Question regarding belts in BJJ...

I'd say the average at my school for blue belt is 2-3 years, even for guys that are consistent. Different schools have different standards I guess.

Average is 6 months to 2 years, if you stick with a good club.

BJ Penn got his BJJ Black belt in 3.5 years...with training 30-40 hours a week and a trust fund. The normal person trains 5-8 hours a week and gets thier black belt in around 10 years, so with that math BJ got it in the equivalent of 50-60 years of normal person training time. It's all about mat time...he is a phenomenal athlete, but time and money have thier benefits.

Dumbass.

Problem now is there are too many bjj black belts getting handled in mma. I get this horrible feeling that bjj is WAY to sport orientated. It was never meant to be.

I agree with this.Jiu Jitsu was made for self defense first.If you don't train against and with punches,kicks and headbutts ,there's gonna be a false sense of security.

I agree with this.Jiu Jitsu was made for self defense first.If you don't train against and with punches,kicks and headbutts ,there's gonna be a false sense of security.

Yah, I also agree with you. This art is specially made for self defense that contains block, punches, Kicks and many more. Very nice!!

Depends on the school, your goal, how often you train, your natural abilities, etc.

But, if after a month, you're already nosing around for belts....you need to check that crap. Just train man.

i've been training for 7 years and i am currently a brown belt, but this goes much slower in holland. belts don't mean much here...

Depends on the school, your goal, how often you train, your natural abilities, etc.

But, if after a month, you're already nosing around for belts....you need to check that crap. Just train man.

don't be harsh.

I think it is normal to wonder how long a promotion takes.

You will progress faster if you have a grappling dummy, I do that and drill all mornings different techniques, so I don't need a partner to remember where to put a leg, an arm, what direction to go and that stuff, so when I go to classes I just need to apply against a resistant opponent and not just ask "hey where am I supposed to put the arm?" and that things ... :cool:

this thread is like six years old, he's probably gotten his blue by now.

I wonder who he is, he is at my gym after all! For anyone interested, its 2.5-3.5 years to blue here.

so, anyone else find it odd that everyone who bumped it (in 08/10/11) were all white belts with less than 20 posts? i think someone just likes seeing their own threads on the front page.

Depends on the gym, a lot of different standards for blue, even in the same association.
In my current gym 2-4 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back