Professional Gaming is in Madison Square Garden, MMA still has a long way to go...

Posts earlier in the thread showcase how viewers for the League LCS finals were significantly more than the NBA finals

still doubts more people watch who e sports than MMA, a sport which in comparison to the likes of the NBA might as well be womans field hockey in terms of viewers

this isnt that hard buddy....

Are you fucking kidding me? The NBA is a multiple billion dollar organization. Lebron is a world wide celebrity, no one knows a single professional gamer. This is getting absurd.

I have never in my life seen "e-sports" on television outside of G4 which quickly realized supporting it was stupid and quit covering it right away. I see MMA quite a lot just by flipping through the channels. ESPN might rarely mention the existence of professional gaming but it's not even close to as big as MMA.

But anyway I think it's stupid as hell despite being a gamer myself, but if you like it go ahead and watch it.

Hello grandpa, and welcome to the year 2015. You see, a lot has changed since the end of the cold war era. TV stations are seeing a steady decline in viewers, and advertisers now consider online marketing as the main source of advertising in reaching their core audience. In addition, most people are getting their news primarily from the internet, opposed to watching television programs. If you'd like, I can help you set up your wi fi later, and explain the benefits of email over traditional postage.

Are you fucking kidding me? The NBA is a multiple billion dollar organization. Lebron is a world wide celebrity, no one knows a single professional gamer. This is getting absurd.

You seem to have a hard time reading, so let me state it again, as its FACT not what you find hard to believe.

MORE PEOPLE WATCHED THE LCS FINALS THAN THE NBA FINALS LAST YEAR

ok, lets try it one more time.

this isnt debatable. ITS PURE FACT.

anything else?

I have never in my life seen "e-sports" on television outside of G4 which quickly realized supporting it was stupid and quit covering it right away. I see MMA quite a lot just by flipping through the channels. ESPN might rarely mention the existence of professional gaming but it's not even close to as big as MMA.

But anyway I think it's stupid as hell despite being a gamer myself, but if you like it go ahead and watch it.

Then you live under a rock. E-sports is one of the quickest growing "sports" in the world.

I'll take this as your admission you have no idea what you were talking about.

And funny thing about ESPN. They showed the DOTA 2 highlights with the UFC ones from the Glover card.

E-Sports are bigger than MMA is right now. That's a fact. Just because you don't "see it" doesn't make you correct.

huge if true

which it isn't

Video game tournament in Sweden. As much people as a UFC small event.

CS-GO-at-ESL-One-Cologne.jpg

Hello grandpa, and welcome to the year 2015. You see, a lot has changed since the end of the cold war era. TV stations are seeing a steady decline, and advertisers now consider online marketing as the main source of advertising in reaching their core audience. In addition, most people are getting their news primarily from the internet, opposed to watching television programs. If you'd like, I can help you set up your wi fi later, and explain the benefits of email over traditional postage.

but the internet is not where major sports are being shown is it? Not NBA, NFL, Soccer, Boxing... pretty much any sport that anyone care the slightest bit about is on TC. It's because of a little thing called money. See most people like money and television is still where money comes from. Whether it be from PPV or commercials it's that's where the real money comes from. That's why all major sports are still on television.

but the internet is not where major sports are being shown is it? Not NBA, NFL, Soccer, Boxing... pretty much any sport that anyone care the slightest bit about is on TC. It's because of a little thing called money. See most people like money and television is still where money comes from. Whether it be from PPV or commercials it's that's where the real money comes from. That's why all major sports are still on television.

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-buys-twitch-2014-8

Amazon bought Twitch.tv, the most prominent game streaming site, for just under a billion dollars.

What was that about money?

EDIT:

Pardon me, more than a billion.

http://recode.net/2014/08/25/amazon-will-buy-twitch-for-more-than-1-billion/

Tbf it's debatable.

Some Tvs have internet connection, things like netflix get popular, people watch movies and sports online both legally and illegally and everything goes over the internet.
Considering how the line between TV and internet is blurring it's debatable.

