Movies Quentin Tarantino's Final Film? The Movie Critic

I'm guessing perhaps the Hateful Eight script being leaked forced him to play up more than just the dialog heavy sections.

Personally I preffered it to Django.

I dont really pair them off against each other like that. I'm a huge fan of all of em and they all hit perfectly when i'm in the mood for a particular one. I will say as a fan of film of all eras,I really enjoy shots like that.

Last edited:
I have a feeling if he does "retire" after this he might just end up doing a lot of "specials" on streaming, kind of a "QT presents" on Netflix or something were you get similar kinds of stories told in a shorter form on a small scale.

Ironic thing is though I think he's actuallty become more "cinematic" in his last couple of films, Hateful 8 and Hollywood I think depended more strongly on how they looked than anything he'd made previously besides perhaps Kill Bill.
He is only retiring from making movies. He already has another book on film criticism coming out, has mentioned plans for a TV show, plays and other creative endeavors.

I have a feeling if he does "retire" after this he might just end up doing a lot of "specials" on streaming, kind of a "QT presents" on Netflix or something were you get similar kinds of stories told in a shorter form on a small scale.

Ironic thing is though I think he's actuallty become more "cinematic" in his last couple of films, Hateful 8 and Hollywood I think depended more strongly on how they looked than anything he'd made previously besides perhaps Kill Bill.
No doubt he'll do stuff with TV. And surely get a $60-$100 million dollar budget for it.

https://theplaylist.net/tom-cruise-...urs-like-paul-thomas-anderson-again-20240221/

According to this article Tom Cruise's role in The Movie Critic likely to be a cameo as the actor is busy with the next Mission Impossible.

Also the movie is still in search of a distributor.
That's a damn shame. I was hoping for more. But.... I guess anything is better than nothing. I just hope it's more than a single scene. And I hope Cruise has more than a day or weekend to film his stuff. Hopefully he's able to put in a solid week, at least.

In a surprising report Quentin Tarantino has scrapped plans for The Movie Critic and with go back to the drawing broad to rethink his 10th and final film.

"As for The Movie Critic, originally planned to be his 10th and final film, Tarantino has simply had a change of heart and Deadline hears he will not be moving forward with the project. Sources close to the director said he changed his mind and is going back to the drawing board to figure out what that final movie will be."

https://deadline.com/2024/04/quenti...wont-be-the-movie-critic-scrapped-1235888577/

Can't really get too up in arms about him dropping the film. Not much was known about the premise anyways. As long as we end up getting whatever ends up being his supposed final film; then I'm good.

Yeah my main problem is that it will take even longer for his final film will take even longer to come out. If he hasn't written it yet, the movie won't come out for years.

Yeah my main problem is that it will take even longer for his final film will take even longer to come out. If he hasn't written it yet, the movie won't come out for years.

Yeah, we definitely won't be getting it anytime soon and that's a shame.

But if it's as good or better than "Once upon a time...." and it truly is his final film, then it will so be worth it.

Yeah, we definitely won't be getting it anytime soon and that's a shame.

But if it's as good or better than "Once upon a time...." and it truly is his final film, then it will so be worth it.

True, I just hope he does his TV series or another project in the mean time. He said the series was written already, so he could to that or a book to refresh his mind for his last movie.

This is all Tarantino's doing. He's set this arbitrary cap for himself, which has made this next film arbitrarily his last film, and now he's getting in his head about what a "final film" is supposed to be...he's doing this all to himself. The real change of heart that I want him to have is for him to realize that his plan is stupid. He should just make as many movies as he wants as frequently or as infrequently as he wants. He doesn't have to make x films, he doesn't have to stop by x date. That's dumb. Just live and work as you will.

This is all Tarantino's doing. He's set this arbitrary cap for himself, which has made this next film arbitrarily his last film, and now he's getting in his head about what a "final film" is supposed to be...he's doing this all to himself. The real change of heart that I want him to have is for him to realize that his plan is stupid. He should just make as many movies as he wants as frequently or as infrequently as he wants. He doesn't have to make x films, he doesn't have to stop by x date. That's dumb. Just live and work as you will.

I don't think its altogether arbitrary. He has long talked about directors losing their touch after a certain point. Although QUATIH is my favorite movie, a case could be made that he has started to reach that point judging by the reaction by younger generations who the film was lost on.

I don't think its altogether arbitrary.

It's literally the definition of arbitrary. It's his weird whim. The same weirdness that inspired him to have characters in his films smoke a fictional brand of cigarettes has decided randomly that 10 movies equals a career. Weird sort of comes with the territory when dealing with artists, but his brand of weird is not only going to rob the universe of his films but it seems to even be actively fucking with his filmmaking.

He has long talked about directors losing their touch after a certain point.

And this is stupid. A movie nerd like him should know better. There's no magic number - not with respect to number of films directed, or number of years active, or age - that means anything. It's all in his weird head.

Although QUATIH is my favorite movie, a case could be made that he has started to reach that point judging by the reaction by younger generations who the film was lost on.

Who was that film lost on? It's his second highest box office hit, and in my film classes more students have seen that film than have seen anything pre-Django. Don't try to find facts or use logic. It's all in Tarantino's head.

Who was that film lost on? It's his second highest box office hit, and in my film classes more students have seen that film than have seen anything pre-Django. Don't try to find facts or use logic. It's all in Tarantino's head.

There were many reviews I saw from younger folks who had no idea about Manson or Sharon Tate...Hell there were some who didn't know how Bruce Lee was. All the impact was lost on them.

There were many reviews I saw from younger folks who had no idea about Manson or Sharon Tate...Hell there were some who didn't know how Bruce Lee was. All the impact was lost on them.

Oh, sure, the historical facts of the time period may not be common knowledge to today's youth. But everyone loved the movie, even people who weren't familiar with Manson or the murders. That's the point. Popular and critical reactions to his films have not even started to dwindle; if anything, he put himself back to the place where he was around Inglourious Basterds time.

Oh, sure, the historical facts of the time period may not be common knowledge to today's youth. But everyone loved the movie, even people who weren't familiar with Manson or the murders. That's the point. Popular and critical reactions to his films have not even started to dwindle; if anything, he put himself back to the place where he was around Inglourious Basterds time.

Initially it didn't seem to be as well regarded as you say. There was lots of talk about how it was meandering or boring, that Tate was pointless etc...

But it has tremendous rewatchability, and as people who revisit it after becoming familiar with the events of the time seem to appreciate it more.

Initially it didn't seem to be as well regarded as you say. There was lots of talk about how it was meandering or boring, that Tate was pointless etc...

But it has tremendous rewatchability, and as people who revisit it after becoming familiar with events of the time seem to appreciate it more.

This honestly isn't worth arguing about, because it has nothing to do with the point that this whole ending-his-career thing is a goofy move on Tarantino's part that's all in his head. Say whatever you want about Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood, it was better received than Jackie Brown, his third movie a mere five years after his debut. It's all arbitrary. Good is good and Tarantino's still doing good work. And plenty of people from John Ford to Stanley Kubrick to Kon Ichikawa did great work literally right up until they went into the ground. It's his life and his career, he can and will do what he wants, but it's silly all the same.

Back