Question for Irish People

Yank and Limey aren't insults.

Sure it is. It's short for "limey **********", a common expression in 19th century America.

Al%2BSwearengen.jpg

A black and tan is a cocktail??!!

Well put a dress on me and call me Susan.

Also don't Brits love to drink snakebites??

I'm American as can be.. N being called "yank" is great. Yanks vs Redcoats. Lol I have a British friend and I always call him red coat n it don't bug him at all. But being Called yank by a Brit is no big deal. So don't make it be TS!

A black and tan is a cocktail??!!

Well put a dress on me and call me Susan.

1. Why the fuck would anyone order a mix of 2 different types of beer, in the first place ?
2. It's 2 drinks mixed together, that's for kids or women.
3. Ordering a Black and Tan in Ireland, is like asking for a SS-Totenkopfverb

I really don't think they'd care. At all.
If anything they'd just point out that it's a drink, not a car-bomb.

As for americans identifying themselves as Irish.
Secret laughing stock. They'll be polite and appreciative when you're around.
But make no mistake about it. When they go back to their actual irish born and raised family and friends in ireland you're a joke to them.

1. Why the fuck would anyone order a mix of 2 different types of beer, in the first place ?
2. It's 2 drinks mixed together, that's for kids or women.
3. Ordering a Black and Tan in Ireland, is like asking for a SS-Totenkopfverb

In the United States there is a drink called, the Irish Car Bomb. I've often wondered, is this offensive to Irish people? I mean obviously Car Bombs were a terrible occurrence at one time. I feel like it would be as untasteful as the Irish having a drink called "The Twin Towers Drop" or something. But maybe it isn't offensive, so that's why am asking.

Other people could contribute to this thread, by sharing things that perhaps your own culture, ethnicity, sub - culture etc. find offensive that maybe other people don't really know about.

I often wonder if British people realize that Americans don't really like to be referred to as "Yanks" and if so, if they really care?

People who are easily offended, need to shelter themselves from the rest of the world, instead of crying about it. The Irish can take a joke though, fortunately.

But make no mistake about it. When they go back to their actual irish born and raised family and friends in ireland you're a joke to them.

I always wondered that.

I think I first had the thought put into my head during the buildup to Dan Hardy vs. Marcus Davis, when Hardy was ripping him apart in the promos about "The Irish Hand Grenade" shit.

People who are easily offended, need to shelter themselves from the rest of the world, instead of crying about it. The Irish can take a joke though, fortunately.

Most of us can. I live in Northern Ireland where a vocal minority are hypersensitive to any perceived offense, irrespective of how minor or unintentional it may be. The sheltering from the rest of the world is strong with them.

As far as I'm concerned, my sense of humor is as dark as it comes, and I have a very strong tolerance when it comes to both alcohol and having a laugh. Indeed, I welcome them, and try to experience both on a regular basis.

I always wondered that.

I think I first had the thought put into my head during the buildup to Dan Hardy vs. Marcus Davis, when Hardy was ripping him apart in the promos about "The Irish Hand Grenade" shit.

I'll never ridicule anyone for exploring and acknowledging their heritage but....Dan made me laugh. Repeatedly.

Hands up who's tried mixing a spoonful of brown sauce in their cup of tea, after watching the movie Intermission ?

*slowly raises hand

See thats odd to me. My mom was born in italy. All my italian cousins try to tell ME that im italian. Im like noooo im american, they want me to watch soccer and hang out in the piazza drinking expresso and joking around all night. And are like "You are italian! You should enjoy this!"

And to be honest, i find irish people more offendable than americans. The whole stereotype of irish people being easygoing i find true of the irish/americans here in chicago, but when i was actually in ireland i found them to be pretty crabby.

See thats odd to me. My mom was born in italy. All my italian cousins try to tell ME that im italian. Im like noooo im american, they want me to watch soccer and hang out in the piazza drinking expresso and joking around all night. And are like "You are italian! You should enjoy this!"

And to be honest, i find irish people more offendable than americans. The whole stereotype of irish people being easygoing i find true of the irish/americans here in chicago, but when i was actually in ireland i found them to be pretty crabby.

You are Italian American which is very different than Italian. It has become a subculture all it's own and if you dropped your average Italian American in the middle of Italy they would feel very very out of place. But you can be Italian American and enjoy the Italian American Subculture.

Hands up who's tried mixing a spoonful of brown sauce in their cup of tea, after watching the movie Intermission ?

*slowly raises hand

[YT]ALRa-KdIVX0&start=33[/YT]

Just a thought but maybe the problem was you ?

I really don't think they'd care. At all.
If anything they'd just point out that it's a drink, not a car-bomb.

Unless you've done something worthwhile. Then the Irish have no problem claiming you as their own. JFK comes to mind.

Maybe I shouldn't be speaking for all Americans I guess. But I've never really heard "Yanks" used in a polite way. It's generally, "Those damn Yanks" or "F#*king Yanks," never, "I had a great time with some Yanks the other day."

Substitute yanks for Americans. It still works with the above examples.

You are Italian American which is very different than Italian. It has become a subculture all it's own and if you dropped your average Italian American in the middle of Italy they would feel very very out of place. But you can be Italian American and enjoy the Italian American Subculture.

well thats true. im just saying the real off the boat degos that i know dont secretly snicker at their american couunterparts for identifying with the old country, if anything they want to preserve italian culture as much as possible here and are happy that the americanos like me still keep it up.

well thats true. im just saying the real off the boat degos that i know dont secretly snicker at their american couunterparts for identifying with the old country, if anything they want to preserve italian culture as much as possible here and are happy that the americanos like me still keep it up.

No, but they might snicker at you for using Dago.

Unless you're referring to San Diego.

Calling Americans Yanks isn't even supposed to be remotely offensive. It's like calling the Irish Paddys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back