Randy beating Chuck in the 1st fight still might be the craziest thing I have seen in MMA

It´s actually more complex than you think...

If you dont understand the Weight Difference 'criterion', this debate will fly over your head.

It iz what it iz.
lol @ you believing weight difference criterion had anything to do with it. You might wanna read up on the fixes of earlier PRIDE. No draw, Mezger won, they did that to keep the fight going for Saku to win. Pretty clear......

lol @ you believing weight difference criterion had anything to do with it. You might wanna read up on the fixes of earlier PRIDE. No draw, Mezger won, they did that to keep the fight going for Saku to win. Pretty clear......
Helax mate, it´s because you´re completely clueless.

Educate yourself, tho...:

> Pride´s [early] controversial fights:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-25-the-wild-wild-east.3886295/

> SAKU vs Mezger fight:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...de-ow-gp-mezger-those-infamous-6-lbs.3899881/

> Weight Difference 'criterion' :

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...-wolf-´round-the-ring-fedor-vs-arona.4153702/

So your proof i'm a wrong......is a thread you started.......LMFAO!

Bro Mezger won the round, they declared draw to keep it going to favor Saku to get the money fight of Saku vs Royce. End of discussion cause thats what happened lol

Isnt it established fact that Pride was rigged by the Yakuza?

That's a great point. His first fight with Rampage at Final Conflict was bananas. Everyone remembers the 2nd fight because of the KO, but the first fight was a much scarier, prolonged beating. The image of the faces Chuck was making when Rampage was beating the shit out of his body on the ground are forever burned into my brain. Chuck was known for being so good at standing back up after being taken down and Rampage just held him there. Not sure if there was an injury that kept Chuck down, just makes you think about how strong prime Rampage was, even after him powerbombing a grown ass man.

Rampage beating the fuck out of chuck with Dana sitting there watching in pride was amazing lol.

Dana was hating that shit

So your proof i'm a wrong......is a thread you started.......LMFAO!

Bro Mezger won the round, they declared draw to keep it going to favor Saku to get the money fight of Saku vs Royce. End of discussion cause thats what happened lol
ah... 3 posts, 3 'lol'... pretty basic...

If you dont wanna educate yourself, it´s your problem, mate...

ah... 3 posts, 3 'lol'... pretty basic...

If you dont wanna educate yourself, it´s your problem, mate...
All 3 created by you. You literally linked threads, made by you, as if it backs anything up. Notice on the entire first page of Saku vs Mezger thread not ONE person says the decision was accurate.

So again. Let me educate you for your next giant thread. PRIDE rigged things in their early days not disputable, Mezger was a late addition and thus agreed to only one round, Mezger clearly won the round despite "weight criterion", surprise all 3 judges call draw to force another round to favor Saku.

Linking me more threads you made will not change that sequence of facts

All 3 created by you. You literally linked threads, made by you, as if it backs anything up. Notice on the entire first page of Saku vs Mezger thread not ONE person says the decision was accurate.

So again. Let me educate you for your next giant thread. PRIDE rigged things in their early days not disputable, Mezger was a late addition and thus agreed to only one round, Mezger clearly won the round despite "weight criterion", surprise all 3 judges call draw to force another round to favor Saku.

Linking me more threads you made will not change that sequence of facts
ah, you forgot dat holy 'lol' this time...

> Read the thread again, some of the most hespekted posters ´round here acknowledged that it was a realistic outcome.

> Understandin´ Pride/JMMA & the [historical] necessity, sometimes, of usin´ works as a drivin´force, is somethin´ that requires historical perspective.

> Since you´re talkin´about that 'agreement', let´s check your knowledge, 2 questions:

1- What was Pride´s plan beyond that match-up (forget about Hoyce vs SAKU, talkin´about somethin´else...) ?

2- What was the real deal between Pride & Mezger [& his management]? What was written in the contract?

