again.

Watched Next Friday and Friday After Next this week. The trilogy is an excellent example of a linear regression of declining quality from one film to the next. As I mentioned earlier in my post about Friday, I had seen Next Friday in 2000 but didn’t remember it very well. It’s really not that funny. I’d say 5/10.

Friday After Next was just plain bad. No idea why they even made this movie. I’m not sure if I laughed even once. 3/10

Kramer vs Kramer

220px-Oscar_posters_79.jpg

I can see a lot of the influence this had on "Marriage Story" but I think this film is a bit better. I liked the mix of comedy and drama, especially in the scenes with Hoffman and his kid.

You get a lot of great seamless transitions from serious moments into heartwarming ones and vice versa.

I thought it did a great job of exploring parental roles as well as what a woman's role is beside being a mother. It doesnt vilify Streep's character the way it could have. It also does well at exploring what if any maternal instincts a man can have when faced with raising a chid on his own, and Hoffman does a great job in the role struggling to keep everything from falling apart.

The finale in the court case was really great. But I didnt exactly love where the film ends. Overall though I think it's a great movie that's well written, well acted, and emotionally well rounded.

8.5/10 on first watch.

Arctic (2018)

Lean & austere survivalist film starring Mads Mikkelsen as the sole survivor of an Arctic plane crash. Overgard (Mads) is disciplined and experienced. His days are regimented - keep a SOS carved out of the snow, maintain ice fishing lines, climb up to a nearby hill to hand crank a radio beacon, and avoid polar bears. Ultimately Overgard must make a decision to either stay in the relative safety of the crashed plane or undertake a dangerous trek to what he hopes is a stocked seasonal refuge.

It is a fundamentally different approach to a survival story than Cast Away or The Martian. We don't know who Overgard was in his regular life, we do not follow him learning key skills to survive in his new environment, he does not have a video blog to explain what he is doing, and we are never shown anything outside of Overgard's own perspective. Instead the film is almost all show and very little tell. We learn about Overgard by observing him. We begin to understand his character by the decisions that he makes.

I loved this film. Mikkelsen is in almost every frame of the movie and he delivers a beautiful and nuanced performance. The scenery is both beautiful and frightening in its vastness. The film trusts the viewer to have the patience and intelligence to let the story play out.

The film is low budget but looks great. There is one scene where the lack of budget is obvious but it does not take away from the overall story.

Rating: 8/10

images

A Good Day to Die Hard (Die Hard 5)

After binging the first four Die Hard movies over the holidays I’d figure I’d check out #5 finally. It’s been out almost ten years and I’ve never seen it, largely because I didn’t care much for #4 and I had heard nothing but bad things about #5. However, after recently watching #4 and actually finding it better than I remember from when I first watched it 15 years ago I figured it was time to finally check out 5.

Overall I’d say it was better than I was expecting as I was expecting total dogshit, but I thought parts of it were OK. Where it fails I think is a bit of a weak third act that tries too hard to emulate the plot line of a season of the show 24 instead of feeling like a proper Die Hard film. This is too bad because earlier on the film was showing some promise I thought, like the truck chase scene through Moscow was really great I thought.

I had heard Jai Courtney was thoroughly unlikeable as McClean’s son and I would agree with that assessment. I don’t know if it’s the actor or the role because I find him unlikeable in most of his roles like in Terminator Genysis, but was reminded by a friend that he played Varro in season 1 of Spartacus where he was probably the most likeable character on that entire show, so I’m not sure what to make of it.

6.5/10

I saw 'Triangle of Sadness' today.

I give it 7/10, and not so much for the cinematic quality.
But it makes you think about the roles of men and women in a relationship
and what exactly is important to survive in life.

I also expected a bigger role for Woody Harrelson, but he had a very small role.
Woody was one of the reasons I went to see the movie.

It also has an open ending, I wonder what happened.

I saw 'Triangle of Sadness' today.

I give it 7/10, and not so much for the cinematic quality.
But it makes you think about the roles of men and women in a relationship
and what exactly is important to survive in life.

I also expected a bigger role for Woody Harrelson, but he had a very small role.
Woody was one of the reasons I went to see the movie.

It also has an open ending, I wonder what happened.

I loved it. RIP Yaya.

I initially thought she would kill her as she was a janitorial supervisor and would never go back.
I changed my mind as they were gonna get found eventually since it's a resort.

The Northman

I was expecting some artsy fartsy, incomprehensible gobbly gook(probably because I still haven't been able shake that other Viking movie made by NW Refn from my memory), but got a fairly traditional revenge tale, with a lot of fancy sets and A-list stars. Now, that's not to say that it plays it safe or anything. It's a very well made "Hollywood gritty" movie, that isn't afraid to go outside of the comfort zone.

