Randy beating Chuck in the 1st fight still might be the craziest thing I have seen in MMA

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
To set the scene for the young ins.....Chuck at this point was coming off a quick destruction of Babalu, a beatdown of Vitor Belfort, and easy wins over Guy Mezger and Kevin Randleman ( and a tough fight vs Bustamante admittedly). Destined to face Tito for the belt, and in fact after the Randy loss would beat Overeem in 1 round in PRIDE.

Randy on the other hand, had the great run at HW but had lost to Barnett and than Ricco Rodriguez in that weird fight where his orbital got broken, and was already close to 40. He was dropping down to light heavyweight and it seemed the UFC just wanted a recognizable guy for Chuck to beat before the Tito fight.

Randy then proceeds to beat the living shit out of Chuck, both on the feet and on the ground. I am talking scary stuff as he was literally slamming Chuck over and over, and landing vicious shots from the top before they finally stopped it. Pure madness.

Timestamped at the final sequence

it was a rocky moment, for sure. i doubt anyone was giving randy a serious chance in that fight, not at 40 yrs old. they were basically trying to give chuck another big name to add to his resume.

To set the scene for the young ins.....Chuck at this point was coming off a quick destruction of Babalu, a beatdown of Vitor Belfort, and easy wins over Guy Mezger and Kevin Randleman ( and a tough fight vs Bustamante admittedly). Destined to face Tito for the belt, and in fact after the Randy loss would beat Overeem in 1 round in PRIDE.

Randy on the other hand, had the great run at HW but had lost to Barnett and than Ricco Rodriguez in that weird fight where his orbital got broken, and was already close to 40. He was dropping down to light heavyweight and it seemed the UFC just wanted a recognizable guy for Chuck to beat before the Tito fight.

Randy then proceeds to beat the living shit out of Chuck, both on the feet and on the ground. I am talking scary stuff as he was literally slamming Chuck over and over, and landing vicious shots from the top before they finally stopped it. Pure madness.

Randy was a beast.

it was nicer to see Chuck destroyed after his arrogant entrance, sometimes people forget how Randy Prime is a monster.

the first guy who used the cage to his advantage.

I think Randy is easily top 5 205er of all time. As fighters get older, their losses don’t take away from their peak performances and unthinking and hold Randy to too high of a standard since he accomplished so much at an advanced age.

Randy remains very underrated IMO, mostly because Dana does not like him and so the UFC never says anything nice about him (after years of heavily promoting him, of course)

Randy moving down to beat Chuck and then Tito, both in dominant fashion, was one of the biggest accomplishments of that era in the UFC. Going in, I think very few people would have favored Randy to win either of those fights, never mind both

a sliding doors moment was in the 3rd Randy - Chuck fight (might have been the second fight, it has been 15 years) when Chuck did a blatant, non-penalized fence grab to stop a clear take down. at the time, I just viewed it as one of those things that happens in fights. but sometimes I wonder if it would have given Randy the chance to really tire Chuck out and change the course of the fight (if my memory is bad on the above, feel free to correct me)

anyway - thanks to TS for the great flashback

Back