Professional Gaming is in Madison Square Garden, MMA still has a long way to go...

Zn4L9aJ.jpg

eg.fear (the guy that won 6 mil with his team)

Why is he presenting his schlong?

Yep and most Americans are fat.

He's an outlier has nothing to do with his ranking. It's as related to his physique. I doubt most players look like him

13003-fnatic_big.jpg

Most pro players are actually too skinny, not fat. The fat guys you think of are the WOW basement dwellers, which you can't competitively play. Don't make baseless assumptions unless you've actually followed something.

I've got over 2200 hours in DOTA2, but I'll never understand why anyone would want to watch someone else play.

I've got over 2200 hours in DOTA2, but I'll never understand why anyone would want to watch someone else play.

Same reason why people will pay to watch two girls with ~2.5 years experience bar room brawl for 3 rounds with their eyes closed. Some people like it.

Baseball is fun to play, but I don't get why you would watch such a slow ass sport with no real action.

E-sports is huge worldwide, something MMA isn't still.

Not to mention, the free to play model that games like LoL implement also allows their popularity so sky rocket.

Pro gaming is fun to watch is you're into the game. It'll never have the adrenaline rush something like MMA does, but it's still fun to watch. People can relate to it more than they can relate to a sport like MMA or boxing in most cases.

Baseball is fun to play, but I don't get why you would watch such a slow ass sport with no real action.

agreed, but the difference between sports and video games is it's much harder to go find a bunch of people and play baseball, while I can log on to dota anytime I want.

E-sports is huge worldwide, something MMA isn't still.

Not to mention, the free to play model that games like LoL implement also allows their popularity so sky rocket.

Pro gaming is fun to watch is you're into the game. It'll never have the adrenaline rush something like MMA does, but it's still fun to watch. People can relate to it more than they can relate to a sport like MMA or boxing in most cases.

video games are more popular as a spectator sport than MMA? I'd wager that is not true. Where would you even go to watch gaming if you for some reason wanted to? G4 tried to show it and it drove them into having to sale off their assets.

Maybe world wide the numbers could be higher, I severaly doubt it but lets say it was, that still means nothing*. MMA is on multiple major networks plus PPVs in areas where viewers actually matter.

*Hercules the legendary journeys had more viewers than Seinfeld, which was more successful?

video games are more popular as a spectator sport than MMA? I'd wager that is not true. Where would you even go to watch gaming if you for some reason wanted to? G4 tried to show it and it drove them into having to sale off their assets.

Maybe world wide the numbers could be higher, I severaly doubt it but lets say it was, that still means nothing*. MMA is on multiple major networks plus PPVs in areas where viewers actually matter.

*Hercules the legendary journeys had more viewers than Seinfeld, which was more successful?

You really don't know how big e-sports are, do you?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/19/5123724/league-of-legends-world-championship-32-million-viewers

And most e-gaming is shown through streaming sites. Like Twitch.TV.

http://www.twitch.tv/riotgames

The European LCS finals for LoL are being watched by almost 500,000 people right now.

agreed, but the difference between sports and video games is it's much harder to go find a bunch of people and play baseball, while I can log on to dota anytime I want.

I guess I like watching because unlike sports, you don't have a real mentor or coach. You have to watch and try to emulate the pros or the "meta" to get better. I was around 3.5k mmr when I first started? My mmr improved to 4.5k after watching some pro events because I learned how to ward effectively, split push, or how to play a hero more efficiently. There's only so much you can do by "self-practicing" akin to trying to just shoot a basketball all day and not having a coach teach you proper mechanics and plays.

League is fucking huge.

MMA does have a long way to go to meet the fanbase of League or E-Sports in general.

But so do many, many other sports.

that would be valid if the reason MMA had never been in Madison Square Garden was because it couldn't make enough money to justify an event. But since it was based on the state not licensing them due to politics with the Fertittas, it's not valid at all.

Mma is illegal in NY

You really don't know how big e-sports are, do you?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/19/5123724/league-of-legends-world-championship-32-million-viewers

And most e-gaming is shown through streaming sites. Like Twitch.TV.

http://www.twitch.tv/riotgames

The European LCS finals for LoL are being watched by almost 500,000 people right now.

You think that's a lot? You think that's bigger than just the UFC being on Fox and PPVs in the US and ESPN worldwide?

500,000 world wide is nothing, people on Youtube have many many times that number of viewers. Any show would get canceled in the first week, and everyone who supported it would likely be fired if the viewership was 500K world wide.

You think that's a lot? You think that's bigger than just the UFC being on Fox and PPVs in the US and ESPN worldwide?

500,000 world wide is nothing, people on Youtube have many many times that number of viewers. Any show would get canceled in the first week, and everyone who supported it would likely be fired if the viewership was 500K world wide.

This is a qualifier tournament for the finals. Not the actual finals. You seem to have missed the article I posted where 32 million people tuned into for LoL finals. So, you're not even fully engaging the info I showed you.

And for the record, e-sports and their results are shown on ESPN. The DOTA 2 finals received a decent amount of coverage from them.

You really don't seem to have a clue about this.

Posts earlier in the thread showcase how viewers for the League LCS finals were significantly more than the NBA finals

still doubts more people watch who e sports than MMA, a sport which in comparison to the likes of the NBA might as well be womans field hockey in terms of viewers

this isnt that hard buddy....

This is a qualifier tournament for the finals. Not the actual finals. You seem to have missed the article I posted where 32 million people tuned into for LoL finals. So, you're not even fully engaging the info I showed you.

And for the record, e-sports and their results are shown on ESPN. The DOTA 2 finals received a decent amount of coverage from them.

You really don't seem to have a clue about this.

I have never in my life seen "e-sports" on television outside of G4 which quickly realized supporting it was stupid and quit covering it right away. I see MMA quite a lot just by flipping through the channels. ESPN might rarely mention the existence of professional gaming but it's not even close to as big as MMA.

But anyway I think it's stupid as hell despite being a gamer myself, but if you like it go ahead and watch it.

I have no idea who you are talking about, but what you just said makes him an outlier by definition

a person or thing situated away or detached from the main body or system.

I thought you were referring to him as an outlier as in not being a top tier pro, not referring to his physique not being the norm.

And he is on a five man team, all of which work out regularly together, and are all in shape. It is a sport that doesnt rely on pure athletic ability. so pointing out that not everyone is in peak physical shape is sort of retarded imo.

Back