Rashad will destroy Nogueira

agree, Rashad is such an underrated fighter imo, only two loses coming from arguably the two best LHWs of the last decade.
No fan of him though, there's just something abut him that seems to rub me the wrong way.
Would be interesting to see if he could make the cut down to MW. I see him giving Anderson a tougher fight than most MW contenders, he's got good wrestling, decent reach, good jab and movement. Plus Anderson won't have the size advantages he has in most of his fights.

Rashad is under-rated because he hasn't been fighting very often. If he fights more, he'll garner more attention.

Question becomes, if/when Rashad beats Noguiera, who should he be matched up with? He likely beats most fighters at LHW not named Jones or Machida, but you don't want him derailing the hype of someone like Gustafsson or Texiera - I'm not saying that they shouldn't be tested, just that Zuffa already has a hard enough time finding new contenders at LHW, that they have to ask middleweights to come up.

They'll probably give him someone like Shogun or Bader, so that he can continue putting together a streak, back towards a title shot, either at LHW, or at MW.

As much as I am praying for a "Minotoro" victory I just don't see it happening.
Rashad is way too fast, too strong and too good at this point. Nogueira is an amazing fighter but...

He has lost to Ryan Bader, Phill Davis and Arguably Jason Brilz (alot of people think Brilz deserved the nod) and beat a washed up Tito Ortiz who folded like a lawn chair after taking some shots to the body and head (though it was a great combo by nog)

Rashad is on the same level as far as MMA wrestling goes as Davis and Bader are arguably (not talking pure collegiate wrestling and some may think Phil is a better MMA wrestler but it is arguable). He is more explosive than Bader and Davis, has way better striking, power and is way faster. His take downs are setup by punches and kicks and unpredictability. I am the biggest Nog brother fan out there. My heroes!....but he has trouble with good strong MMA wrestlers. I just cant see little Nog winning unless he can avoid the take down and score a KO. People think Rashad is "chinny" but he doesn't get hit that often anymore and he has great recovery.

I see Rashad avoiding Nogs boxing, moving in and out like against rampage, catching him with some shots, pushing him against the cage, taking him down and either pounding him out or taking a 50-45 decision (just because Nog has the heart of a lion and is tough to put away)

I think the UFC wanted to give Rashad an easy win at LHW to set up a drop to MW for Rashad and an eventual fight with Silva.

Rashad said after the Jones fight that he was considering a drop to MW, but didn't want to leave LHW on a loss.

Maybe Rashad gets this win then drops down to MW and faces Weidman in a #1 contender fight.

I have a feeling that DW knows Weidman is a strong threat to Silva, but doesn't want to give him a title shot since he doesn't have a big name value. If the UFC sets up Rashad/Weidman as a #1 contender fight, that's a win/win for the UFC. If Rashad wins they get a super fight (so to speak) with Siva v Rashad. If Weidman wins, he gets a win over a BIG NAME fighter and legitimizes him as a guy who could challenge Silva for the belt.

Furthermore, I think GSP/Silva is gonna happen after GSP faces Diaz, giving the UFC time to put together Rashad/Weidman in the mean time.

This all just came to mind right now. I've been imagining Weidman would be facing Rockhold next up until I thought about this.

I like the Rashad/Weidman idea better. Then we could have Rockhold face the Bisping/Belfort winner.

Damn, I should be the UFC match maker. :D

How is it arguable that Phil Davis is a better mma wrestler? Rashad dominated Phil in that aspect.

I like lil nugget but he has had trouble with wrestlers and I see Rashad taking this one quite easily. I think lil nugget's best chance is if he can rock Rashad with a punch and maybe lock in a submission.

Agreed. Bet your house on Rashad vs. Nogera. I feel like they are giving him this fight.

Nogera looked like garbage his last 4 fights. He has moments of brilliance, but has 0 take down defense.

I agree, im still stoked that they gave Rashad such a step down in competition. lil nog is not really what he use to be.

How is it arguable that Phil Davis is a better mma wrestler? Rashad dominated Phil in that aspect.

I said at least twice in this thread already

People may say Phil has better takedowns and offensive wrestling and just had a bad takedown defense.

people will debate it. Im not. I WAS JUST SAYING

He won't destroy. It will be a lackluster fight but Rashad will win. Nog could catch him with something though.

Rashad will finish little Nog, bet on it.

I agree. Rashad has the ability to beat him wherever they fight. Not the best matchmaking imo

I don't get why people are underestimating Lil Nog so much

Nogs got a better chance of beating rashad than Chael has of beating bones.

I agree completely TS. Lil Nog has looked terrible against wrestlers since he has been in the UFC. Rashad takes him down at will en route to a lopsided decision

I think the UFC wanted to give Rashad an easy win at LHW to set up a drop to MW for Rashad and an eventual fight with Silva.

Rashad said after the Jones fight that he was considering a drop to MW, but didn't want to leave LHW on a loss.

Maybe Rashad gets this win then drops down to MW and faces Weidman in a #1 contender fight.

I have a feeling that DW knows Weidman is a strong threat to Silva, but doesn't want to give him a title shot since he doesn't have a big name value. If the UFC sets up Rashad/Weidman as a #1 contender fight, that's a win/win for the UFC. If Rashad wins they get a super fight (so to speak) with Siva v Rashad. If Weidman wins, he gets a win over a BIG NAME fighter and legitimizes him as a guy who could challenge Silva for the belt.

Furthermore, I think GSP/Silva is gonna happen after GSP faces Diaz, giving the UFC time to put together Rashad/Weidman in the mean time.

This all just came to mind right now. I've been imagining Weidman would be facing Rockhold next up until I thought about this.

I like the Rashad/Weidman idea better. Then we could have Rockhold face the Bisping/Belfort winner.

Damn, I should be the UFC match maker. :D

I agree with you on the UFC's motivation for making this fight. Rashad wants to leave LHW with momentum, so they gave him an easy fight. Obviously, Lil Nog is a great fighter, but doesn't do well against wrestlers, and Rashad is an excellent wrestler.

I disagree with you on making Rashad/Weidman for #1 contender though. I would give Weidman another fight upon coming back from surgery, and give Rashad the immediate shot. Silva vs. Rashad is one of the biggest money fights the UFC can make, and you don't want to risk either of them losing or getting injured before it can happen. Plus, I don't want Silva facing Weidman coming off an injury. I want Weidman to be healthy and, if possible, attain his BJJ BB before they fight. I want every excuse off the table when Silva blasts him into oblivion.

I don't get why people are underestimating Lil Nog so much

I know you've seen all his UFC fights. So the question is, why aren't you underestimating him? His boxing has deteriorated, his cardio is poor, his TDD never really did exist, and his bottom game in regards to BJJ has been basically nonexistent in recent years

Back