Question for Irish People

Its all down to the intent. An Englishman would/should know better, so if he walked into a place in Dublin and called the locals micks or paddies, it would be thought that he was being intentionally arsey.

An American would, I suspect, not know it could be taken badly and would probably get the benefit of the doubt. Americans are known for being very well intentioned but poorly informed tourists who are prone to saying offensive things without malice. For example, my missus who was well traveled and educated said, nice and loud in the first pub I brought her to, "so do most catholics or protestants go here". I nearly gagged her, but to be honest, most people just erupted laughing near us. Typical Americans, no harm done! Again, a Brit or especially English making that faux pas given the history would probably get a different reception.

Intention, its what needs to be examined.

Yeah, fucking Brit bastards, fucking queen huggers. ;)

Calling Americans Yanks isn't even supposed to be remotely offensive. It's like calling the Irish Paddys.

it depends on the context. Sometimes it's used in a very demeaning way almost like hick or country bumkin.

Once in a bar with the rugby team there was a guy from Wales sitting next to me and he starts telling us what a great rugby player he is, of course he's a flanker (all shit talkers are always flankers, except for the Argentinean shit talkers they are all full backs) so we of course ask him to join the club. He starts spewing more shit that "the only team he'd ever play for is the Welsh national team and he's too good for a bunch of Paddys and yanks", also didn't help that he spit on floor after saying "yank".

I grabbed the phone behind the bar and held it up for him and said "hey, it's Wales on the phone, and they don't want you". This led to probably the most one sided bar fight I'd ever been in, I actually felt sorry for him after, but led to a general low opinion of the Welsh.

To long didn't read. To answer your obvious question, yes I drink. ALOT.

I'm 'Murrican, and I couldn't give less of a shit. I didn't think anyone else did either.

My question is about what Irish people think about so many Americans identifying so strongly with Ireland and Irish culture? Italians do the same to a lesser extent, at least in my experience.

Considering the US is a country of immigrants, quite a few people do that here, but it seems those with Irish and Italian ancestry are the most vocal about it.

More vocal about it than mexicans?

There were dozens of cocktails with names like "9/11". You know why the TS was misled to believe they didn't exist?

Because they sucked.

Dep got destroyed here

Maybe in Ireland. In USA they're filled with frat boys and skull shirts.

Different cultures, we don't have frat houses here and as for skull shirts........ do I really need to explain ?

I shot-gunned a beer and the families of people murdered by shotguns got piiiiiised.

This question is more about Northern Ireland than the Republic. It's pretty much all in context, but generally if someone asks for an Irish Car Bomb in a bar, they'll be told politely to reconsider. If it's an American, the bartender will roll their eyes and think "Another dumb yank". If it's an English squaddie asking, they'll maybe interpret it differently. A bit like the Black and Tan in the Republic.

The most offensive thing is the drink itself, not the name. Just have a pint with a chaser. Why would you need to drop a Baileys and a Jameson into a pint for.

The most offensive thing is the drink itself, not the name. Just have a pint with a chaser. Why would you need to drop a Baileys and a Jameson into a pint for.

Because it's awesome and fun.

One St. Paddy's, I was planning on doing a few of these before going out. My DD drove over to my house a little later than I'd expected so I ended up doing like 6 or 7 of them before he even got there. He ended up just encouraging me to do more of them until I passed out so he wouldn't have to actually drive me anywhere. His plan worked to perfection, I woke up the next morning having never left the house. Not sure how many of them I actually did before I passed out.

Because it's awesome and fun.

One St. Paddy's, I was planning on doing a few of these before going out. My DD drove over to my house a little later than I'd expected so I ended up doing like 6 or 7 of them before he even got there. He ended up just encouraging me to do more of them until I passed out so he wouldn't have to actually drive me anywhere. His plan worked to perfection, I woke up the next morning having never left the house. Not sure how many of them I actually did before I passed out.

you woke up with blood in your underwear though, didn't ya.

This question is more about Northern Ireland than the Republic. It's pretty much all in context, but generally if someone asks for an Irish Car Bomb in a bar, they'll be told politely to reconsider. If it's an American, the bartender will roll their eyes and think "Another dumb yank". If it's an English squaddie asking, they'll maybe interpret it differently. A bit like the Black and Tan in the Republic.

Dep, what's the deal with Religious distinctions between Whiskeys? Me and some friends from college were having a shot that's kind of a Birthday tradition for our group (Bushmills) and our Buddy from Ireland was beside himself offended about it and insisted that no one drink it because it was Protestant Whiskey...

I couldn't believe anyone would be offended by that.

My new drink? I call it The Drone Strike.

cocktail.jpg

Dep, what's the deal with Religious distinctions between Whiskeys? Me and some friends from college were having a shot that's kind of a Birthday tradition for our group (Bushmills) and our Buddy from Ireland was beside himself offended about it and insisted that no one drink it because it was Protestant Whiskey...

I couldn't believe anyone would be offended by that.

Bushmills is made in Northern Ireland, whereas pretty much all other Irish is made in the south. It's from a staunchly protestant area and traditionally they refused to employ catholic workers for a few hundred years. Led to its black-listing in groups like the AOH. The brand was bought out by Diageo a few years back, so that's all done with.

[YT]FeCQDave60E[/YT]

Back