Question for Irish People

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
In the United States there is a drink called, the Irish Car Bomb. I've often wondered, is this offensive to Irish people? I mean obviously Car Bombs were a terrible occurrence at one time. I feel like it would be as untasteful as the Irish having a drink called "The Twin Towers Drop" or something. But maybe it isn't offensive, so that's why am asking.

Other people could contribute to this thread, by sharing things that perhaps your own culture, ethnicity, sub - culture etc. find offensive that maybe other people don't really know about.

I often wonder if British people realize that Americans don't really like to be referred to as "Yanks" and if so, if they really care?

I am 12.5% Irish and that is all it takes for me to be a raging alcoholic.

I am like 0% Irish and I'm also an alcoholic.

Why do you care if a limey calls you a yank?

Wow, this thread already went 100% away from the topic.

Why do you care if a limey calls you a yank?

I don't get particularly offended myself, but if some guy starts calling me a Yank, most likely I'm not going to like him. But, I've seen a few British people use it and I can't tell if they are trying to be offensive, or just not recognizing people don't generally like it in the U.S.

In the United States there is a drink called, the Irish Car Bomb. I've often wondered, is this offensive to Irish people? I mean obviously Car Bombs were a terrible occurrence at one time. I feel like it would be as untasteful as the Irish having a drink called "The Twin Towers Drop" or something. But maybe it isn't offensive, so that's why am asking.

Other people could contribute to this thread, by sharing things that perhaps your own culture, ethnicity, sub - culture etc. find offensive that maybe other people don't really know about.

I often wonder if British people realize that Americans don't really like to be referred to as "Yanks" and if so, if they really care?

Twin-Towers Drop sounds like it'd be a fucking awesome drink.

Also, what Americans are bothered by being called Yanks? (I've never encountered this)

I'm 'Murrican, and I couldn't give less of a shit. I didn't think anyone else did either.

My question is about what Irish people think about so many Americans identifying so strongly with Ireland and Irish culture? Italians do the same to a lesser extent, at least in my experience.

Considering the US is a country of immigrants, quite a few people do that here, but it seems those with Irish and Italian ancestry are the most vocal about it.

Twin-Towers Drop sounds like it'd be a fucking awesome drink.

Also, what Americans are bothered by being called Yanks? (I've never encountered this)

Maybe I shouldn't be speaking for all Americans I guess. But I've never really heard "Yanks" used in a polite way. It's generally, "Those damn Yanks" or "F#*king Yanks," never, "I had a great time with some Yanks the other day."

Maybe I shouldn't be speaking for all Americans I guess. But I've never really heard "Yanks" used in a polite way. It's generally, "Those damn Yanks" or "F#*king Yanks," never, "I had a great time with some Yanks the other day."

Yeah but it's like a joke of an insult. Like if you were from the north and I called you a scalawag or something.

So about this Irish Car Bomb drink.....do the Irish find it offensive?

lmao you opened up the door for your own thread derailment.

lmao you opened up the door for your own thread derailment.

Seriously. I actually do that a lot. If you start the thread with an example, people become obsessed with the example, the legitimacy of the example, their feelings about the example, etc etc, an not the thread question....so yes, I killed my own thread.

All I know about Irish people is you don't touch the potato

K my parents were born in Ireland and I have my Irish citizenship, I have some cousins from the emerald isle and this is what i've noticed:

(correct me if i'm wrong) for the most part, Irish people don't get offended too easily. They are good humored. They are very witty, clever people and have a real gift for conversation, they understand nuance really well. They don't simply "get offended" like people in North America do unless

A) They just don't like you and want an excuse to fuck with you or
B) they realize that whatever you're saying you're saying to intentionally offend them, so they are offended because you're being an asshole.

If you're being unintentionally offensive most Irish people don't give a fuck, they might clobber you for fun but they aren't deeply or automatically offended like people in the USA are. You have to INTEND to offend in order to be offensive, usually.

To answer the TS's question, I've never met an Irish person who was offended by the Irish Car Bomb shot/beer combo. The Black and Tan is a drink they serve in Ireland and that would be a little more offensive, if anything was offensive, but they don't seem to give a shit about that either.

The Black and Tans were the British gestapo in Ireland. Murdered a lot of innocent people for no good reason. Irish still name a drink after them. 900 years of oppression gave us thick skin I guess.

Last edited:
To answer your question ts, if you went to pub in Ireland and asked for an Irish Car Bomb or a Black and Tan, you's probably be greeted with this...

Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

simply because men don't drink cocktails, we leave that to the women or ignorant yanks. :icon_chee

To answer your question ts, if you went to pub in Ireland and asked for an Irish Car Bomb or a Black and Tan, you's probably be greeted with this...

Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

simply because men don't drink cocktails, we leave that to the women or ignorant yanks. :icon_chee

love the response.

Does a shot and a beer really constitute a cocktail?

(correct me if i'm wrong) for the most part, Irish people don't get offended too easily. They are good humored. They are very witty, clever people and have a real gift for conversation, they understand nuance really well. They don't simply "get offended" like people in North America do unless

A) They just don't like you and want an excuse to fuck with you or
B) they realize that whatever you're saying you're saying to intentionally offend them, so they are offended because you're being an asshole.

If you're being unintentionally offensive most Irish people don't give a fuck, they might clobber you for fun but they aren't deeply or automatically offended like people in the USA are. You have to INTEND to offend in order to be offensive, usually.

this is an attitude you'll find in a lot of the british isles,especially Northern England and Scotland

love the response.

Does a shot and a beer really constitute a cocktail?

Separate they're grand but if your in a country pub like my local and dropped your shot into your pint, people would just shake their heads and think you were a funking eejit. There are general rules here, about whats socially acceptable while having a drink.

PS saying that we're part of the british isles is also a no no.

Back