Question regarding belts in BJJ...

theProdigy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm training with one of the top BJJ schools in Melbourne (I'm down under yo!), have been training for about a month now, twice a week. How long (approximately of course) would it take to get to blue belt? I know there's alot of variables, dedication, teacher etc etc. But assuming best case scenario, (I'm very dedicated to this and I feel that the instructor is great) how long roughly?

I ask cos I'm reading threads of people who have taken upto 30 months to get to Blue, but then some people who have done it in as quick as 7 months.

What's the average time for a white to become blue?

Thanks

theProdigy said:
I'm training with one of the top BJJ schools in Melbourne (I'm down under yo!), have been training for about a month now, twice a week. How long (approximately of course) would it take to get to blue belt? I know there's alot of variables, dedication, teacher etc etc. But assuming best case scenario, (I'm very dedicated to this and I feel that the instructor is great) how long roughly?

I ask cos I'm reading threads of people who have taken upto 30 months to get to Blue, but then some people who have done it in as quick as 7 months.

What's the average time for a white to become blue?

Thanks

Not sure if there really is an "average" as it basically depends on the individual, their accomplishments, and instructor. I think a good guage is how well you do against your co-students (all belts), how you fair in competitions, training frequency, how quickly you comprehend the concepts and how well you execute. Hence, it takes some people as quick as 7 months and others as long as years.

Your probably looking at a year, give or take 6 months depending on previous ability, athletic abilities, academy and dedication. Twice a week is hardly anything at all, maybe 18 months or so.

infamous: THX FOR UR INPUTS

BJJ1995: Yeh sounds about right.

Tegelsten: Unfortunately due to TAFE/Work/Other commitments twice a week is all I can do atm, it sucks but still.. twice is better than nothing. Thanks for your help

theProdigy said:
infamous: THX FOR UR INPUTS

BJJ1995: Yeh sounds about right.

Tegelsten: Unfortunately due to TAFE/Work/Other commitments twice a week is all I can do atm, it sucks but still.. twice is better than nothing. Thanks for your help

read between the lines. train because you love it, and not to be recognized for doing it. Let your scars medals and achivements speak for themselves, not a colored peice of cotton. please base your self worth on something else, my brother.

Thank you, that is a much better answer. The only reason I asked is because I found it strange how there was such a large gap between the possibilities of attaining the next level.

On average : 12-18 months for blue. With talent, a good attitude, and an optimum training schedule we

Where abouts in Melbourne you training? Like others said, don't worry about your belt. Besides it's more fun being a white and giving blues all they can handle then the other way around.
;)

2x a week?

Figure minimum of a year WITH excellent work ethic and athletic ability. If you are willing to train 6days a week, 2hours a day, compete a LOT than it is possible to get blue in 6mo.

seriously, once again, forget the belt. Concentrate on improving your skills, and having fun. When your ready the belt will come.

Heh thanks guys.

Clubber: Been training at Melbourne Uni a bit, but about to start with Dominance. Where do you do it? Btw im the dude who added you to msn :)

I train with Rob Williams at Ground Zero/Gracie Melbourne in the CBD. Used to train at De Beens, been to a few Machodo clubs, but I found the teaching too linear. I'm not saying all Machodo schools are like that. Feel free to drop in for a roll at GZ. It's in Little Bourke st, pretty close to Melbourne Uni.
http://www.graciemelbourne.com.au/
I'm Stef by the way. Look out for the young looking blue that won't shut up. That's me

Not you sorry clubber fuck im mixed up today

infamous mattyd said:
read between the lines. train because you love it, and not to be recognized for doing it. Let your scars medals and achivements speak for themselves, not a colored peice of cotton. please base your self worth on something else, my brother.
My fellow Renzonite is correct

It doesn't matter how much or anything.....this is not math....If you've got it then you've got it when you got it, I was all worried about getting my blue, which I still don't have 6months into training but its not even about getting belts if you're so worried about it go to a TKD school rank is how you feel and "belts" I think are overrated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back