Quentin Tarantino vs Christopher Nolan

Nolan's movie draw something emotional out of me and every time I see them I'm blown away. It's like he has a very specific belief system within his movies and it comes out through his story telling.

Agree-- Nolan's films always have some deeper philosophical or emotional issue being explored.

Tarantino's films are fun, but they never really hit me in the feels. Often times his films will leave me satisfied, but the way he chooses to off some of his characters irks me. It almost feels as if their deaths are cheap and a lot more predictable compared to the rest of his writing quality.

I think what drags him down is that he found success making campy movies (which he is very good at), but they end up being shallow. That and the "Tarantino dialogue" has grown more stale with every movie he's made.

Agree-- Nolan's films always have some deeper philosophical or emotional issue being explored.

I think what drags him down is that he found success making campy movies (which he is very good at), but they end up shallow. That and the "Tarantino dialogue" has grown more stale with every movie he's made.

I don't think Tarantino aims dead center at 'drama' in his films so much as style. Saying he doesn't hit you in the 'feels' with his characters tells me that you went into a film of his with the wrong impression.

I don't think Tarantino aims dead center at 'drama' in his films so much as style. Saying he doesn't hit you in the 'feels' with his characters tells me that you went into a film of his with the wrong impression.

I've never gone into a Tarantino flick expecting high drama. But the question was "Trantino or Nolan", and the shallowness of Tarantino's movies is a factor.

I just love how he steps toward the camera twice.

Well that parts pretty good. I also like the part where he is pretending to be Italian. That part is hilarious.

The first few times I watched Inglorious Basterds I thought Pitt sucked, but he grew on me.

I can't separate them in terms of 'best' because I like their films for different reasons. But The Prestige is my favorite movie out of everything the pair of them have done, so I'll go against the grain and say Nolan.

I've never gone into a Tarantino flick expecting high drama. But the question was "Trantino or Nolan", and the shallowness of Tarantino's movies is a factor.

You're placing shallowness on something he doesn't intend to add depth to in his movies in the 1st place tho. Thats like saying Shawshank Redemption doesn't do it for you because it doesn't have enough comedy.

Your opinion of choosing Nolan over Tarantion is fine, I just think your reasoning is odd.

I haven't seen Memento and I'm told it's probably Nolan's best work.

Tarantino. I also haven't seen Memento though.

Memento is very good, and last time I check you can find the entire movie on youtube for free.

Imo Batman Begins and Memento are Nolan's best efforts. Inception was good, but not as good as it could have been. And for some reason it does NOT have much replay value....too many scenes are just not interesting on 2nd viewing.

Gotta go with Quentin because of Inglorious Basterds and Pulp Fiction. There is just a cool, effortless flow to his movies. And I dig his dialogue....I could watch most of his characters just shoot the shit and chit chat about random stuff for an entire movie.

Imo Batman Begins and Memento are Nolan's best efforts. Inception was good, but not as good as it could have been.

Check out The Prestige if you haven't seen it. I reckon it's better than anything else he's done, though I've liked pretty much every movie he's done.

Chistopher Nolan and it's not even close. The only movie that can compare to Nolan is Pulp Fiction.

Chistopher Nolan and it's not even close. The only movie that can compare to Nolan is Pulp Fiction.

tumblr_lbhigtooIm1qe0eclo1_r2_500.gif

4fcdf2e118613355b500ba5d.jpg

Am I the only one around here who realizes many of QT's movies all start the same way, at a fucking table!

Check out The Prestige if you haven't seen it. I reckon it's better than anything else he's done, though I've liked pretty much every movie he's done.

Yeah I forgot about The Prestige. I freakin love that movie. I haven't seen it in a couple of years, so I can't say it's his BEST. But from what I remember, it's definitely in his top 3. I need to watch it again, though.

The Prestige was the best magician film ever made. Crafty, and original.

Here's an article I wrote almost a year ago that would fit nicely in this thread. I'm sure the QT fanboys who buy all his hype, just as many of them did for Chuck Liddel right before he fought Quinton Rampage Jackon, will flame me.

People Praise Junk

Someone told me that one of the best opening scenes in any film was the table scene in 'Inglorious Bastards'. Do you consider that a great opening scene? From the top of my mind the opening scene of 'The Dark Knight' shows the unoriginality of the Inglorious Bastards opening blatantly as a glass of Merlot spilled on a white tuxedo.

In the film The Dark Knight, dialogue is shown through a course of events which pushes the story forward right off the bat. In Tarintinos scene our characters sit at a table with people underneath them. What many non-writers fail to see is that the latter scene is constructed from a Hitchcock writing tactic which is best described as 'Putting the bomb under the table'. Its direct approach being timid will have many claim the dialogue is what allows the scene to classify itself as an exception to the rule when it comes to opening scene expectations. No, we already saw men sitting at a table not doing much in his earlier film Reservoir Dogs. That's right, could this be recycled at all? Tarintino wasn't even brave enough to be creative about it, he took the concept of this Hitchcock tactic for his film Inglorious Bastards word for word like a presidential election bumper sticker and managed to stretch it into the excitement of a Saturday's Noon-to-Six algebra lecture. Now let's compare the motionless opening from Inglorious Bastards to that of The Dark Knight.

