Purple is the new blue.

Just curious, but why the rush to blue?

You know I have no rational answer to that. But with my wife having cancer problems I have a sense of urgency I suppose. Ego wise I hate being a white belt.

Edit: Now that I think about it having taken mma for almost a year and having gotten nowhere in the ground game is urging me to catch up now that I'm in a good training situation.

NO!!!!

a purple is a purple and will always be a purple and never considered a blue!!!!

the only thing that has changed is the denominator of people training.

all belts are subjective by whoever is above them.

go train and earn your purple

oh yeah a gordoplata you suck
:)

Time goes by, people get promoted.

And there's a difference between a n00b blue (I guess that's me) and an experienced on the verge of purple-blue.

the standard is higher in brasil- making it easier it less time to earn it

yer im a blue and want my purple cos im embrassed at some of the crappy blue belts i ve seen -- and i know im a lot better than they are

the standard is higher in brasil- making it easier it less time to earn it

yer im a blue and want my purple cos im embrassed at some of the crappy blue belts i ve seen -- and i know im a lot better than they are

Wait - the standard is higher so it makes it easier to get it in less time?

That doesnt make much sense....?

I've seen several crappy blue belts from Brazil. And several excellent blue belts from Brazil. They aren't supermen down there.

usually a blue belt is not a big deal in brasil so they give it out quicker. But you stay at blue longer in brasil also... That being said... I think that GENERALLY brasilians train more days per week than americans and they tend to be more flexible. Also, in most brasilian schools the colored belts usually outnumber white belts while in the us most of the schools are filled with whites and low blues. I think that being exposed to high lvl technique and movement helps their development..

I've seen several crappy blue belts from Brazil. And several excellent blue belts from Brazil. They aren't supermen down there.

I've seen pruples from Brazil that generally seemed more like good blues.

It just seems to me like these days everybody and their mom has a bluebelt. Like, "okay, you've done X number of classes, here you go..." The bluebelt therefore does not seem to signify, at least to me, what it used to. Purple now seems to be the point at which someone can safely be considered dangerous.

I guess I just see a lot of what seem to be lousy blues. They seem like whitebelts a lot of the time. I'm sure, too, it is my own perspective changing. But it is true that because of the growing popularity of the sport the bluebelt ranks have swelled tremendously. Soon enough, we'll have a huge pool of purples.

I am so close to that blue I can almost taste it. I have been training for about 8 months but am still a couple of months away. What messed me up in an MCL injury which required surgery about a month ago but now I am in training and competing already.

My goal is that blue because white makes you look like a wimp. Then I want purple..etc etc.

BTW .. Brazilians aren't more flexible. I'm Brazilian and so is my instructor and were both not even close to being able to do a split.. etc. Brazilians don't have any special abilities that the rest of us don't have which makes them more apt to BJJ. I think they just have more free time to train. Work is an afterthought in Brazil. Most everything else comes first.

Work is an afterthought in Brazil. Most everything else comes first.

I think of all the nations in the world, the US is the one that works the most. So, yeah...

Wait - the standard is higher so it makes it easier to get it in less time?

That doesnt make much sense....?

higher level= less time to get a blue belt

in brazil ur rolling with loads of blacks, browns and purples not just like elsewhere ---were u onli have other white belts to fight

i kno -- i ve been to brasil and there white belts are tough

usually a blue belt is not a big deal in brasil so they give it out quicker. But you stay at blue longer in brasil also... That being said... I think that GENERALLY brasilians train more days per week than americans and they tend to be more flexible. Also, in most brasilian schools the colored belts usually outnumber white belts while in the us most of the schools are filled with whites and low blues. I think that being exposed to high lvl technique and movement helps their development..

my point exactly

I think of all the nations in the world, the US is the one that works the most. So, yeah...

I can't stand it when people rant on about how superior they are listing their countries acheivements as if it were their own.

You should stand on your own acheivements and not say my x country has the largest GDP (or whatever statistic you care to use) to prove your own superiority, when in reality they have probably done f**k all.

Yodaman im not trying to insult you or say that you haven't acheived anything in life. There are many seemingly smart people who do the same thing, I just don't like it when people say stuff like that. Rampent nationalism can lead to rascism. Its plain to see what rascism has done and is currently doing in the world.

Back