Question for Irish People

All I know about Irish people is you don't touch the potato

The Irish know nothing about potatoes.

For true potato mastery, look to Germany, or Brussels.

I'll never ridicule anyone for exploring and acknowledging their heritage but....Dan made me laugh. Repeatedly.

Davis isn't even Irish American right? I thought that's what I remembered Hardy making fun of him for. Actually just looked it up a bit more, apparently he's Irish, Welsh and Scottish so he's basically just a mutt like most other Americans.

A few of my training partners have been calling me the Irish Car Bomb as a nickname because I'm just about full blooded Irish for around 7 years just as a joke, it became a little less funny when I turned into an actual alcoholic though.

See thats odd to me. My mom was born in italy. All my italian cousins try to tell ME that im italian. Im like noooo im american, they want me to watch soccer and hang out in the piazza drinking expresso and joking around all night. And are like "You are italian! You should enjoy this!"

And to be honest, i find irish people more offendable than americans. The whole stereotype of irish people being easygoing i find true of the irish/americans here in chicago, but when i was actually in ireland i found them to be pretty crabby.

Yeah, my father was born in Italy and I'm the first in my family born in Canada, and I'm definitely Canadian. Apart from a few token traditions, I have no idea what it means to be Italian.

I don't get particularly offended myself, but if some guy starts calling me a Yank, most likely I'm not going to like him. But, I've seen a few British people use it and I can't tell if they are trying to be offensive, or just not recognizing people don't generally like it in the U.S.

lol, "yank" to me is such an old-fashioned word, that i'd probably start laughing if someone called me that.

So it's settled then-Europeans don't give a shit while 'Murrican's have sandy vags or try to pretend that they have so they could act all PC & shit.

In the United States there is a drink called, the Irish Car Bomb. I've often wondered, is this offensive to Irish people? I mean obviously Car Bombs were a terrible occurrence at one time. I feel like it would be as untasteful as the Irish having a drink called "The Twin Towers Drop" or something. But maybe it isn't offensive, so that's why am asking.

Other people could contribute to this thread, by sharing things that perhaps your own culture, ethnicity, sub - culture etc. find offensive that maybe other people don't really know about.

I often wonder if British people realize that Americans don't really like to be referred to as "Yanks" and if so, if they really care?

Its not offensive, its just something nobody ever says so if you went to a bar and asked for one they wouldn't know what you're talking about.

Yanks is sometimes used as a generic term for American, the term itself isn't meant to be offensive, but like everything it could be if used a certain way.

Hands up who's tried mixing a spoonful of brown sauce in their cup of tea, after watching the movie Intermission ?

*slowly raises hand

Yep. I saw it on DVD and actually paused it to go and try this.

Not successful.

Sure it is. It's short for "limey **********", a common expression in 19th century America.

Al%2BSwearengen.jpg

it actually isn't. It is a reference that British sailors used to have to eat limes to combat scurvy on long sea voyages. Hence the term limey.

Calling Americans Yanks isn't even supposed to be remotely offensive. It's like calling the Irish Paddys.

Try that one out if you ever come to Ireland, it won't work out so well. Americans and others might get away with it but if someone with an English accent walked into a pub in Ireland and called everyone "paddies", he'd be lucky to walk out with his head still attached. I've scene this scenario play out numerous times.

Not to me but I'm not near the border.

I've never met anyone who's been offended by it though.

Last edited:
Its all down to the intent. An Englishman would/should know better, so if he walked into a place in Dublin and called the locals micks or paddies, it would be thought that he was being intentionally arsey.

An American would, I suspect, not know it could be taken badly and would probably get the benefit of the doubt. Americans are known for being very well intentioned but poorly informed tourists who are prone to saying offensive things without malice. For example, my missus who was well traveled and educated said, nice and loud in the first pub I brought her to, "so do most catholics or protestants go here". I nearly gagged her, but to be honest, most people just erupted laughing near us. Typical Americans, no harm done! Again, a Brit or especially English making that faux pas given the history would probably get a different reception.

Intention, its what needs to be examined.

I don't get particularly offended myself, but if some guy starts calling me a Yank, most likely I'm not going to like him. But, I've seen a few British people use it and I can't tell if they are trying to be offensive, or just not recognizing people don't generally like it in the U.S.

They don't care about pissing you off but they know you don't like it.

In the United States there is a drink called, the Irish Car Bomb. I've often wondered, is this offensive to Irish people? I mean obviously Car Bombs were a terrible occurrence at one time. I feel like it would be as untasteful as the Irish having a drink called "The Twin Towers Drop" or something. But maybe it isn't offensive, so that's why am asking.

Other people could contribute to this thread, by sharing things that perhaps your own culture, ethnicity, sub - culture etc. find offensive that maybe other people don't really know about.

I often wonder if British people realize that Americans don't really like to be referred to as "Yanks" and if so, if they really care?
"Irish car bomb" no one would really care, in fact they would chuckle at it. When a police van is called a " Paddy wagon " :icon_chee or been referred to as " the Fightin' Irish ", in fact such as Irish Rugby fans often have "Fightin' Irish" on their scarves and t shirts etc

I once got a stern talking to from a bartender at an Irish Bar while in College when I ordered this drink. At first, I was tempted to give him a "Are you fucking kidding me" but he was so serious and passionate about it that I apologized and ordered a similar thing only giving the ingredients.

Srs bzns.

Irish.

No, I ain't gonna be offended unless your trying to offend me. We have a good sense of humour and I highly evolved offence detector.

Plus the Irish on the whole don't mind being a bit racist or sexist.

Now.

You got 30seconds to clear the fucking area.

Plus we call you yanks because it knocks ya down a few pegs.

Although I call ya 'septics' after living in London for a while. Septic tank-yank.

Back