Rampage " ...Jon Jones is the type of of guy you have to fight twice."

First thing Gus said after fighting Jones, and has been saying since then is that he needs to put more pressure on. If he does that and has as much success with his TDD, Jones is in big big trouble.

It's moot cuz Johnson will beat him.

But it's weird when people think they know what will happen in fights.

The oracle of sherdog says you are wrong.

AJ has a 20% chance of beating Gus.

I had a vision of Gus winning a decisive UD

maaaaaarrrrkkk eeeet

Big rampage fan but if he fought Jones again it'd be an even greater massacre.

The only dude i see that would fight him twice and can possibly beat him on the rematch is Gus. People say that Bones learn from the first fight and will figure out Gus. It's not like Gus didn't learn from that fight too. And will not bring a bag of tricks next time. The only real advantage Jones has is that Gus is fighting A Johnson first and that's a big mountain to climb.

You people are crazy if you think JJ is going to do better against Gus the second time.

He was holding his hands out to measure Gus' distance and Gus was straight lighting him up with punches. JJ took a TON of damage in that fight - and thats just in the striking department. In the wrestling department he got his ass handed to him. Gus was taking him down at will.

What is Greg jackson going to do? Clone a version of Jon Jones with better boxing skills and have his fighter train with that?

Gus has to go into this fight with better cardio to win. Jon Jones has to re-learn boxing because he has relied so heavily on his reach. Then he has to find a sparring partner that is as big as Gus is. One with just as good wrestling skills as his. But better boxing.

Gus will beat JJ in the rematch.

100% agree, and I get Rampage point, you can train to wrestle a better wrestler, you can learn to box better, but when you wrestle a wrestler you cant sweep because YOU CANT GET TO HIS LEGS, that you cant throw.. because his hips are to far from you ( because he is so much taller and proportionally different to you and most people you can train with AT A PROFESIONAL LEVEL, that he actually has to bend over in order to clinch with you.. ) , you definetelty have to fight him again, because... THATS THE FREAKING idea of training,, train to the unexpected.. but if you cant find someone to emulate him... you learn by test and failure, fighting with him at least once... in the other hand, when JbJ trains to fight anyone.. well man, you can find good wrestlers and you can find good strikers anywhere and you can get used to their style. thats why i also believe he wont improve enough to beat Gus and he would have problems with someone like DC in a rematch

i am sure DC learned a lot from this ( if he is not so deep into the thoughts of his loss) what actually works and doesnt ( clinch, pull his head down, uppercut him, get out.. not offensive wrestling.. and freaking work on cardio and not waste energy trying to wrestler a guy with his wrestling level and his physical atributes.. its about being smarter not always about being better)

Gus has the physical atributes to beat him ( along with other HWs where his SIZE belongs ) ( not saying its unfair ... if he makes the weight, he makes the weight and end of discussion.. but the thruth is that people of his size normally fight in HW division and there he doesnt have so much of that physical advantage ) because when they clinch his hips stay just as close as it should in order to be thrown and his legs are close enough to be swept, because he doesnt have to bend over to clinch anymore, and thats where the problem begins.. because he is finally with someone he doesnt have physical advantages... or at least not as notorious, but whose boxing is much more polished, and he has relied so much in his reach that he barely has improved his head movement or his footwork.

I am sure when he fights people his size.. Overeem, BRown, Werdum, JDS etc, he will start having a lot of problems too, because these people have always trained to fight people just as big as they are, and have the power to ko,

if i am strick i believe even Hunt has a chance... he is not big but since he has never had agood wrestling.. he doesnt lose time being offensive at wrestling.. he just stay as far as possible from clinching ( like DC should have done ) and well his power and precision needs no introduction. a couple of those uppers that landed on JBJ would probably just had finished the fight

I actually believe that CAins style would have more problems with JBJ but knowing that he wouldnt have DCs cardio issues.. I still give him the edge over JBJ

All I want to know right now is is MilesAbove clever or retarded

Rampage just wants one last pay day. I don't blame him

jbj doesn't do rematches, some of his best strategies are determining who he doesn't fight. Hell, he will cancel an entire card to avoid an opponent!

Ooooh, cuz when Hendo got injured and he was gonna have to face Chael short notice, he didn't want to take the fight, right?

The same Chael he went on to wreck in like 30 seconds, right?

The dude is champion. If I was protecting my legacy and trying to build on it, I wouldn't except a fight on like a week's notice against a new opponent no matter who they are.

And if Gus gets his rematch, I think he should try to fight completely different to throw Jones off. Fuckin with his gameplan is the only thing I can see working in a rematch. Take away dat Greg Jackson effect.

Considering that Jones style/frame is the most unusual in mma, i think anyone fighting him twice will have learned more than Jon the first time around.

I wont bet against JJ, but people are talking like only JJ can improve between now and the potential rematch. That's ridiculous.

I think the whole "I didn't take the fight seriously, I didn't prepare right etc." is just part of JJ's Psychologicalwarfare. He tells the world and he tells himself constantly he's the best until we all believe it. Notice he complains that people even think someone has a chance to beat him, that's kind of ridiculous, why else would we sit down and watch the fights?

But anyway, I think Rampage has a point, (of course Rampage is semi-retired by now so this discussion is not about him). I don't think it will be enough though and I think JJ will win the rematch with Gus if it happens.

Still it's an interesting view, JJ is hard to emulate because he is a unique athlete. The only way to get ready for him is, maybe, to fight him once.

Fixed

Good post though. I think Jones' trick in the Cormier fight was making Cormier believe it

Rampage wants another shot at the belt aka payday so of course he's going to say that.

Certain people don't deserve a rematch ever.
Rampage is one of them.

Had nothing to threaten Jones with.
Now even less.

Jonathan will eventually lose. If it's not in his next fight or in a year or so, he will lose, they all eventually lose. Wait and see.

Jonathan will eventually lose. If it's not in his next fight or in a year or so, he will lose, they all eventually lose. Wait and see.

No one stays undefeated at mma.. so far anyway, that is if you don't count that Hamill "loss" as a loss

Are you some kind of wizard??

He said it again recently. Yes, guys like Jones, Gus and Machida have unusual moves for their weight, hard to prepare for.

On the other hand, Jones' creativity shines when he's given space and a rather immobile opponent to tee off on. He didn't look that creative when Gus moved around him and when DC & Sonnen actively pressured him. Meaning Rampage would likely stand at the outside trying to counter again while Jones can choose a kick to throw at him next.

Back