Random Training Thoughts

CarnalSalvation said:
Oh and just a note, I'd ague the opposite Plum. People who are dependant on music for a psych lack mental fortitude. I can get more psyched amped on ephy and jamming to some metal than I can ragged ass tired and watching Lifetime, but ideally external factors like those matter less and less. It used to be I'd want a particular song to max out too, now I don't even care if there is music at all.

Tom Skiver said he spent a few months lifting to Journey, so that when he went to nationals he knew they wouldn't possible play anything he disliked more.

Interesting.

I will admit that I am psychologically addicted to music when I workout. I listen to music no matter what I do though, always, I am a music addict in general.

i agree with what carnal is saying. i found that after relying on music as an external stimulus to psyched up, i began to rely on it waaaaay too much. cant lift without it, need a certain song, need a certain part of a song, etc. i went without it for a couple months and began to adapt to silence again.

other stimuli that help me to get psyched:
people watching me. when i would go for a max DL, people at the gym would always watch me, anywhere from 5-10 people. most likely because they thought that the DL was so weird. anyway, it got me psyched because of peoples expectations, either that "no way he can lift that" or that they expect me to. the basic idea is that i work a lot better under pressure.

rEmY said:
i agree with what carnal is saying. i found that after relying on music as an external stimulus to psyched up, i began to rely on it waaaaay too much. cant lift without it, need a certain song, need a certain part of a song, etc. i went without it for a couple months and began to adapt to silence again.

other stimuli that help me to get psyched:
people watching me. when i would go for a max DL, people at the gym would always watch me, anywhere from 5-10 people. most likely because they thought that the DL was so weird. anyway, it got me psyched because of peoples expectations, either that "no way he can lift that" or that they expect me to. the basic idea is that i work a lot better under pressure.
My gym would be like what the hell is he doing?

Most of them probably dont even know what a deadlift is. And I have only seen like two people perform squats at my gym.

Ted-P said:

Most of them probably dont even know what a deadlift is. And I have only seen like two people perform squats at my gym.

try farmer's walk or using bands in the gym for some strange looks.

Ted-P said:

i know the feeling. in my time there there were only two people who ever squatted (me and some other guy*) and only one who ever deadlifted (me).

*strange. i lifted at a Y filled with young H.S. metros and the like. one day, this guy comes in. real powerlifting belt, chucks, etc...he works up to doing like a 500 pound squat. with good form, etc. creepy. never saw him again, so i assume he was just passing through town.

my other special PR trick: get really fucking hammered the night before (preferrably the night before a day off). the next day, nurse your hangover with microwave burritos, chocolate milk, and ibuprofren. go lift at night. for some weird reason i always do fucking great the day after.

Fedorable said:
try farmer's walk or using bands in the gym for some strange looks.
I was always curious about the band.

You say there are movements in lifts which have no resistance. For example?

Ted-P said:
I was always curious about the band.

You say there are movements in lifts which have no resistance. For example?

I better look at what i said, i might have said something improperly.

I meant that there are moments in a lift when there is less resistance than other moments in a lift, be it only for micro-seconds. The bands assure there is always strong tension. Today was my first day using the bands, I am far from an expert. I can look for an article that explains it way better than I can if you would like.

No, what you can do is shut the fuck up and get the hell out of my thread.

sonny, the resistance will increase as the lift progresses no matter what when you use bands. If they are hanging fromt he top of the rack, they are assisting the most at the bottom of the squat and least at the top. hence the there is more resistance at the top. if they are attatched to the floor, the increased stretch causes more resistance at the top of the lift. No matter what you do with bands, the top is more difficult than the bottom by either their tension or the weights themselves.

PariahCarey said:
When i'm at the gym and i hear song i don't like it makes me angry and i try and channel that into my lift.

I do the same thing if I can't block it out first.

rEmY said:
my other special PR trick: get really fucking hammered the night before (preferrably the night before a day off). the next day, nurse your hangover with microwave burritos, chocolate milk, and ibuprofren. go lift at night. for some weird reason i always do fucking great the day after.

I wish I had your genetics. My day after workouts are always shitty. I feel like a festering pile of sludge...

Urban said:
sonny, the resistance will increase as the lift progresses no matter what when you use bands. If they are hanging fromt he top of the rack, they are assisting the most at the bottom of the squat and least at the top. hence the there is more resistance at the top. if they are attatched to the floor, the increased stretch causes more resistance at the top of the lift. No matter what you do with bands, the top is more difficult than the bottom by either their tension or the weights themselves.

Yeah, sorry, I fucked up in a major way when I posted that cuz of all the beers I drank at some shitty BBQ. I re-typed it 5 or 6 times because there were so many spelling errors. I'm gonna delete it cuz it's shit!

CarnalSalvation said:
No, what you can do is shut the fuck up and get the hell out of my thread.

who are you talking to?

Listen mschatz...your thread is solid but if you want respect around here you need to;

1)Add people to the info like, Alice, a 53 year-old male bodybuilder who does 30 sets of curls

2)Give us quotes like "I don't know about you but my life sucks."

3)Give us some personal style about your work-outs like 1 hour rest between sets and how not to worry about paying for child support or it'll affect your lifting.

I bump this thread with nothing but respect and its got great info but holy shit does it make me laugh...you can't make Carnal up!

Lol... I remember this thread. It's a good read, and he has a lot of good points. I love getting the adrenaline pumping with some godsmack or rammstein before my deadlifts. I feel like I could deadlift a fuckin house with some insane music playing.

Oh and also... TLDR...

Back