Randy was beating Tito, Vitor and Chuck at the age of 40

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
To what extent do you think we can compare his form with Silva today ? I know technic has evolved, and back then MMA was still emerging. So what are the chances of Anderson at 40 in 2016 ?

I personnally don't think he matches physically with monsters like Rockhold or Weidman. However, if he's not a shell of his former self, i give him a chance against the rest of the roster despite his age.

Assuming he's in his early 40's,I think he could do well at HW,a lot of them are from his time and haven't evolved as much.
Don't know about LHW,I think he could beat a few top 10 guys but not the top guys.

Well Randy was on trt I believe during the time, so I'm not sure.

Randy was on some form of testosterone and had far less MMA experience, and while his body may have been beaten up from years or wrestling, at least he wasn't taking punches for all those years. Stylistically Randy also doesn't rely heavily on speed, reflexes and being able to counter whereas those are big aspescts of Anderson's game

Last edited:
Aside from the TRT, Randy started late. Didn't have the wear and tear like Silva does from training MMA for almost two decades.

Randy was on TRT and had far less MMA experience, and while his body may have been beaten up from years or wrestling, at least he wasn't taking punches for all those years. Stylistically Randy also doesn't rely heavily on speed, reflexes and being able to counter whereas those are big aspescts of Anderson's game
This all the way. I hate to use it but like Conor said Timing beats speed and precision beats power. And when it comes to Andy, this has pretty much always been the case.

I'm sure Anderson could beat Tito, Vitor, and Chuck right now too.

Greco Roman wrestling tires the body no ? Plus anderson did not take that much damage before his KO and leg break. I admit his speed and reflexes have significantly declined

Randy was on trt back in the early 2000's? Any sources for this? I never even heard of TRT til abt 2009-2010

It will depends on how he looks against Bisping.

Against Diaz his chin looked good since he eat lots of shots in that fight, his offense was also good but Diaz is durable. But he got caught so who knows how Anderson really is now after the Weidman fight.

To what extent do you think we can compare his form with Silva today ? I know technic has evolved, and back then MMA was still emerging. So what are the chances of Anderson at 40 in 2016 ?

I personnally don't think he matches physically with monsters like Rockhold or Weidman. However, if he's not a shell of his former self, i give him a chance against the rest of the roster despite his age.

Randy also started fighting at 34. He's an outlier and should never be used as a guide. I think Silva can beat Bisping, but he won't make another successful run at the title.

Well he did have a huge decline already with back to back loses and a decently close fight with an undersized fighter while on steroids. I think if the Bisping fight is even competitive then Silva isn't up there in regaurds to longevity. Keeping in mind Anderson was most likely on TRT his entire career.

Randy was on TRT and had far less MMA experience, and while his body may have been beaten up from years or wrestling, at least he wasn't taking punches for all those years. Stylistically Randy also doesn't rely heavily on speed, reflexes and being able to counter whereas those are big aspescts of Anderson's game

Where are you getting "Randy was on TRT?" If he ever used a PED it wasn't testosterone as part of hormone replacement therapy. He always claimed he wasn't using PED's, so he certainly wasn't getting an exemption from any AC. TRT isn't a substance, testosterone is the substance, and there are other forms of PED's that were the more likely choice if he was using something back in the day. Again though, he never tested positive.

His wrestling style also helped. He didn't have to rely on being the fastest, strongest, or have the best reflexes.

Back