Can you answer these 2 questions?... must be easy since you´re full of 'facts'...

Last edited:
ah, you forgot dat holy 'lol' this time...

> Read the thread again, some of the most hespekted posters ´round here acknowledged that it was a realistic outcome.

> Understandin´ Pride/JMMA & the [historical] necessity, sometimes, to use works as a drivin´force, is somethin´ that requires historical perspective.

> Since you´re talkin´about that 'agreement', let´s check your knowledge, 2 questions:

1- What was Pride´s plan beyond that match-up (forget about Hoyce vs SAKU, talkin´about somethin´else...) ?

2- What was the real deal between Pride & Mezger [& his management]? What was written in the contract?

Can you answer these 2 questions?... must be easy since you´re full of 'facts'...
They literally publicaly apologized to Mezger later in the show, but sure bud, put some words in bold to try to make a point lmaooo

They literally publicaly apologized to Mezger later in the show, but sure bud, put some words in bold to try to make a point lmaooo
ahhh... how sad... You shamelessly ducked these 2 very simple questions... Not a good showin´ITT, mate...

Still, at least we got your 4th 'lol' in 5 posts...

To set the scene for the young ins.....Chuck at this point was coming off a quick destruction of Babalu, a beatdown of Vitor Belfort, and easy wins over Guy Mezger and Kevin Randleman ( and a tough fight vs Bustamante admittedly). Destined to face Tito for the belt, and in fact after the Randy loss would beat Overeem in 1 round in PRIDE.

Randy on the other hand, had the great run at HW but had lost to Barnett and than Ricco Rodriguez in that weird fight where his orbital got broken, and was already close to 40. He was dropping down to light heavyweight and it seemed the UFC just wanted a recognizable guy for Chuck to beat before the Tito fight.

Randy then proceeds to beat the living shit out of Chuck, both on the feet and on the ground. I am talking scary stuff as he was literally slamming Chuck over and over, and landing vicious shots from the top before they finally stopped it. Pure madness.

Timestamped at the final sequence

A RANDY FIGHT THREAD!!...

FUCK YEAH COUNT ME IN..

Randy had a crazy nack and ability to execute effective game plans..and he could make adjustments mid fight...that is a marquee skill to have to be a champion...its why he could do the things he could in his career...

This win and his wins over tim Sylvia and Gongzaga are still the fights that got me off my feet yelling...he was tooling up Brock too...brock had to cheat to stay on his feet so he didnt get slammed by a guy he outweighed by 60 pounds...

All of the chuck vs randy fights are legend...you must watch them to understand the sport IMO

I was about to chime in with the Gonzaga performance. Seems a lot of Randy fights are where he's either a big hammer or a big nail.
The Gonzaga fight is also my most emotional Randy Couture fight... seems like he doesn't get much respect for this win nowadays because GG turned out to be kind of a bust, but he was a huge name at the time, fresh of an incredible win over the number 2 HW on the planet, and CC had been the clear n°2 for a long time by that point, it wasn't just a quick ranking for beating a big name at the right time.

(like, let's say Bisping with his weird consecutive controversial wins over Anderson, Rockhold & Hendo, before GSP took him out in brutal fashion)

Gonzaga was on fire, and for the majority of fans, he was the new generation personified. "A huge BJJ monster, ADCC winner, light on his feet like a MW, made K1 & PRIDE tournament champion Mirko Crocop look like an amateur striker, GG would demolish Fedor, believe it!!"

Lots of people were like "Ok, the Sylvia win was awesome, good for Randy, GG old man that was super cool, but Gonzaga is the new breed of HW, not a slow lumbering tall dude who only won the title because he has reach and a good jab"

You'd find GG in half of Sherdog's signatures next to "favorite HWs", bunch of guys created their first account with a reference to GG, he was in every avatar for a while, make no mistake, Gonzaga was THE shit and there was just no path to victory for ol' Randy.
What was he gonna do? Submit him? lolnope, Gonzaga is an ADCC champion; KO him, when even Crocop couldn't do it? Outwrestle him? Gonzaga is way too strong and athletic, and he
won't give up.

