• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Prime BJ Penn vs Khabib

Who wins

• Total voters
IIRC, I had BJ winning the 1st Rd vs Gomi, then realistically losing the 2nd Rd & the momentum (with Gomi stuffind TDs and connecting with jabz).. Then BJ took him down pretty quickly in the 3rd and got the RNC

Gomi is also known to get very tired throughout his career, more of a physical thing from throwing so many power shots where BJ's was more of a mental thing about feeling in control similar to Conor and Rumble. BJ also tends to wear down more when he is losing grappling exchanges and in the Gomi fight he won the majority of the grappling exchanges

Gomi won the second imo as well but the end of the second round maybe a minute or so was controlled by BJ, landing jabs and left hooks and finished with a takedown because Gomi had exhausted himself over the course of the round and did not have much left in the 3rd.

This was the exception to the majority of BJ's long fights where he wasn't dominant which generally saw his opponents take over more and more as the fight went on (Pulver, GSP x2, Hughes, Edgar x2, Diaz, Fitch)

Gomi is also known to get very tired throughout his career, more of a physical thing from throwing so many power shots where BJ's was more of a mental thing about feeling in control similar to Conor and Rumble. BJ also tends to wear down more when he is losing grappling exchanges and in the Gomi fight he won the majority of the grappling exchanges

Gomi won the second imo as well but the end of the second round maybe a minute or so was controlled by BJ, landing jabs and left hooks and finished with a takedown because Gomi had exhausted himself over the course of the round and did not have much left in the 3rd.

This was the exception to the majority of BJ's long fights where he wasn't dominant which generally saw his opponents take over more and more as the fight went on (Pulver, GSP x2, Hughes, Edgar x2, Diaz, Fitch)
Ah, different memory... IIRC BJ was actually the one gassin´ in the 2nd after so many TDs stuffed...
The momentum had clearly shifted imo

If GSP had less explosive takedowns and worse striking then he would have lost to BJ. I just don't see how Khabib could have possibly beat BJ in his prime.

Clearly you didn't

that was easily the worst BJ Penn we've ever seen

Even during the first one, that really wasn't him at his best.

I would argue that Frankie didn't allow him to look any better.

Conor didn't look great against Khabib. Was he far below his best or was his style and strengths simply shut down by the winning fighter?

Anyone with elite wrestling and boxing is a tough fight for Khabib, be it GSP or BJ Penn. Personally, I'd bet on Khabib via outlasting and outbullying Penn to a decision due to the relentless pressure and pace Khabib sets, but I'm surprised how many people voted for Khabib, I thought BJ would be winning the poll.

Oh he was hurt for sure.
But he got hurt because he gassed ... and vasaline.
Not a GSP fan, but the Vaseline thing was overblown. Same thing with Anderson when he rubbed it on his chest. And same thing when Akiyama did it.

I would argue that Frankie didn't allow him to look any better.

Conor didn't look great against Khabib. Was he far below his best or was his style and strengths simply shut down by the winning fighter?
Again. There's literally no way anyone can objectively look at that 2nd fight with Penn, his energy, body language, overall performance and think that was anywhere near the best penn.

You need to dig a little deeper my man, when someone is truly "on" you just know. It is written all over their souls. BJ has been hit or miss throughout his career in that sense but when he was on his A game, you just knew. There was a certain aura, vibe In the air.

With Conor I tend to think It was a combination of both.

Anyone with elite wrestling and boxing is a tough fight for Khabib, be it GSP or BJ Penn. Personally, I'd bet on Khabib via outlasting and outbullying Penn to a decision due to the relentless pressure and pace Khabib sets, but I'm surprised how many people voted for Khabib, I thought BJ would be winning the poll.
I disagree, but I appreciate how this is not a one sided fight either. It certainly could go down like you describe.

It looks like the second GSP fight, but not as bad and more competitive.

Dont be ridiculous.

And from your post I can tell that ya didnt watch the Gomi fight. Nothing to do with the Khabib match-up, Im afraid
What did I say that was ridiculous?

Gomi fights nothing like Khabib, he doesnt use pace and pressure as a weapon, which is a big weakness of Penn. Its ridiculous that you bring up the Gomi fight as a comparison to how Penn vs Khabib would play out.

BJ is a great technical fighter but he lacks certain intangibles to compete with the likes of Khabib or even Tony.

