Race to 315 Bench?

VOS07/150.............245x1..........245x1

Did you even read the article before you starting talking shit? Kennelly is a 800 pound bench presser.

I know it is habit to shit talk around here. But some times we need to think before we act like an ass to a new poster. Think about what you just wrote for a second. Do you think that someone who won the Arnolds can only bench 315 raw?

PS: A quick google search would tell you who you are talking to - Interview With Powerlifting Promoter Sean Katterle - Sean Zilla

Thanks for your contributions, Sean

Well, do the math, then, Capt. Obvious...

"Think about what you just wrote for a second. Do you think that someone who won the Arnolds can only bench 315 raw?"

OMG! And that right AFTER magicman pretty much revealed everything. This line is definitely sig material.

Seanzilla is not a new poster, he just doesn't get tired to mention the great great great Ryan Kennelly. Everybody googled Seanzilla after he appeared a couple days ago in (I believe) the 20 rep squat thread where he clashed with B0rt. Nobody needs to google Kennelly anymore since he repeatedly broke through the big barrier. I can't believe that people actually fell for that blatant and amateurish post.

And no, Kennelly is not just an 800 pound bencher. That's just sad how you put him down.

@Seanzilla: Thanks for the links, anyway! But maybe you can find once in a while something from another author...

Damn, if this had been a month or two ago I'd have been happy. Recently made a lot of gains in benching so I'm a bit too far along and I've got my close-grip bench close to this. Makes me sad, I wanted a good contest. Maybe me and liquid should revitalize our 275lb Push Press race again. That didnt' go anywhere, haha.

Well, do the math, then, Capt. Obvious...

"Think about what you just wrote for a second. Do you think that someone who won the Arnolds can only bench 315 raw?"

OMG! And that right AFTER magicman pretty much revealed everything. This line is definitely sig material.

Seanzilla is not a new poster, he just doesn't get tired to mention the great great great Ryan Kennelly. Everybody googled Seanzilla after he appeared a couple days ago in (I believe) the 20 rep squat thread where he clashed with B0rt. Nobody needs to google Kennelly anymore since he repeatedly broke through the big barrier. I can't believe that people actually fell for that blatant and amateurish post.

And no, Kennelly is not just an 800 pound bencher. That's just sad how you put him down.

@Seanzilla: Thanks for the links, anyway! But maybe you can find once in a while something from another author...

Listen dude - you are the one who said -

Why would we read about someone who got a 315 raw bench? There are stronger people on this board. I bet this Kennelly guy wore a bench shirt for his Arnold records. That probably added another 70-80 pounds to his press.

You can still act angry. But here are the facts:

1) You never read the article attached;

2) You lack critical thinking skills;

3) Obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Here - read this on Kennelly - Ryan Kennelly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My point is if your going to be disrespetful - at least have good reasons for doing so.

Holy crap, my sarcasm meter must be broken too. I think SDG pwned me.

Can someone throw SDG out of this thread? No one cares about your woes, girly man.

Did you even read the article before you starting talking shit? Kennelly is a 800 pound bench presser.

I know it is habit to shit talk around here. But some times we need to think before we act like an ass to a new poster. Think about what you just wrote for a second. Do you think that someone who won the Arnolds can only bench 315 raw?

PS: A quick google search would tell you who you are talking to - Interview With Powerlifting Promoter Sean Katterle - Sean Zilla

Thanks for your contributions, Sean

Thanks and no worries on the flames I'm getting. This forum is friendly compared to the ones ran by people who are sponsored by bench shirt companies! Ever since I started putting on pro raw meets they've been super hostile, ha!
From what I've seen, Kennelly's best lifts (without a bench shirt and will good form and using a full range of motion) have been 675lbs x 1, 600lbs x 4, 405lbs x 20 and 315lbs x 40. With a bench shirt (if you care) he's gotten a few 1,000+ pound benches in and his highest was a 1,070.

That's actually the exact program I'm on now, although from what I can tell he only predicts it will up your press to around 250 or so, not 315 in just one cycle. I'll let you guys know how it works when I'm done, I'm about half-way through! You can check it out in my log:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/pushin-pullin-cleanin-jerkin-780138/

That's correct. It takes multiple cycles to get from 225 to 315 but that's the right prediction to make (and we geared the #'s jumps to match that) because I'm a regular guy when it comes to lifting and nowhere close to being genetically gifted and I remember that it took about a year of consistent training and solid nutrition to get my raw bench from 225 to 315 (and I had to make that journey more than once due to injuries and illness so the program's worked for me multiple times.)

So the article talks about starting with 45% of your 1rm, and doing 8 sets of 3. That seems like too low of a starting point. I feel like I would be wasting my time until I was up to about 75%. I'm not arguing with someone that obviously knows more than me, just a little surprised.

That starting weight should feel "too light." What you want to be focusing on, during the initial training weeks, is using maximum force to move a very sub maximal weight. You should be really working on your explosiveness and bar speed at that point.

Another drill that we really like (use spotter so you don't hurt yourself) is we set up weight on the smith machine and then we do bench plyos where we try and throw the bar up the steel rods so it hits the top of the smith machine (obviously, we set the weight so it's too heavy to actually clang into the top of the machine.) Then, our spotters catch it as it descends (it's counter balanced so it doesn't free fall), slide the weight back down so we can grip it and then we "bench and throw" it again and we do this for triples.

You want to train your muscles to explode with maxium force for every set and not just for during your max set; this builds speed and power.

In my site's magazine published articles section I've also got material with Joe Mazza (benched 450 raw at 175lbs bwt) and Vincent Dizenzo (benched 600 raw at SHW.)

My company also built BrianSiders.com and Brian's an awesome bencher too (exhibition benched on Comcast Sports Net TV and hit 575lbs x 7 reps without a bench shirt.)

Check out our Published Articles section online if you want to read a bunch of power training articles.

Stay Strong,
Sean Katterle
Hardcore Powerlifting

check the first post. if anyone else wants to enter, hurry up.

i benched 285 in december but i havent lifted over 215 since then. injuries, focus on other places, etc....but i see that on the first page you cant bel over 275 sooo yeah. id like to join but blah blah.

*edit*

Nevermind, i need my wrist wraps.

what do you think your max is right now if you tried this week?

i just want a lot of people in the mix as long as the playing field is even. i haven't even done heavy BB bench since 2007 so I don't know where i stand since my 255.

i could lift the 275 rule for you and standard, just to get more people. 275 -> 315 just seems like a short race., but i'm down for whatever.

Back