Rampage " ...Jon Jones is the type of of guy you have to fight twice."

Personally I think that every fighter that Jones has faced will do much worse the 2nd time around.

I think their best chance is their first fight by far. People forget that Jones hasn't fought in MMA that long really. He has now, but he hadn't before he fought guys like Page. He has gotten way better since then and gets better in every fight.

I hope Gus can win in the 2nd fight, but I think that Gus will do worse honestly. Jones will be much more prepared for Gus's offense and the reach advantage being less this time around. Jones is so crafty as a fighter as well with his preparation, that he'd likely make it look much more easy the 2nd time he faces a fighter.

If anything it's the opposite. Jones will learn your tricks and wreck you even worse in the rematch. There's one guy between JJ and Page that's constantly improving, and it's not Quinton.

No.
Jones took him lightly last time and it isn't helping that Gus is running his mouth every chance he gets

Jones will starch him the next time

It's moot cuz Johnson will beat him.

But it's weird when people think they know what will happen in fights.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/9/2...inal-ufc-fight-free-agency-fame-jon-jones-and

Anyone remember when Rampage said this after his fight with JJ? Do you think there is any merit to it?

Gus is close to being the first one to fight JJ twice. Obviously JJ also has experience fighting Gus, but still... Is JJ just such an awkward fighter to fight that it takes some getting used to :icon_chee

Depends on the fighter. Rashad, Cormier, Glover, Vitor, Shogun etc. They could fight him 5 times and they are likely losing all 5.

Gustafsson on the other hand presents some real problems. His movement and his boxing are elite - He cuts angles that makes it very difficult for Bones to take him down. His movement makes Jon miss and when you have an 84' reach missing jabs can become very damaging. You're slower to retract and as a result easier to get countered.

Bones stated after that fight that he didn't work on his wrestling. I'm not sure if I believe this but lets say it's true

jbj doesn't do rematches, some of his best strategies are determining who he doesn't fight. Hell, he will cancel an entire card to avoid an opponent!

No.
Jones took him lightly last time and it isn't helping that Gus is running his mouth every chance he gets

LOL @ Jones took him lightly, so let me get this straight he took one of his title fights lightly?

any source of him saying this?

LOL @ Jones took him lightly, so let me get this straight he took one of his title fights lightly?

Jones said it.

This time around he won't and he might not batter him, but I bet that the fight is a lot less close with Jones winning again.

Gustafsson on the other hand presents some real problems. His movement and his boxing are elite - He cuts angles that makes it very difficult for Bones to take him down. His movement makes Jon miss and when you have an 84' reach missing jabs can become very damaging. You're slower to retract and as a result easier to get countered.

^Exactly.

Gus gave him hell because Gus' footwork is WORLDS better than JJ's. The only reason Gus lost that fight is because he gassed in the championship rounds. He won't let that happen again.
Jones can go back to the gym and try to"catch up" to Gus' superior boxing skills but he won't. Gus striking is technical and fluid compared to JJ's.

And JJ's striking is quite good. But his angles.... His footwork and angles wil not measure up against Gustafsson's.

Last edited:
No.

This except i think it will be a competitive fight.

Rampage was swinging for the fences. Whiffing and all.

we will see with Gus I think, even though I'd love to see Rumble smash him. Honestly I see Jon wrecking Gus ala Silva vs Sonnen 2. Jon knows how close he was to losing that title and he's going to be out to prove something.

I agree that the experience is probably more valuable to the challenger than JJ because JJ is so unique. Whether or not a rematch will equate to an upset is impossible to say; Jones is just so skilled, disciplined, and mentally strong.

Losing fire when you get to the top is a real thing. Sometimes, champs take certain challengers lightly.

That's how things like Serra beating GSP happen.

Gus is a big IF guys....Rumble is no joke. Still think/hope Gus wins. If Jones beats the Gus/Rumble winner he'd be well served to move up to HW. Or, fight Weidman. If Weidman is still undefeated. Thoughts?

Back