Mezger almost beat a lot of ppls asses. Robbed vs Saku off top of my head. Under rated historical fighter
The Saku robbery is blown out of proportion nowadays, but it was indeed a close one.
And I've always said that Mezger beat Arona in that boring fight...

But Guy was also going toe-to-toe with Wanderlei until he blatantly headbutted him...
most highlights only show the last 3 or 4 punches from Wand, that went unblocked because Mezger had been rocked by the illegal headbutt.
(O think that's how Wand's eyebrow got busted and why it started bleeding, too? Might have to rewatch the whole fight)

Both Guy Mezger and Sakuraba (against Elvis Schembri) got headbutted in PRIDE, which let to a brutal KO both times, and sadly nothing was done to rectify those losses.
Had the same things happened today in a major MMA org, it would be an immediate NC or DQ (depending if it was deemed intentional or not)

But, well, speaking of Couture vs GG, a headbutt also affected the course of the fight, when it broke Gonzaga's nose during a take down against the cage, so who nose, eh?

old Randy fighting against a bigger doped monster and younger like Brock proves what a warrior this man is.

most "warriors" cut weight to get away from bigger fighters.
That was a fantastic win for sure, but Brock was also 1-1 in the UFC, with the win being over a "washed-up Heath Herring", so you can bet that if that fight had happened in Japan it would have been called a freak-show by many...

Great fight, but damn I was so sad when Lesnar dropped Couture out of nowhere,especially since a bunch of us were so sure that it was a, illegal punch behind the head that did the deed...

Couture was doing so well until that punch, too...

So again. Let me educate you for your next giant thread. PRIDE rigged things in their early days not disputable

I'm not disputing that, but just out of curiosity, aside from Takada's wins over Kyle Sturgeon and Mark Coleman, which PRIDE fights were rigged?

We can match these 2 against fixed early UFC bouts such as Don Frye vs Mark Hall (UFC: The Ultimate Ultimate 2), and Oleg Taktarov vs Anthony Macias (UFC 6)
(plus, of course, the fights like Brock Lesnar vs Mark Hunt, in which Lesnar was allowed to juice, same for Jon Jones)

I'm, of course, not saying there weren't any rigged fights there, but I would be interested in knowing which PRIDE fights were fixed.

It was, but Tim was also slow and goofy. I think beating Chuck EVERYWHERE was a bigger accomplishment than beating Tim. The opening overhand was awesome though.
His Run of beating Chuck, Tito and Vitor was amazing for a man in his 40s, 3 clear dominating victories. (I dont count his loss to Vitor)

But Guy was also going toe-to-toe with Wanderlei until he blatantly headbutted him...
most highlights only show the last 3 or 4 punches from Wand, that went unblocked because Mezger had been rocked by the illegal headbutt.
(O think that's how Wand's eyebrow got busted and why it started bleeding, too? Might have to rewatch the whole fight)

Both Guy Mezger and Sakuraba (against Elvis Schembri) got headbutted in PRIDE, which let to a brutal KO both times, and sadly nothing was done to rectify those losses.
Had the same things happened today in a major MMA org, it would be an immediate NC or DQ (depending if it was deemed intentional or not)

This isnt true Guy was on his way out after eating a huge shot and retreating into the corner, he was on his way out headbutt or not. For me the headbutt was the icing on the cake

I'm not disputing that, but just out of curiosity, aside from Takada's wins over Kyle Sturgeon and Mark Coleman, which PRIDE fights were rigged?

Possibly Koji Kitao-Nathan Jones, Kazunari-Dixon in Pride 1. In Pride 6 Goodridge was approached to throw his match against Ogawa, he refused but got subbed, then said he should've taken the money.

Back