All in all it's a great epic medieval action movie. Not much to complain about. If you're into stuff like GOT, or "Vikings", you'll be right at home here.

9/10

The Northman

I was expecting some artsy fartsy, incomprehensible gobbly gook(probably because I still haven't been able shake that other Viking movie made by NW Refn from my memory), but got a fairly traditional revenge tale, with a lot of fancy sets and A-list stars. Now, that's not to say that it plays it safe or anything. It's a very well made "Hollywood gritty" movie, that isn't afraid to go outside of the comfort zone.

All in all it's a great epic medieval action movie. Not much to complain about. If you're into stuff like GOT, or "Vikings", you'll be right at home here.

9/10

I was surprised at the polarization this received from the general audience. I have it as my 2nd favorite film of 2022. Thought it was great.

Skinamarink (2023)

Ultra low budget (purported $15,000 production budget) Canadian experimental horror film.

Overall review: What the actual fuck is this

The entire film is deliberately fuzzy and the camera work is oblique. As far as I can tell, 2 young kids wake up in the middle of the night to find that their parents are missing and things in their house (doors, windows, toilet) mysteriously appear and disappear. They are afraid and go downstairs where they watch old cartoons. Sometimes a mysterious voice tells them to engage in self harm. Things get worse over time.

I think that the concept is that the boy (and therefore the audience) is trapped in a nightmare.

This film did not work for me. At all. I never got into it and I came close to walking out.

I am glad that this movie got made and that it has done well enough to get a release beyond arthouse theatres. There are going to be some people who get on the same wavelength and find this film to be a terrifying masterpiece. I was not one of those people. Hope some of you love it.

upload_2023-1-27_10-45-41.jpeg

Trying to watch uncensored Heat (Pacino, Deniro) for the first time on HULU, but it's almost 3 hrs long. Seems like Deniro is always the ace in his movies.

Trying to watch uncensored Heat (Pacino, Deniro) for the first time on HULU, but it's almost 3 hrs long. Seems like Deniro is always the ace in his movies.

This is a Director’s Cut?

Welcome to Sudden Death- 2/10

Movie is so bad that i almost want to put it in the so bad it's good category. But it is too bad for that. The acting, the script, the fight scenes.....everything is really terrible. It is like someone gave a high school nerd 50k and told him to go make an action movie

You people - 2023
-
It could have been a pretty good romantic comedy. It's basically meet the parents and meet the fockers meets current cultural race relations. Just swap deniro and the hard to impress WASP family with Murphy and the hard to impress black family. I guess it has elements of Guess whose coming to dinner and guess who as well with the race stuff but I havent seen either so I dont know.

It has some funny moments, I'm not gonna lie. But it lacks focus. The decent chemistry between the two leads (Hill and London) and the potential for Murphy to let loose is generally brushed over to get to cheesey comedic beats. There is a lot of time given to Dreyfus as the clout chasing woke white mother. And she gets really really annoying as the film goes on.

I think it comes down to the editing. Scenes with potential are treated as filler moments, and filler comedic moments are played way out. It's also way too long. Theres a point where it should end and the film randomly introduces new drama and spends an extra 20 to 30 minutes dragging on.

Overall it has some moments but it feels really unbalanced and messy in the pacing and focus.

5/10 being very generous. I think I'd have given it a higher score like a 6 if it was shorter. But I think even the people who dont get bothered by its issues and enjoy it will still get bored by like the 80 minute mark.

Last edited:
Banshees of insherin 3/10

not my cup of tea. Really no fucking clue how movies like this get Oscar love. I give it a few point’s because the scenery was nice and I kept watching to see what happened because surely there had to be some kind of twist

(spoiler alert: there isn’t)

This is a Director’s Cut?
Not aware of any Director's Cut and the HULU version didn't mention any special version, I think. I did see in wiki this was based on real life criminal and cop from '60s maybe.

Not aware of any Director's Cut and the HULU version didn't mention any special version, I think. I did see in wiki this was based on real life criminal and cop from '60s maybe.

I think you caught his attention by calling it “uncensored” Heat as opposed to just calling it Heat. Did you mean to say this was your first time seeing it not edited for network TV like AMC or TBS or something?

Banshees of insherin 3/10

not my cup of tea. Really no fucking clue how movies like this get Oscar love. I give it a few point’s because the scenery was nice and I kept watching to see what happened because surely there had to be some kind of twist

(spoiler alert: there isn’t)

Yeah, I checked that out last night. It was fine, but it fell a bit flat. I'm sure there's a commentary on something in there that might wet the beaks of critics, but the movie itself is just rather dull. Disappointing, because I love "In Bruges", and was expecting this to be in the same vein of dark comedy, but it never really gets off the ground. Some good moments here and there, and good performances all around, but it gets a big ole shoulder shrug from me.

Back