What did I say that was ridiculous?

Gomi fights nothing like Khabib, he doesnt use pace and pressure as a weapon, which is a big weakness of Penn. Its ridiculous that you bring up the Gomi fight as a comparison to how Penn vs Khabib would play out.

BJ is a great technical fighter but he lacks certain intangibles to compete with the likes of Khabib or even Tony.
Ridiculous coz Im not talkin´about this specific match-up.
Im talkin´about your initial claim that BJ´s a quitter.

I've seen plenty of his fights, he's a quitter. He quit against GSP, Diaz, Edgar and non of them put pressure like Khabib. Penn and Conor are cut from the same cloth, it's all downhill for Penn once khabib breaks his will after the first round. Just lol@khabib who is undefeated losing to a guy that has quit in multiple fights.

BJ Penn has the body of a FW and he still pushed himself and was fighting guys like these...

upload_2018-12-5_14-22-34.jpeg

upload_2018-12-5_14-18-0.png

upload_2018-12-5_14-19-2.jpeg

upload_2018-12-5_14-20-51.jpeg

upload_2018-12-5_14-21-30.jpeg

Khabib is really a WW, who cuts down to LW.

Khabib Nurmagomedov Takes Full Blame For Weight Cut Debacle

Khabib Nurmagomedov reveals he suffered seizures the night before bout
as he pushed his body to its limits to make weight

Again. There's literally no way anyone can objectively look at that 2nd fight with Penn, his energy, body language, overall performance and think that was anywhere near the best penn.

You need to dig a little deeper my man, when someone is truly "on" you just know. It is written all over their souls. BJ has been hit or miss throughout his career in that sense but when he was on his A game, you just knew. There was a certain aura, vibe In the air.

With Conor I tend to think It was a combination of both.

I actually laughed reading this. So you're argument is based of his aura, and a vibe in the air, and by "just knowing". Let me guess, the times he was "on" coincides with the times he won. And the times he doesn't look "on", or that vibe isn't in the air, he loses? Nothing to do with the opponent, nope...... that vibe just wasn't there, it's obvious...written all over his soul. HIS SOUL. God please make more of these posts.

Watch Penn vs Hughes 1, GSP 1, Sherk, Diego, etc.

Penn was absolutely a wrestler killer in his prime. Very hard to take down, hit hard on the feet and just sliced through people's guards like butter.

His last like 5 years have really made people forget how much of a monster he was in his prime.

I actually laughed reading this. So you're argument is based of his aura, and a vibe in the air, and by "just knowing". Let me guess, the times he was "on" coincides with the times he won. And the times he doesn't look "on", or that vibe isn't in the air, he loses? Nothing to do with the opponent, nope...... that vibe just wasn't there, it's obvious...written all over his soul. HIS SOUL. God please make more of these posts.
well, I should expect such a response from a small minded person.

Perhaps It's easy to take out of context, the reality Is that I simply try to look at the bigger picture and use every tool at my disposal to do so. You'll often see career gamblers pay a great deal of attention to things like body language, energy, vibe and things of that nature. It's a massive factor, whether you're aware of It or not. You can definitely tell when a fighter Is truly "on" and this is seen as much In the leadup, walkouts as the fight itself. Technical performance Is another element too as I already mentioned.

With BJ obviously edgar was a stylistically difficult opponent for him, but It seems like It was a combination
of factors more than just the stylistic matchup. I actually meant to edit that Into the post for the sake of balance

For whatever reason though, It's clear Penn wasn't at his best. Which has been a common theme throughout his career, which BJ is going to show up. This is indisputably undeniable for the 2nd fight

Some can read situations / people better than others I suppose, not everything as black and white as your mind seems to believe

There are levels to this ;)

Watch Penn vs Hughes 1, GSP 1, Sherk, Diego, etc.

Penn was absolutely a wrestler killer in his prime. Very hard to take down, hit hard on the feet and just sliced through people's guards like butter.

His last like 5 years have really made people forget how much of a monster he was in his prime.

that and the fact that he spent most of his career fighting Welterweights when he was pretty much an average sized featherweight In the modern era.

Had BJ actually fought at his real weightclass for his entire career, he'd likely have gone undefeated all through his prime.

In the 2nd GSP fight, I just knew things were going to go badly right after I saw this happen...

upload_2018-12-5_15-27-6.jpeg

Back