pride vs ufc

well, my point was that ridiculous matchups happen for the sake of keeping the game going, and we should accept the bad with the good, if the bad helps pay to keep giving us more good. i accept Chael v Jones. it's ridiculous, but Fox needs ROI on their $100m/yr. just like i accepted Giant Silva, which was catering to some specific Japanese markets.

but to suggest Chael v Jones is somewhat legit....meh, let's just agree to disagree. i think it's NOT, and yet accept it at face value. if it pays for the rest of the free MMA i get, i will watch it twice.

but boy, we sure strayed from the topic. Pride was awesome :) and TS should compare the 2000 GP to UFC 24, not UFC 100. and THEN complain that watching Coleman destroy wasn't nearly as good as epic UFC battles like Lance Gibson v Jermaine Andre, Shonie Carter v Brad Gumm and Scott Adams v Ian Freeman :)
Jones vs. Sonnen is crap. It's still a level above Wanderlei vs Iwasaki and Fedor vs Zulu.

Jones vs. Sonnen is crap. It's still a level above Wanderlei vs Iwasaki and Fedor vs Zulu.

we're on the same page; no need to dicker over subtleties. cheers.

regardless, we both know that if TS was watching Live when Randleman slammed Fedor and Rampage slammed Arona in the same damn night, he wouldn't be making this thread. regardless of the obvious Okami gift of walking into the semi's by fighting Giant Silva :)

Last edited:
Lot of people just said pride was better because UFC was mainstream er and had lots of new fans with tuf, but I'll admit hearing the old pride theme gets me a bit glassy eyed.

How is a top 3 in the weight class below equivalent to someone who probably wasn't even top 30...

How is a top 3 in the weight class below equivalent to someone who probably wasn't even top 30...
It's not. I dont like the fight or the reasons for it, but it's still better than the other two I mentioned.

yes pride did have more mismatches but they still had better fighters, events, rules, overall..

I do not see how anyone could not be a fan of

Shogun/Nog
Nog/Sergei
Kawijiri/Melendez
Wanderlei/Rampage
Shogun/Rampage
Hansen/Sakurai
Henderson/Wanderlei
Diaz/Gomi
Kawajiri/Gomi
Sakuraba/Wanderlei

Great list. Diaz vs. Gomi is one of my all time favorite fights.

Gracie vs Sakuraba was an epic epic story. Two GodFathers of MMA

Great list. Diaz vs. Gomi is one of my all time favorite fights.

Gracie vs Sakuraba was an epic epic story. Two GodFathers of MMA

I've never bothered to watch Royce v saku but something that long I can't see being very good, live I'm sure would've been epic as fuck but yeah -_-

Also Diaz gomi has to be one of the best fights in mma ever, so crazy and back and forth and the finish of Diaz getting dropped then subbing gomi was just nuts.

Bottom line is that the talent was in Pride. The competition was more fierce, the rules more brutal, and the Grand Prix was just awesome.

It was much different watching it live than watching it after it was dead. Pride had an aura about it. You knew something special was going to happen every event. Youtube and DVD's cant capture it the same.
Couldn't agree more my friend

I've never bothered to watch Royce v saku but something that long I can't see being very good, live I'm sure would've been epic as fuck but yeah -_-

Also Diaz gomi has to be one of the best fights in mma ever, so crazy and back and forth and the finish of Diaz getting dropped then subbing gomi was just nuts.

psh, that is mma history.. i can watch that and still not get bored, everyround has it moments.

90 minutes is a long time but I watched. I will never watch again but it is one of those once in a lifetime fights that every MMA fan needs to watch.

Royce's legs had to be sore as fuck afterwards.

Well, that's one thing I did like about watching PRIDE on VHS tapes that were recorded off of the Japanese broadcasts that I used to out of my way to buy back in the day. They had the goddess Eiko Koike doing commentary . . .

l-eiko-koike-c5837f3d.jpg

. . . I did find it odd that her favorite fighter was Big Nog though :icon_lol:

remember during the first fedor/nog fight and the camera cut to her crying? my friends and i were like, was that nogs hot girlfriend? haha

Originally Posted by LSXMMA View Post
It was much different watching it live than watching it after it was dead. Pride had an aura about it. You knew something special was going to happen every event. Youtube and DVD's cant capture it the same.

Couldn't agree more my friend

totally. watching CC v Fedor today is....anticlimactic. hell, i watched Wandy v Rampage II the other day and couldn't believe how utterly unexciting the first round was. but Live, after the first fight, after Rampage just slamming Arona into Hades, with Rampage talking on his cell phone while Wandy entered the ring....for faksake, i was on the edge of my seat from the time the lights dimmed all the way thru to cascading blood. you just don't get that from watching the dvd's.

then again, i also watched Tito v Wandy recently. talk about a fucking snooze fest :)

I understand what you mean. Especially if you weren't following the sport then. To each their own. I still say give it a watch. It's a huge part of the sports history in my opinion.

remember during the first fedor/nog fight and the camera cut to her crying? my friends and i were like, was that nogs hot girlfriend? haha

Ya I never knew what that was about. I'm literally feeling a sense of joy after all these years. True story.

I would watch it at least once if I were you. IMO, the only boring round was the second one but at least Saku tried to make it interesting by pulling Royce's gi over his head. :D

I would watch it at least once if I were you. IMO, the only boring round was the second one and at least Saku tried to make it interesting by pulling Royce's gi over his head. :D

Remember when he flipped him onto his shoulders on the mat with his legs up in the air? Using the gi to pick him up. Then started reigning down GNP!

Epic

I would watch it at least once if I were you. IMO, the only boring round was the second one but at least Saku tried to make it interesting by pulling Royce's gi over his head. :D

I wonder if Royce was offended by that? Do you mean when he was flipping Gracie ass over tea kettle? I don't remember him getting jersey'd. It's been a long time since I've seen it though.

Back