Random Training Thoughts

Damn, I wish I was around more when Carnal was posting...

If anyone takes anything from this thread, it is this statement right here:

Carnal said:
lifting is an individual pursuit and a herd mentality does nothing to improve your chances of making great gains.

Agree completely. It's funny I read this post now and Carnal mentioned just about every single thing I did and always got shit from people. I do what works for me. I could give a fuck about what some program dictates...whether it's resting 30 minutes between sets or taking 2-3 hours to do my workout....or training to failure quite often...

Training to failure was a staple of mine for 2-3 years when it came to deadlift as well as some other lifts for shorter duration. Did it once every 2-3 weeks. For some weird reason it kept going up. Eventually doubling. Training to failure is said to be training to fail only to the extent that people dont realize there are exceptions to every rule. Overtraining is not the boogeyman...training to failure wont leave some deep emotional and psychological scars that will be hard to overcome as some contend. one Key to training to failure is REST.....you can overtrain like a complete MFer or train at 99-102% of 1rm if you plan to do something once every 2-3 weeks(for me CNS will take that long to recover in lifts like squat/dead/etc).......I personally have failed in so many things that I lost count. Key is to try. Then try again. I failed at most weights I later went on to lift....I am not afraid to look foolish doing things most people avoid. This is why some people at the gym contend I use juice and look gayly at me when I effeminate them and their lifting numbers....

Doing 1/9 squats? sure if you're doing 125-200% of 1rm. and you realize it's a 1/9 squat....

I completely agree with psyching up techniques....for me nothing works better for deadlift PRs then quite reflection time when I relax and use visualization to see what I will do during the lift.

Too bad carnal doesnt post no more.....guess he's living it up....heh

DEVILsSON said:
Doing 1/9 squats? sure if you're doing 125-200% of 1rm. and you realize it's a 1/9 squat....

That's just my signature. It's basically the model for our student recreation center. Guys start doing their 1/5 squats, and as they move up in weight, the ROM keeps getting smaller, and smaller, and smaller until eventually they perform the much acclaimed 1/9 squat, in which they only make about a 10 degree movement downward.

From time to time I used walk outs or slight bend in the knee and dip...1/9? 1/15th? dont know....just to kick the shit out of my core....and my CNS...boy did my 1rm feel like a piece of shit after walking out with 140% on the bar...couple times I went ATG on weight I was hoping to just hit parallel with....

Problem with many/most lifters at my uni gym is that they think they are doing 'full' squat....thats what irritates me...especially when they shake the bar and have plates clang as they go up and down ...basically 'look how hardcore I am bullshit'....or grunt and roar on like pussy 1/4 squats....couple times I almost broke out laughing as 2 douchbags which are supposedly athletes for the school....were doing squats in front of my incline bench ....with like ever decreasing depth....

DEVILsSON said:
Problem with many/most lifters at my uni gym is that they think they are doing 'full' squat....thats what irritates me...especially when they shake the bar and have plates clang as they go up and down ...basically 'look how hardcore I am bullshit'....or grunt and roar on like pussy 1/4 squats....

That's what I'm referring to in my signature. The guys that make faces and yell with lots of weight on the bar and think they're doin full squats, but in reality its about a 1/4 ROM.

Not sure if I hate more those 1/10 squatters making all the noise or the 100lb 5'8 guy in the corner doing 15s for curls while admiring his skinny arms in 2 mirrors+overlap where the mirrored walls come together...almost felt like going sideways with my barbell on dynamic rows as he was next to the dead/row station.....man really had to repress that urge.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back