I know a ton of people who rarely watch TV and watch everything on the internet some legally and some illegally so obviously TV companies will also change/have changed to make money on the internet you can#t really say that Tv is where money comes from.

You can make a ton of money just on YT for example

advertising works more or less the same in live streams as it does on tv. All advertisers care about is the # of viewers. PPV is a fight sports thing, and really isnt applicable to e sports.

streamers make a ton of money streaming.

Also, I know a lot of people who don't even pay for TV anymore because they can just do everything online.

I don't watch gaming or get into the whole "pro gaming" stuff, but more people watched a video game tournament than the NBA finals. Whether it's on the internet or TV is irrelevant, viewers are viewers. Nobody is saying that any of these pro gamers are Lebron James, but it's certainly a much bigger industry than you're giving it credit for.

Also, the internet is the present and future of advertising revenue. Notice how tons of companies are starting to switch over to the digital age, like HBO and Netflix, etc. ? It's only going to get bigger.

You seem to have a hard time reading, so let me state it again, as its FACT not what you find hard to believe.

ok, lets try it one more time.

this isnt debatable. ITS PURE FACT.

anything else?

Is it a fact? Or are you compaing US only numbers for the NBA finals vs world wide numbers for LCS?

I don't watch gaming or get into the whole "pro gaming" stuff, but more people watched a video game tournament than the NBA finals. Whether it's on the internet or TV is irrelevant, viewers are viewers. Nobody is saying that any of these pro gamers are Lebron James, but it's certainly a much bigger industry than you're giving it credit for.

Yes, and nobody is debating the power of the NBA or NFL from a merchandising stand point. The NBA in apparel alone is another multi billion dollar industry. People need to also consider how young esports is in comparison to these established sports, some of which have been around for over 100 years. Riot is a billion dollar software company, and probably never in a million years thought it would transition into a world wide sporting organization. Give them some time to catch up with the madness :)

Is it a fact? Or are you compaing US only numbers for the NBA finals vs world wide numbers for LCS?

Give it up.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Your original point, that MMA was bigger than E-gaming, was completely demolished.

Before you keep making yourself look like an uninformed ass on this matter, go learn a bit about e-sports in general.

advertising works more or less the same in live streams as it does on tv. All advertisers care about is the # of viewers. PPV is a fight sports thing, and really isnt applicable to e sports.

no it is no way just the number of people viewing something. they care very much about the demographic of the person viewing it. Advertisers only care about people they assume have enough disposable income to buy their products.

no it is no way just the number of people viewing something. they care very much about the demographic of the person viewing it. Advertisers only care about people they assume have enough disposable income to buy their products.

I fail to see the point? The majority of e sports demographic is males age 21-35. Are you implying your average football fan has more disposable income than your average computer enthusiast, ages 21-35? I think you are in for some rude awakenings. And dont even get me started on your average MMA fan....

That's US only. I'm sure more people Watched the NBA finals in the rest of the world than the United States alone. Plus, The finals went to 6 games. The other dude keeps saying more people watched the game tourney than the NBA finals. You know the NBA finals isn't 1 game right? Add the numbers of United States viewers if the finals with the Asian, European and the rest of the world.... For 6....six....games, not one. You will find that that huge gaming tournament that nobody heard about was microscopic compared to the NBA finals.

Give it up.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Your original point, that MMA was bigger than E-gaming, was completely demolished.

Before you keep making yourself look like an uninformed ass on this matter, go learn a bit about e-sports in general.

How was it demolished? E-gaming has never been mainstream, MMA is. Top MMA champions are celebrities, no one would even recognize whoever the best E-gamer is. I looked it up the best gamer makes $400K per year, MMA champions make way more. UFC is a household name, no one knows the name of whatever the top gaming league is. MMA is talked about way more in major sports media.

I don't see how video gamer players are bigger?

Back