Rampage " ...Jon Jones is the type of of guy you have to fight twice."

I think it might be more true for Cormier than Gus that 'you have to fight him twice' to figure him out.

Cormier had gotten used to ragdolling people at HW, he thought it would be easy to do it to a LHW, but you could see he was a little stunned early on when he wasn't able to do it, then he spent all of rd 5 trying to take him down just to prove a point. So, with that experience, he might make a different plan / strategy / be less arrogant about his abilities and end up being more successful in a second fight.

With Gustafsson, because he is more physically like Jones, I don't think he needs that experience of fighting him once to know so much better what to do next time.

It's moot cuz Johnson will beat him.

But it's weird when people think they know what will happen in fights.

you do see the contradiction in your post, right?

Are you some kind of wizard??

There's no wizardry involved. GSP and Fedor eventually lost, too. History reveals that if you fight for long enough eventually a loss will come.

lol some were/are branding Anderson Silva as the best fighter, ever. He has 6 career losses.

jbj doesn't do rematches, some of his best strategies are determining who he doesn't fight. Hell, he will cancel an entire card to avoid an opponent!

Who he turns around and trashes? Yeah, he avoided Chael because he was so scared to face him, riiight.

Rampage said:
On some of Jon Jones' tactics
"Vitor took the fight on short notice, and this is how you respect him, by kicking his knee backwards and stuff like that? He's supposed to be a man of God. You can injure somebody, you can sever their career. You can mess people up for life kicking their knee back like that and he does it repeatedly, over and over. To me that has no honor. I take a lot of honor in fighting. He has no honor."
Rampage complains so much holy shit.

Jones said numerous times before the Gus fight that "he couldn't wait to fight Gus so that he could show people that reach wasn't a factor".

Eagerly anticipating a fight and wanting a prove a point doesn't strike me as reasons to take a fight lightly. Jones made that excuse AFTER the gus fight.

This. It's called an excuse. Jones needed a reason to tell people why he didn't dominate Gus and barely won a decision. He was well prepared and took the fight seriously. Anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid. As if his camp would let him take a championship fight lightly, particularly against a guy who matches Jon in age, hunger, size, and is very skilled and dangerous. :rolleyes:

It depends.. guys over the hill like Page, Rashad, Glover, etc would lose worse.

But people forget that Gustaffsson is still young and improves from 1 fight to another. Jones does the same so the question is who gets better.

LOL @ Jones took him lightly, so let me get this straight he took one of his title fights lightly?

any source of him saying this?

Considering Gus was the biggest underdog Jones faced, it's not outside of reason that he overlooked The Mauler as fans and analysts did.

Hindsight does wonders though.

This. It's called an excuse. Jones needed a reason to tell people why he didn't dominate Gus and barely won a decision. He was well prepared and took the fight seriously. Anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid. As if his camp would let him take a championship fight lightly, particularly against a guy who matches Jon in age, hunger, size, and is very skilled and dangerous. :rolleyes:

Not really. that statement from Jones says more about himself than Gus. he never said anything about Alexanders skills, but basically that he was looking forward to showing people that reach isn't that important. he clearly had no respect for Gustaffson's boxing, speed and movement.

Dat hindsight though. i wager that you never gave Gus much of a chance when the fight was announced.

Ugughugh - as much of a tool as he is, was literally the only person who thought he'd beat Jones and actually broke down why he'd do well against him. the rest jumped on his bandwagon or picked Gus because of blind hatred of Bones and/or just wanted to pick against him to say: "i told you so"

Last edited:
Jones only gets better with each fight. Rampage is just being rampage once again.

Yes. Well Me and many others thought he won the first one. Winning a decision is an opinion by judges anyway. Jones was more beat up and injured after the fight. The look on his face alone tells me he knows he lost after the gus fight.

I feel the same way man. Just watching the fight I thought Gus won IMHO. Unfortunately I try not to bring it up because automatically i'm labeled a Jones hater for thinking that according to a lot of Sherdog.

Rampage would never want to fight Jones again.. He is not an overly confident fighters against the elite at this stage...

Just like DC was going to beat him this time.

Terrible comparison. lets not pretend that Jones didn't won by a coin toss against Gus in the fight of his life.

Gus Looms. Jones knows and fears it, like any competitive athlete who strives for greatness would. he's met his equal.

Since Gus moved his camp to the US he has became a complete new fighter.
You can expect him to alot better and Jones knows that, thats why he starts to prepare already.

Gus is faster, better footwork, better striker, bigger, amazing takedown defence
However Jones wrestling will be the key for Jones to win.
If Jones cannot get Gus down he's in trouble

AJ might pull an upset tho

Gus had EVERYTHING going for him in the first fight; defended all but one take down, cut Jones in the first round over the eye which bleed into his eye, had momentum going into the championship rounds... and still lost.

Gus simply put can't fight better or have the fight going for him the way it did in the first fight.

Back