Race to 315 Bench?

G

Gavin LeFever

I'm too injured to play with the squat comp, so I feel a little left out.

Anyone interested in some benching? My previous best was 255 and I have only been doing DB and/or high-rep work since.

So, I'm looking for someone with a similar current max. BW not that much of a factor.

Ass on bench, touch and go. No aids.

Sig rights, and avatar until the loser matches or 2009, whichever comes first.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Here we go

Rules
- full range (chest touch and lockout)
- ass on bench
- no aids
- no white belts
- no one over 275/1RM
- video required
- no white belts, unless they have a log
- ask me or a mod once for an update (only if *you* have something to update)
- ask me *twice* for an update and i'll drop you (unless you're losing) :)

Regulations
- winner chooses sigs and avs for all losers
- if losers match at any time (with video) they may clear their sig/avs
- if losers fail to match, they may clear their sig/avs on 01-01-2009
- post your leader board stats accordingly (BW or dates of maxes are optional)

- - - Leader Board
NAME....................STARTING........CURRENT
philthy/???.............260x1............260x1
Fight_Song/178..........255x1............255x1
the_harbinger/231.......255x1............255x1

Anyone else, post on this thread your leader board stats if you want in. The doors will close in a week or two. No one over 275.

White belts, start a log in S&P or post whore for a colored belt.

I'm down.

Our maxes are exactly the same.

EDIT:

the_harbinger/231............255.....255?

1 rep max, ill check mine tommorow cause i never checked in awhile.

I'm game, last time I tried I got 260. I'm actually cutting weight right now so I don't know how conducive that will be to increasing my bench lol. But i'll give it a try.

Here's a great interview with Kennelly (4 x Arnold Classic Hwt. Bench Champ) on his training program for building a 225lb raw bench into a 315lb raw bench.

Here's the link to the magazine tear sheets

Hardcore Powerlifting

Also, over the past 6 years, most of my magazine strength training interviews have been with pro powerlifters and benchpressers but here's a couple that I did with martial artists (magazine tear sheets.)

Lion's Den Fighter Vernon "Tiger" White

Hardcore Powerlifting

California Judo Champion Ritchie Abalos

Hardcore Powerlifting

Stay Strong,
Sean Katterle
Watch the complete 90 minute Bench Monster movie online, in streaming video, at Hardcore Powerlifting

Here's a great interview with Kennelly (4 x Arnold Classic Hwt. Bench Champ) on his training program for building a 225lb raw bench into a 315lb raw bench.

Why would we read about someone who got a 315 raw bench? There are stronger people on this board. I bet this Kennelly guy wore a bench shirt for his Arnold records. That probably added another 70-80 pounds to his press.

I'm down, but I think I'm closer than the rest of you guys.

How does this work, btw?

Why would we read about someone who got a 315 raw bench? There are stronger people on this board. I bet this Kennelly guy wore a bench shirt for his Arnold records. That probably added another 70-80 pounds to his press.

I'm pretty sure the shirt gives more than 70-80 pounds for Kennelly since he has trained for it so much.

I'm pretty sure the shirt gives more than 70-80 pounds for Kennelly since he has trained for it so much.

i'm sensing....

motivator4067017-1.jpg

Kennelly exhibition benched at the Arnold Classic a few years ago and pressed 315 pounds for 40 full range reps. Probably a good idea to listen to him when talking about power bench training.

Did you even read the article before you starting talking shit? Kennelly is a 800 pound bench presser.

I know it is habit to shit talk around here. But some times we need to think before we act like an ass to a new poster. Think about what you just wrote for a second. Do you think that someone who won the Arnolds can only bench 315 raw?

PS: A quick google search would tell you who you are talking to - Interview With Powerlifting Promoter Sean Katterle - Sean Zilla

Thanks for your contributions, Sean

Here's the link to the magazine tear sheets

Hardcore Powerlifting

That's actually the exact program I'm on now, although from what I can tell he only predicts it will up your press to around 250 or so, not 315 in just one cycle. I'll let you guys know how it works when I'm done, I'm about half-way through! You can check it out in my log:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/pushin-pullin-cleanin-jerkin-780138/

So the article talks about starting with 45% of your 1rm, and doing 8 sets of 3. That seems like too low of a starting point. I feel like I would be wasting my time until I was up to about 75%. I'm not arguing with someone that obviously knows more than me, just a little surprised.

I wouldn't mind getting in on some of this action as a motivator, I'm currently maxed at 245-250, with a goal of 300 or so for no later than the end of summer.

I may be in for this, currently hit 285 with a CG, but 275 is the most i've hit comp legal

Kinda high, but you can play, if you manage the score board.

Rules: ass-on-bench, chest touch to lockout, no gear, no aids, touch and go, must have video, no whites.

First guy to hit 315 will make up sigs and avs for losers. If someone matches, they can clear their sig and av.

If someone can't match, they can clear their sig and av on 01,01,2009.

Thoughts? It's not set in stone just yet.

Post your score board entry. BW doesn't matter, but it's good to see and know.

Name/Weight..........Starting Max.....Current Max
Fight_Song/178..........255x1.....255x1

Back