pride vs ufc

Remember when he flipped him onto his shoulders on the mat with his legs up in the air? Using the gi to pick him up. Then started reigning down GNP!

Epic

66325_v1.jpg

pride was better. i'm not some "hipster" asswipe who can't just go with the flow, but i watched pride and the ufc every month from 2002-2007. i got in just before they put on an epic GP series and even better shockwave event each year. i caught up very quickly (ordered a 1-18 set with the 2000 gp). instantly became a sakuraba fan, loved how the gracies came to fight in japan, and although the first 5 events feature some of the absolute worst fights i've ever seen, they still hold their own.

i'd give them the edge in production/hype and things like that, but it mainly comes down to the fight cards. PRIDE, in its prime, was the best organization

the ufc was still awesome, and in 2006, they started doing a PPV event every month (or 10/year). they had great cards, too. but not like pride. pride had the 3 great gp events and a shockwave, maybe 2 numbered events, and 5 or so bushido events.

the 3 GP events and shockwave were always stacked (and if the ufc had a 3-event tourney and a STACKED NYE show every year, it would truly be untouchable), but the regular PRIDE events were still very solid cards. 27, 34, and 22 are really the only shitty cards during that period.

PRIDE took the bushido series to new heights very quickly. it was originally some team battle with some decent names on the udnercard. but the ufc gave up on its LW division, and PRIDE made bushido the showcase for 160 and 185 lbs fighters (183). and the last 7-8 bushido shows are not only stacked, but featured some of the most exciting events ever, including the best event ever.

I wonder if Royce was offended by that? Do you mean when he was flipping Gracie ass over tea kettle? I don't remember him getting jersey'd. It's been a long time since I've seen it though.

That's what I was referring to but he did get the gi pulled over his head as well if I'm not mistaken. It was when they were against the ropes in the corner I think.

Remember when he flipped him onto his shoulders on the mat with his legs up in the air? Using the gi to pick him up. Then started reigning down GNP!

Epic

Ya that's what I'm thinking of.

I'm digging my DVD out. Time for some old school !

PRIDE's Grand Prix events were Epic. There were only a few big cards per year, but they generated the kind of buzz few UFC cards generate. Title fights were few and far between and champions often faced lower tier fighters or irrelevant "freakshow" opponents. I hated that about PRIDE.

The UFC, on the other hand had more frequent cards and title fights between the champions and top contenders were a staple.

The analogy I have always made is that the UFC was the meat and potatoes. A bunch of good cards, but few that were truly great. PRIDE cards were a holiday feast. At least the big ones. They were infrequent, but they were truly must see events. It was a good balance.

pride was better. i'm not some "hipster" asswipe who can't just go with the flow, but i watched pride and the ufc every month from 2002-2007. i got in just before they put on an epic GP series and even better shockwave event each year. i caught up very quickly (ordered a 1-18 set with the 2000 gp). instantly became a sakuraba fan, loved how the gracies came to fight in japan, and although the first 5 events feature some of the absolute worst fights i've ever seen, they still hold their own.

i'd give them the edge in production/hype and things like that, but it mainly comes down to the fight cards. PRIDE, in its prime, was the best organization

the ufc was still awesome, and in 2006, they started doing a PPV event every month (or 10/year). they had great cards, too. but not like pride. pride had the 3 great gp events and a shockwave, maybe 2 numbered events, and 5 or so bushido events.

the 3 GP events and shockwave were always stacked (and if the ufc had a 3-event tourney and a STACKED NYE show every year, it would truly be untouchable), but the regular PRIDE events were still very solid cards. 27, 34, and 22 are really the only shitty cards during that period.

PRIDE took the bushido series to new heights very quickly. it was originally some team battle with some decent names on the udnercard. but the ufc gave up on its LW division, and PRIDE made bushido the showcase for 160 and 185 lbs fighters (183). and the last 7-8 bushido shows are not only stacked, but featured some of the most exciting events ever, including the best event ever.

Which one do you consider to be the best ever. I'm digging out DVDs

I like stomps and soccer kicks and how some of the more famous Chute Boxe members implemented them. I disliked the ring and the constant pause to reposition in the middle of the ring, and I think some of the refs were too quick to stand up fights when a grappler was working but not necessarily GnPing. I didn't like the freak show fights that much, and i hated how Japanese cans were fed to big names to be destroyed. I also think ring introductions should be somewhere in the middle of what PRIDE did and what the UFC does. I like the epic feel of PRIDE, but I also love to watch a fighter come in from the locker room on ground level getting pumped up to his walk-out song.

PRIDE's Grand Prix events were Epic. There were only a few big cards per year, but they generated the kind of buzz few UFC cards generate. Title fights were few and far between and champions often faced lower tier fighters or irrelevant "freakshow" opponents. I hated that about PRIDE.

The UFC, on the other hand had more frequent cards and title fights between the champions and top contenders were a staple.

The analogy I have always made is that the UFC was the meat and potatoes. A bunch of good cards, but few that were truly great. PRIDE cards were a holiday feast. At least the big ones. They were infrequent, but they were truly must see events. It was a good balance.

Didn't Pride and UFC do about as many shows a year in 2000-2005?

Ya I never knew what that was about. I'm literally feeling a sense of joy after all these years. True story.

it wasnt his girlfriend though, she was a model turned commentator. nog was her favorite fighter, and to see him get smashed like that was hard to watch. i think thats awesome how into it she got. imagine goldie crying after seeing couture get beat! lol

Oh I thought you were picking one of the Bushido events.

Bushido would be 9 with 7 coming in 2nd. For me at least.

Although 1 will always have a special place in my heart as it was my first ever MMA experience.

it wasnt his girlfriend though, she was a model turned commentator. nog was her favorite fighter, and to see him get smashed like that was hard to watch. i think thats awesome how into it she got. imagine goldie crying after seeing couture get beat! lol

Mir after Torres got knocked out by Bowles would be a better example. :D

UFC is a like a good, faithful, and loving wife who is going to have dinner on the table every night when we get home. Things may get boring from time to time, but this is a healthy relationship for the long term.

PRIDE was like the drunk cocktail waitress you bang after meeting her in a hotel bar in while you're on the road for business. It was a fun time, but everyone knows it wasn't going to last.

I'll take the dinner every night. Slow and steady baby. UFC 155! Can't wait!

I say UFC > PRIDE because it lasted longer, it's still around, and is a more consistent lover.

I like the way you express yourself.

Back