Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

I think you caught his attention by calling it “uncensored” Heat as opposed to just calling it Heat. Did you mean to say this was your first time seeing it not edited for network TV like AMC or TBS or something?

yep. ^^

I had never heard of Director’s Cut but now I understand his reference. All good. Love the movie

Megan - 7/10.

turned my mind off and accepted it for what it was. Which was PG version of Ex Machina (more comedic moments as opposed to the 100% of the time seriousness of EM).

Yeah, I checked that out last night. It was fine, but it fell a bit flat. I'm sure there's a commentary on something in there that might wet the beaks of critics, but the movie itself is just rather dull. Disappointing, because I love "In Bruges", and was expecting this to be in the same vein of dark comedy, but it never really gets off the ground. Some good moments here and there, and good performances all around, but it gets a big ole shoulder shrug from me.

I really enjoyed it but everything you said adds up. I put it with the first season of white lotus, I really enjoyed but but I'm nit sure why. Farrel and Gleeson are fantastic and the scenery is beautiful but there was something about it that I dug

I really enjoyed it but everything you said adds up. I put it with the first season of white lotus, I really enjoyed but but I'm nit sure why. Farrel and Gleeson are fantastic and the scenery is beautiful but there was something about it that I dug

Banshees is super dry. Especially compared to In Bruges which is pretty dry already. So it get why people don't like the movie. It's supposed to feel dull I think. But the performances carry it and the plot is interesting enough that I wanted to keep watching it to find out why he unfriended Farrell.

In Bruges is definitely better I'd say and at least a lot funnier.

Zardoz

I don’t know why I watched this last night. I guess I hate myself or something, because my wife was away for the weekend so after the kids were asleep I could have done whatever I wanted: play video games, watch any shows or movies of my choosing, whatever. And yet I chose to watch Zardoz. What the fuck am I doing with my life??

The thing is I’ve seen it twice before, first in 1997 and then again in about 2007, so I knew exactly what I was getting into. This is not a movie that needs to be watched even once, let alone three times. It’s bad, and yet not as fun as a lot of other “so bad it’s good” type films. Life’s too short for any person to watch Zardoz three times.

4/10

P.S. still enjoyed it more than Friday After Next

Banshees is super dry. Especially compared to In Bruges which is pretty dry already. So it get why people don't like the movie. It's supposed to feel dull I think. But the performances carry it and the plot is interesting enough that I wanted to keep watching it to find out why he unfriended Farrell.

In Bruges is definitely better I'd say and at least a lot funnier.
I will fight anyone to the death that dislikes Bruges or Banshees. They're likely both in my top 10 (quote me on this in 10 years but likely the same)
Maybe it's just my sense of humour.
Flippin brilliant movies. I still have something in my eye with the dog with the shears and the story of the bread van, as much as I do the elephant story and Colin's hurt pride with the midget.

Flipping GLORIOUS movies.The bread van, I haven't cried that hard laughing in years.

Banshees of insherin 3/10

not my cup of tea. Really no fucking clue how movies like this get Oscar love. I give it a few point’s because the scenery was nice and I kept watching to see what happened because surely there had to be some kind of twist

(spoiler alert: there isn’t)
Don't have a dry sense of homour, I guess.

I was in fits within the first few minutes, it's hilarious.

Because Farrell, watched Voyagers. It was so so, I'll rewatch The Lobster on Friday.

No one seen Don't Worry Darling?

With all the hullabaloo with Harry Styles and Olivia Wlde...me being a forever Ted Lasso girl I wanted to hate it. It was ra really good flick. Florence Pugh is not only gorgeous, a really good actress and the film was quite compelling.

If Olivia makes another movie I'll watch it, I just won't mention it to my hearthrob Ted.

Banshees was great, it's definitely an American thing for those who didn't like it, half the time all of Europe is sarcastic.

Banshees was great, it's definitely an American thing for those who didn't like it, half the time all of Europe is sarcastic.
Until this thread I didn't know anyone who disliked it. Weird, I guess you can't please everyone.

I'm American and Im a big Martin Mcdonough fan. I'm also a fan of the dry Stuff Farrell did with Lanthimos: Sacred Deer and Lobster. Btw Koeghan is fantastic in Sacred Deer

I will say Banshees seems less appealing to Americans just from convos I've had about it. But I dont think it's a sarcasm thing per se. The idea that Americans don't get sarcasm is pretty ridiculous. And I also dont think its only Americans who might not take to it.

Personally as I've said on the board before I think Banshees is my 3rd or 4th favorite film of the year. But its simply just one of those movies that's isn't going to appeal to everyone.

Last edited:
Knives Out - Glass Onion.

Loved it , several laugh out loud moments , great cast.

8.5/10

No one seen Don't Worry Darling?

With all the hullabaloo with Harry Styles and Olivia Wlde...me being a forever Ted Lasso girl I wanted to hate it. It was ra really good flick. Florence Pugh is not only gorgeous, a really good actress and the film was quite compelling.

If Olivia makes another movie I'll watch it, I just won't mention it to my hearthrob Ted.

I watched Don't Worry Darling... & I would give it a 5/10

The set up is fascinating. The first two acts are beautifully shot and create a slowly rising sense of dread. I really dug the retro Palm Springs vibe. Then it all falls apart in the 3rd act. Utter nonsense.

Pugh is a flat out great actress. Styles is not terrible but pairing him with Pugh only serves to accentuate his limitations. A real actor could have done so much more with Harry's role.

But nothing was going to save that 3rd act, outside of a completely different script.

Glad you liked it though.

Last edited:
The_Vanished_(2020_film).jpg Just saw The Vanished and Momentum (the latter for the umpteenth time!:)). As for the former, I loved the thriller scenes and the twisted ending was superb: 10/10 for me.
Momentum is a classic with MF playing a rather reductive role (not in the crude sense): 9/10.

Infinity Pool

Written and directed by Brandon Cronenberg. It is his 3rd feature film (following the somewhat interesting "Antiviral" and the absolutely scintillating "Possessor).

James Foster (Skarsgard) is a failed novelist enjoying a beachside vacation in a 3rd world country courtesy of his wealthy wife, Em. Foster is approached by Gabi (Mia Goth) who is a huge fan of his novel. Foster and Em end up having dinner with Gabi and her architect husband. Against the advice of hotel staff, the 2 couples decide to take a day trip away from the protective cocoon of the resort. Tragedy ensues but Foster quickly learns that rich tourists are effectively above the law in this poor country as long as they are willing to pay for the privilege.

The mild mannered Foster is transformed by the experience & is pulled into a life of hedonism and depravity by Gabi and a group of fellow rich tourists who return to the resort every year to wreck havoc knowing that there are no real penalties for their actions.

The film is self consciously divisive and heavy on social satire (rich tourists exploiting everyone around them in the 3rd world before returning to their regular lives with no repercussions).

Mia Goth has the plum role as the enigmatic & psychotic Gabi, who acts as fangirl, spirit guide, temptress, abuser, and tormentor to the hapless James.

Rating: 7/10

This is going to be a love it or hate it film for a lot of people (likely Cronenberg's goal). It is often indulgent and unfocused. It is often just weird as fuck. Overall, it was a wild ride and I mostly enjoyed the trip. For me it was a clear step down from the criminally underrated "Possessor" but still interesting on its own merits.

upload_2023-1-31_9-40-12.jpeg

upload_2023-1-31_9-40-28.jpeg

Last edited:
Back