pride vs ufc

It was much different watching it live than watching it after it was dead. Pride had an aura about it. You knew something special was going to happen every event. Youtube and DVD's cant capture it the same.

It was the aura that the fate of the world would be decided in those Pride events.

2005 MW GP Finals is the climax of that feeling. Or at least one of the best moments.

FEDOR vs CROCOP

If PRIDE had as many fans in 2005 as it does in 2012, it would still be around.

Oh my god , not this discussion about Pride and UFC. I can't believe it's happening again.

Time has demonstrated that Pride and the UFC were on par with each other. At different times one might have a particularly strong division. Also, the current crop of UFC heavyweights didn't exist then.

There were boring fights in Pride, and really some cards that turned out boring as a whole.

But overall, I was more exited for Pride cards than the UFC. And that is saying something because I do, in fact, really look forward to UFC events. The guys fought a little looser in Pride for the most part. Roids were done, tempers flared, there were better rivalries in Pride than in the UFC IMO. The tournaments were epic and set up great cards. Bellator tournies are not going to capture what Pride had with the GPs.. But if the get 1/3 of it, they will be doing ok.

Bas Rutten was the icing on the cake for the Pride productions.

I wasn't into MMA in the old pride days but as a fan I have made the effort to watch all the UFC and Pride main events. I really feel I missed out on the golden era of MMA when I watch those old pride fights.

Last edited:
Most of the die hard Pride fans are newer fans that weren't even watching Pride back in the day. They believe that by idolizing Pride, it makes them a more legit fan or something crazy like that.
Pride died for a reason. Enjoy the fights, but let the organization and its rules RIP.

What do you mean PRIDE was the first?

I actually preferred the UFC's rules and approach to mma as a sport more than I did PRIDE. PRIDE was too pro-wrestling for me in that regard. That aside, there were some great fighters/fights in PRIDE at the time, and the ppvs tended to be more stacked than the UFC.

I meant Pride was the first Big promotion, the top dog.
Now it's UFC.

If PRIDE had as many fans in 2005 as it does in 2012, it would still be around.

LOL, good point.

but the demise of Pride had little to do with their popularity.

The discovery that the yakuza owned it and manipulated fights was what killed it.

It can happen to Zuffa, but it seems they are very aware with this fact and steer clear of any wrongdoing.

In my opinion, the highs of Pride were better than the highs of the UFC to date, but the UFC has been more consistently above-average/good.

Sort of like the difference between a hitter who hits .350 one year and .250 the next, and one who hits .290 in both years.

Most of the die hard Pride fans are newer fans that weren't even watching Pride back in the day. They believe that by idolizing Pride, it makes them a more legit fan or something crazy like that.
Pride died for a reason. Enjoy the fights, but let the organization and its rules RIP.

I would never be a fan of any organisation as I don't believe in sucking ****. But I watch what's out there (what I can get access to) and I either enjoy a card or don't. With both the UFC and Pride's back catalogue, I watched in chronological order so I there was an element to surprise for me, UFC had some cracking cards but I generally preferred what Pride had put on. It was quite an embarrassing moment for Dana when Chuck didn't deliver; even more embarrassing was Dana's denial of his hair loss.

I meant Pride was the first Big promotion, the top dog.
Now it's UFC.
The first big promotion how? The UFC was pretty huge when it first started out. It went into decline, but it was still bigger than PRIDE in the beginning. They picked up a bunch of UFC guys and got huge while the UFC was on the decline.

I've always preferred PRIDE, however, the UFC was very good in those days as well.

I've always preferred PRIDE, however, the UFC was very good in those days as well.
Yep. It was the super cards that made PRIDE great for me. On one card, we got to see Chuck/Rampage, Rampage/Wand, Nog/Cro Cop, Hendo/Busta, and Randleman/Sakuraba. One of the weakest fights on paper was a Heath Herring fight, who was one of the top hws in the world.

Pride had some really great matches. loved the soccer kicks, knees, GPs, and of course the short notice matchmaking which made fights a lot more unpredictable and exciting.

Pride had some really great matches. loved the soccer kicks, knees, GPs, and of course the short notice matchmaking which made fights a lot more unpredictable and exciting.
I loved the knees but hated the soccer kicks. The short notice was about as unprofessional as it gets.

20t2u12.gif

I love Pride. But that's been dead for too long now. Lets move on shall we?

The first big promotion how? The UFC was pretty huge when it first started out. It went into decline, but it was still bigger than PRIDE in the beginning. They picked up a bunch of UFC guys and got huge while the UFC was on the decline.
Pride started with Takada and Rickson, then created his own stars in Sakuraba, Nogueira, Crocop, all guys that were fighting in Japan or made big names in Japan.

btw a lot of people think that there was so much competition between Pride and the UFC, but the two organizations were directed at different markets.

If you thought Fedor vs Nog was lame then I can't offer any support for PRIDE

Back