Protein Shakes..Pros & Cons??

Cnyle33

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to know if taking protein shakes could cause me to gain more body fat, i know it should be takin b4 and after each workout, but i dont know how much of a workout i should do (that makes sense to me). ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT APPRECIATED.

P.S. im doing this for BJJ im hoping to put on some muscle. Im 6" and 170 (skinny). Hopefully you guys could give me some good ab/leg workouts (i was told those are very crucial in bjj). THANKS.

If its possible i would like to know how much i should take and what i should take it with. Im a total newb, sorry.

eat 1gm protein/lb body weight every day. So, eat 170gm protein a day, in 3 or more meals. Make sure you do at leats basic weight training, hitting the major exercises like bench presses, squats or deadlifts, pullups.

Getting protein from a shake or from food doesn't really matter too much except for your post workout meal. It is thought that taking a quickly absorbed whey shake after a workout will limit catabolic reactions (muscle damage/muscle loss for fuel) and allow anabolic (growth) processes to engage faster.

You don't have to supplement with protein shakes to get fine gains, but for the post workout meal, it is worth considering.

Error on the side of excess with protein. So 1gram/lb is good. I definitely recommend Squat and DL, they are great for core strength which is important in all sports, but I don't know what level you are at. You may want to perfom a body weight routine and/or GPP. Do some research on eating and lifting so you know what questions to ask or maybe find the answers before you ask.

I recommend you repost this in the supp forum. Some people who really know about supps post there. Also this has been covered extensively. I think you should just do a search there and you will find out about protein doesage, differences between the brands, and differences between the different kinds (hydrosolate, isolate etc..).

Any excess calories that you're not burning off will lead to fat. However, if you don't have enough protein in your diet, muscle growth is slowed down.

(Also, 6 foot = 6'. Saying that you're 6" makes it sound like, er um... something else.)

Pros: Building up of muscle tissue, reduced soreness from workouts
Cons: Sulfurous fumes emanating from your sphincter

Jay M. said:

rofl, thanks for the help guys, im just gonna google it and see what i can find.

Jay M. said:

Quoted for truth.

im eating steak right now and i just had one of the greatest workouts of my adult life

Protein shakes are not necessary unless you are a mega-protein hog. Some people I know just can't stand to eat enough meat, etc. to get 1g/lb. bw. Personally, if I had the money, I could eat steak all day long. :)

Jay M. said:
Protein shakes are not necessary unless you are a mega-protein hog. Some people I know just can't stand to eat enough meat, etc. to get 1g/lb. bw. Personally, if I had the money, I could eat steak all day long. :)

yah steak fuckin' expensive. Protein powder cheaper in the long run.

lol who wrote eat 1gm of protein per lbs.
dude bump it up to 1.5-2.0gm per lbs unless you're on a strict diet for a weight class. how do you expect to grow on maintence intake.?

Jay M. said:
lol, so true.

Jay M. said:

You might have to experiment with different ones due to this and sometimes more then just fumes.

Protein shakes are a big can of ripoff with a fancy name and a pretty label.

For one, no one needs the amount of protein that one of those things offers. Even for powerlifters, the maximum amount of protein you need is 15% of your total caloric intake. The body has its own mind about how much protein it's going to use to build up your muscles; as long as you pull in enough protein, you won't have a problem. It does not reduce soreness, as an excess of protein is simply converted to fat.

What does give you a problem is an excessive amount of protein. For one, it slows down the digestive process. Also, the body has no problem changing excess fat or carbohydrates into body fat, as they're all made of exactly the same thing, but, since protein has one thing fat and carbohydrates don't, nitrogen, that must be stripped off and expelled from the system before it can be stored. That nitrogen comes out through your sweat, urine, and breath.

This process wears down your kidneys faster than usual also, because the kidneys have to process the nitrogen before it gets to your sweat glands, et cetera. Wearing down your kidneys is very bad; they are an emergency anti-poison system and not designed for regular use. Ever hear of medical weight loss clinics? They use an Atkins-esque diet where protein is substitued for carbs, but they have to monitor you closely, because if your nitrogen levels get too high...well, you die, in the worst case scenario.

On top of all that, if you pull in too many calories, it will just make you flabby.

Now for the "advanced protein" garbage. Protein is made of four simple things: carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen. Proteins are divided into two simple categories: essential and nonessential. Essential proteins are those the body cannot manufacture by itself and must be ingested to ensure the highest functionality; nonessential proteins can be made by the body. Essential proteins can be found in any meat products. This is all your body needs and uses. Anyone telling you they have made a "new, high-tech protein" is just telling you about all the little protein chain types that you're already eating, but just didn't know the names of.

Most shakes will also load you up with an excess of vitamins, claiming higher energy levels and a bunch of other filth. With all the vitamins apart from A, D, E, and K, if you overingest them, they leave through your urine. These are the water-soluble vitamins, the ones that dissolve in water. There are some cases in which you can overdose on them, but it's generally very difficult. However, for A, D, E, and K, pulling in more than 100% of the Daily Value slowly causes you to overdose, as these are fat-soluble vitamins, and stay in your fat until the fat goes or until you use them. Keep that in mind.

Also, absolutely NO supplement has been evaluated by the FDA. What that means is they can put absolutely anything they want in these things and they don't have to be truthful about what they do to you. They could put powdered cow tongue in the bottle and tell you it'll make your muscles grow to twice their normal size in two months. So, with whatever supplement you get, make sure you trust the company.

Want a great, cheap, maximum-effectiveness protein shake? Go down to your local grocery or supermarket, and pick up dry milk. Make a shake out of it. The end.

Eclypse said:
For one, no one needs the amount of protein that one of those things offers. Even for powerlifters, the maximum amount of protein you need is 15% of your total caloric intake.

You state this as a fact. Any reference to cite?

Just about every stength training article I have read advocates .5 to 1.5 gm protein/lb of bodyweight, which will usually call for an excess of the 15% of total caloric intake you specify.

peregrine said:
lol who wrote eat 1gm of protein per lbs.
dude bump it up to 1.5-2.0gm per lbs unless you're on a strict diet for a weight class. how do you expect to grow on maintence intake.?

Peregrine, are you talking lbs or kilos?

1g/lb will do fine for a building phase.

2-3g/lb is just flat-out too much.

Madmick said:
Peregrine, are you talking lbs or kilos?

1g/lb will do fine for a building phase.

2-3g/lb is just flat-out too much.

huh?
i am talking about building heaps of lean muscle tissue. 1gm of protein per lbs of bodyweight a day is for kids and people who do not do strength training or are athletic.

the standard should atleast be 1.5gm per lbs of bodyweight. 2-3gm if your training is enhanced.

edit- again who is saying this is too much? scientists? who? a lot of lifters intake 400-600gm of protein per day.

peregrine said:
huh?
i am talking about building heaps of lean muscle tissue. 1gm of protein per lbs of bodyweight a day is for kids and people who do not do strength training or are athletic.

the standard should atleast be 1.5gm per lbs of bodyweight. 2-3gm if your training is enhanced.

edit- again who is saying this is too much? scientists? who? a lot of lifters intake 400-600gm of protein per day.

A lot of lifters roid. For one, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition recommends something like 0.7g/lb for non-athletes.

Who have you read who advocates 3g/lb? I've never seen any reputable author with a degree in anything write that except maybe Atkins, and he was selling a shortcut because people love to buy those- even though they never work in the long run.

Back