Question regarding belts in BJJ...

ClubberLange said:
I train with Rob Williams at Ground Zero/Gracie Melbourne in the CBD. Used to train at De Beens, been to a few Machodo clubs, but I found the teaching too linear. I'm not saying all Machodo schools are like that. Feel free to drop in for a roll at GZ. It's in Little Bourke st, pretty close to Melbourne Uni.
http://www.graciemelbourne.com.au/
I'm Stef by the way. Look out for the young looking blue that won't shut up. That's me

I trained with a big guy who wore a BRIGHT redorangish gi, named Hugh? He was training around your parts. Cool enough guy took some classes at our academy in Hawaii. Know him?

To the poster: +1 for what everbody else said and add to this. If belt promotion is your thing and IF possible compete. Compete. Compete. Compete in your class. An absolute. Or even a higher belt. If you win great and promotions are sure to follow. If you lose, analyze what part of your game is lacking. Mental, takedowns, bottom, top, postions, control, submissions etc.

Best of luck and happy training.

infamous mattyd said:
read between the lines. train because you love it, and not to be recognized for doing it. Let your scars medals and achivements speak for themselves, not a colored peice of cotton. please base your self worth on something else, my brother.

Well said; excellent point.

ShadowNINku said:
It doesn't matter how much or anything.....this is not math....If you've got it then you've got it when you got it, I was all worried about getting my blue, which I still don't have 6months into training but its not even about getting belts if you're so worried about it go to a TKD school rank is how you feel and "belts" I think are overrated.

Enough of the "over rated" rant. Go tell a blue belt his he's overrated. Or better yet, tell a purple that. Belts mean big shit in BJJ whether you deny it not. Should a white belt be tapping blues? Maybe on a good day. Should a white belt be tapping purples? Only if they had experience in judo or sambo. Should a white belt be tapping browns? Never in fucking hell. I think that means belts mean something.

BTW OP, it's best if you don't think about the belt at all. Thinking about it just discourages you. But, if you're good it's a year. Average is 2 and by 3 you should be one unless you're sandbagging.

jjmuaythaiguy said:
I trained with a big guy who wore a BRIGHT redorangish gi, named Hugh? He was training around your parts. Cool enough guy took some classes at our academy in Hawaii. Know him?

Nah man, no idea. You know what school he trains at? what belt he is?

Belts really aren't a true factor determining skill. I've seen blue belts tap out brown belts, so it just goes to show.

ClubberLange said:
Nah man, no idea. You know what school he trains at? what belt he is?

He said at a JJ Machado affiliate / association in Australia. I might have heard wrong if you are there and he is not.

This guy will stand out with the brightness of his gi. Its not new but still bright. Next big Australian guy wearing this gi just ask him "Are you Hugh?" Never caught the name of the academy or forgot it if he told me.

He and his family were in Hawaii for vacation and for two or three days took class with Relson Gracie at night. Took pictures with him, got him to sign stuff and got some shirts from our school.

I think he is a white four stripe supposed to be testing for his blue. Been white two years he said good friendly guy, just that gi, it hurt my eyes.

SKD: Yeh thats me :)

JJmuaythaiguy: I trained under Hugh Jones for a bit, he wears a black gi, he used to teach at Melbourne Uni and then a club called 3Energy Arts but that shutdown now

theProdigy said:
SKD: Yeh thats me :)

JJmuaythaiguy: I trained under Hugh Jones for a bit, he wears a black gi, he used to teach at Melbourne Uni and then a club called 3Energy Arts but that shutdown now

Judo classes just started up last week, those should be fun. Come by if you're looking to learn how to throw !

I don't think the guy jjmuaythaiguy is talking about is the same as our old instructor Huw.

Dont worry about the belt, just get good, then when you notice higher grades starting to avoid you on the mat because you own them be prowd.

SKD: Sounds like a plan. Btw, Tom has no idea who you are from the club, I showed him this thread and he is clueless haha. I'll definately come by for Judo though, cheers.

Oktavius said:
Dont worry about the belt, just get good, then when you notice higher grades starting to avoid you on the mat because you own them be prowd.

I don't know if I'm considered a higher grade (purple belt) but I never avoid the tough matches. I avoid the easy ones. I think a better indicator is when the higher belts are eagar to roll with you (at least that's the way it is at our academy). Not to bash the lower belts but I'd rather roll against the guys that are gonna take it to me not someone I can blow through.

theProdigy said:
SKD: Sounds like a plan. Btw, Tom has no idea who you are from the club, I showed him this thread and he is clueless haha. I'll definately come by for Judo though, cheers.

Haha tom is such a retard. It is Daniel !

See you at Judo this week maybe :)

Lobo said:
I don't know if I'm considered a higher grade (purple belt) but I never avoid the tough matches. I avoid the easy ones. I think a better indicator is when the higher belts are eagar to roll with you (at least that's the way it is at our academy). Not to bash the lower belts but I'd rather roll against the guys that are gonna take it to me not someone I can blow through.

Yes i think you are correct there Lobo but i sorta meant guys of a closer calibre and not a few belts ahead likes high whites and low blues. But it depends on the person in the end i suppose.

You'll get it when your instructor gives it to you. I was tapping white belts for 2-3 months before I actually got my blue belt and had to endure 5-6 fresh opponents non stop, back to back when sparring for anywhere between 5 to 15 minutes a time. Then I even had to spar with Mario Reis the day after I got my belt to try prove I was worth receiving it. Hopefully you will not have tp run such a gauntlet. If you stick to training 2-3 times a week you should get youe blue belt between 12 to 18 months.

its good that it take so long to get a Bjj Black belt because i get pissed off when i see these 11 year old black belt walking around

Razer said:
its good that it take so long to get a Bjj Black belt because i get pissed off when i see these 11 year old black belt walking around

Problem now is there are too many bbj black belts getting handled in mma. I get this horrible feeling that bjj is WAY to sport orientated. It was never meant to be.

BJ Penn got his BJJ Black belt in 3.5 years...with training 30-40 hours a week and a trust fund. The normal person trains 5-8 hours a week and gets thier black belt in around 10 years, so with that math BJ got it in the equivalent of 50-60 years of normal person training time. It's all about mat time...he is a phenomenal athlete, but time and money have thier benefits.

making an account to ttt a 3 years old thread?

Back