News Quemuel Ottoni explains ‘anxiety crisis’ led to last-minute cancellation of DWCS fight

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
Quemuel Ottoni has opened up on why he didn’t fight Kody Steele at Tuesday’s Dana White’s Contender Series in Las Vegas.

Ottoni was expected to co-headline the card opposite Steele at UFC APEX, but news broke minutes before the fight that the Brazilian lightweight had withdrawn from the fight due to personal reasons.

UFC CEO Dana White said on the broadcast that “sometimes you don’t have to actually get in the cage to realize, ‘This isn’t for me. I can’t handle the pressure. I don’t want to do this.’ This is what this is all about.” White announced that Steele will receive another opportunity on a future DWCS card.

Ottoni deleted most of the DWCS-related posts he had made during fight week from his Instagram page, and posted a video on Wednesday to address the situation.

“I ended up not fighting yesterday after really having an anxiety crisis, adrenaline, freezing a bit after seeing all that,” Ottoni said in Portuguese. “Watching it from the other side of the screen is one thing, but being there and seeing the cameras, cars, and even people you … There’s no excuse for what happened. I made weight. It was a struggle to gain back the weight, I felt sick on the way back [up in weight], but even that isn’t an excuse. I gained 8 kg. [17.6 pounds] with severe stomach pain, but that’s not why I didn’t fight. It was a mix of everything, the anxiety, seeing the camera, seeing the cutman doing my hands, people I’ve seen the most, and that’s it.”

I would never be able to make that walk. I'd be that guy in Gladiator with piss running down my legs- even if I was a -500 favorite.

I am very sure this kinda thing happens all of the time, but everybody else has the sense to lie about a physical illness.

Bro called some normal prefight nerves an “anxiety crisis”

9f9e565bfa51a1f0d30d55f147d7e9e6.jpg

It sucks but it's probably for the best if he just stepped away and found something else to do. He's turning 32 next month, has not fought in 2 years and pulled out of fights in the two biggest american orgs in that 2 year span.

Theres a lot of mental struggle to get in there

People ask me that know Ive fought before how do you control your nerves?

I tell them its a very weird thing, having a scheduled bout. It’s nothing like a real fight where usually something happens, and immediately triggers you, and your overwhelming anger fuels your fighting rage

Nothing is triggering your rage on fight day, hell you may even wake up that day not even really feeling like a fight

So say you have a fight in a month or two and you start yo prepare for it. There will be days leading up to the fight where you feel “on-point” and then there will be days you wake up sore and just “off” and are glad the fight isn’t taking place on that particular day.

Finding that balance and being successful is a trait combat athletes must harness

4 straight pull outs?? I think Pereia might of put a curse on him

dude was walking though Alex's punches like they were nothing but is scared of a wrestler?

<EdgyBrah>

Theres a lot of mental struggle to get in there

People ask me that know Ive fought before how do you control your nerves?

I tell them its a very weird thing, having a scheduled bout. It’s nothing like a real fight where usually something happens, and immediately triggers you, and your overwhelming anger fuels your fighting rage

Nothing is triggering your rage on fight day, hell you may even wake up that day not even really feeling like a fight

So say you have a fight in a month or two and you start yo prepare for it. There will be days leading up to the fight where you feel “on-point” and then there will be days you wake up sore and just “off” and are glad the fight isn’t taking place on that particular day.

Finding that balance and being successful is a trait combat athletes must harness

The nerves/anxiety hitting while in the warm up room/locker room are tough. Making the walk to the cage/ring so far all those feelings go away for me but the wait to make the walk can be brutal. I’m sure at the highest levels it gets even more tough

I wonder how many guys would be way better without the nerves and fought behind the scenes. One of the reasons Conor did so well is when he got to the cage he embraced the moment and just had no anxiety.

It was his 1st fight at lightweight too so if he had any worries about the fight it's probably best he pulled out.

Back