The Dark Knight has the ball rolling instantly after some shots of skyscrapers establishing the city environment. Our plot begins to unfold through a series of events, an element of creativity is thrown in as the villains execute one after another to receive a larger portion of the money pool until we remain with the last man standing. Abracadabra, like a prestige trick from David Copperfield, Ta-Da! The mask comes off and the Joker is revealed. The audience is buckled in for the ride; captivated and instantly hooked.

What your general audience seldom knows about the opening scene in The Dark Knight is that this too is another Hitchcock tactic. Remember the plane scene in 'North by Northwest'? The difference is the technique used wasn't so blatantly obvious. The Dark Knight opening scene was creatively written with an abundance of conflict that tied together organically to construct the films opening scene. Near the end of the scene we realize the man we had been watching in the mask was the Joker, he resembled the plane in North by Northwest all along!

Now back to the boring table scene. Do you remember it? It was nothing but men sitting at a table with many people beneath them that were hiding and hoping for freedom. I sometimes wonder if that opening scene would best be credited as a metaphor regarding the current state of affairs on the entertainment industry. Shoving all of the creativity into small confined spaces only to reign down with hellfire once the evil man at the table extorts what it wants from the artists willing to sacrifice their integrity. What ensues is unoriginality manufactured as ready-to-be-shipped final products.

As for the rest of the opening scene from Inglorious Bastards by Tarantino, its outcome is highly predictable which shows once more that the long drawn out dialogue serves as nothing but a 'new-era' style painting to his audience. The mouth breathers stare upon such scenes and think it's mesmerizing but similar to those with the trained eye of an artist they can see what it truly is, a desperate cover-up to pass the work off as artistic talent, or in this case more specifically, writing talent.

Here's an article I wrote almost a year ago that would fit nicely in this thread. I'm sure the QT fanboys who buy all his hype, just as many of them did for Chuck Liddel right before he fought Quinton Rampage Jackon, will flame me.

People Praise Junk

Someone told me that one of the best opening scenes in any film was the table scene in 'Inglorious Bastards'. Do you consider that a great opening scene? From the top of my mind the opening scene of 'The Dark Knight' shows the unoriginality of the Inglorious Bastards opening blatantly as a glass of Merlot spilled on a white tuxedo.

In the film The Dark Knight, dialogue is shown through a course of events which pushes the story forward right off the bat. In Tarintinos scene our characters sit at a table with people underneath them. What many non-writers fail to see is that the latter scene is constructed from a Hitchcock writing tactic which is best described as 'Putting the bomb under the table'. Its direct approach being timid will have many claim the dialogue is what allows the scene to classify itself as an exception to the rule when it comes to opening scene expectations. No, we already saw men sitting at a table not doing much in his earlier film Reservoir Dogs. That's right, could this be recycled at all? Tarintino wasn't even brave enough to be creative about it, he took the concept of this Hitchcock tactic for his film Inglorious Bastards word for word like a presidential election bumper sticker and managed to stretch it into the excitement of a Saturday's Noon-to-Six algebra lecture. Now let's compare the motionless opening from Inglorious Bastards to that of The Dark Knight.

The Dark Knight has the ball rolling instantly after some shots of skyscrapers establishing the city environment. Our plot begins to unfold through a series of events, an element of creativity is thrown in as the villains execute one after another to receive a larger portion of the money pool until we remain with the last man standing. Abracadabra, like a prestige trick from David Copperfield, Ta-Da! The mask comes off and the Joker is revealed. The audience is buckled in for the ride; captivated and instantly hooked.

What your general audience seldom knows about the opening scene in The Dark Knight is that this too is another Hitchcock tactic. Remember the plane scene in 'North by Northwest'? The difference is the technique used wasn't so blatantly obvious. The Dark Knight opening scene was creatively written with an abundance of conflict that tied together organically to construct the films opening scene. Near the end of the scene we realize the man we had been watching in the mask was the Joker, he resembled the plane in North by Northwest all along!

Now back to the boring table scene. Do you remember it? It was nothing but men sitting at a table with many people beneath them that were hiding and hoping for freedom. I sometimes wonder if that opening scene would best be credited as a metaphor regarding the current state of affairs on the entertainment industry. Shoving all of the creativity into small confined spaces only to reign down with hellfire once the evil man at the table extorts what it wants from the artists willing to sacrifice their integrity. What ensues is unoriginality manufactured as ready-to-be-shipped final products.

As for the rest of the opening scene from Inglorious Bastards by Tarantino, its outcome is highly predictable which shows once more that the long drawn out dialogue serves as nothing but a 'new-era' style painting to his audience. The mouth breathers stare upon such scenes and think it's mesmerizing but similar to those with the trained eye of an artist they can see what it truly is, a desperate cover-up to pass the work off as artistic talent, or in this case more specifically, writing talent.

Fire your editor.

tumblr_lbhigtooIm1qe0eclo1_r2_500.gif

People Praise Junk

No offense, it's cool that you like to write, as I myself love to write. But......HUH?

What do Aggamemnon's posts and QT's movies have in common?

They recycle all the same shit.

the-prestige-christian-bale-32490877-500-213.gif

People Praise Junk
Blah, blah, blah!
Question 1: Are you serious?
Question 2: Is English your first language?
Question 3: WTF!? Are you really serious?

Back