• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Preference: DA, SA, DA/SA? Hammer or Striker?

For target shooting SA and for self defense DA, basically.

Assuming you have gained some proficiency while target shooting, why would you want to shoot using something different in a self defense situation? If my life is on the line, give me the same system I have had the most practice with.

The 9mm is my go to for self defense, not because it has the most stopping power (obviously it doesn

Assuming you have gained some proficiency while target shooting, why would you want to shoot using something different in a self defense situation? If my life is on the line, give me the same system I have had the most practice with.

The 9mm is my go to for self defense, not because it has the most stopping power (obviously it doesn

Why not shoot both? There's always going to be a difference in triggers, even in two different SA/DA guns. I mean, yeah, practice a lot with what you're going to carry, but you shouldn't restrict yourself to just that one gun/caliber/trigger style.

Not sure who this is directed at. I never said anything about sticking to one trigger system. I only suggested using the same trigger system for defense that you use to practice with. It doesnt make any sense to me to practice with one trigger system, then use a different trigger system for when you actually need to defend yourself.

Not sure who this is directed at. I never said anything about sticking to one trigger system. I only suggested using the same trigger system for defense that you use to practice with. It doesnt make any sense to me to practice with one trigger system, then use a different trigger system for when you actually need to defend yourself.

The way I read it, it seems like you're suggesting to stick to just one type of trigger. I don't think that's necessary. I don't see why you can't practice with both, although if what you're trying to say is that it's dumb to practice with only SA when you carry DAO, then I'd agree. As long as you're practicing with both, it shouldn't be an issue.

The way I read it, it seems like you're suggesting to stick to just one type of trigger. I don't think that's necessary. I don't see why you can't practice with both, although if what you're trying to say is that it's dumb to practice with only SA when you carry DAO, then I'd agree. As long as you're practicing with both, it shouldn't be an issue.

Reread the quote in the post where he said that. That is exactly what he is saying.

Part of me likes the option of SA/DA and part of me wonders what the point of DA is. For revolvers no worries, but who chambers a round in a semi and then manually lowers the hammer? And yeah, hammers are good. 1911's for the win. :)

For revolvers no worries, but who chambers a round in a semi and then manually lowers the hammer?

Everyone who carries a DA/SA. I can't think of a DA/SA pistol that does not have a dekok on it. Some are built into the safety and some stand alone but all modern DA/SA have them.

Part of me likes the option of SA/DA and part of me wonders what the point of DA is. For revolvers no worries, but who chambers a round in a semi and then manually lowers the hammer? And yeah, hammers are good. 1911's for the win. :)

DA can be carried with a round chambered and the weapon safe, and can be brought into action with a squeeze of the trigger without having to operate any safety mechanism.

That is really the only advantage, but it is one preferred by police who are concerned about getting into a fist fight or wrestling a suspect to the ground and having their ****ed SA go off.

I get real nervous when I see someone with a holstered 1911 with the hammer back. Even with a slide safety, I don't feel comfortable around it.

I do with my 1911, not all the way though, just to "hammer-safe" position.

DA can be carried with a round chambered and the weapon safe, and can be brought into action with a squeeze of the trigger without having to operate any safety mechanism.

That is really the only advantage, but it is one preferred by police who are concerned about getting into a fist fight or wrestling a suspect to the ground and having their ****ed SA go off.

I get real nervous when I see someone with a holstered 1911 with the hammer back. Even with a slide safety, I don't feel comfortable around it.

I really don't understand why more people don't use the hammer-safety, IME I can usually finish ****ing the hammer about the same time into my draw than I can toggle-down the thumb safety--definitely before I finish the presentation.

Last edited:

Everyone that works at the local range I go to carries 1911s like this. I feel the same way. I get that it is mechanically ok, but if it was me it would make me nervous for sure. Just looks like its ready to blow the side of your leg off.

Everyone who carries a DA/SA. I can't think of a DA/SA pistol that does not have a dekok on it. Some are built into the safety and some stand alone but all modern DA/SA have them.

Thanks. I always thought the dec0cker was kinda silly. I guess I've got no fear of the c0cked and locked approach. I've never really carried either so what the hell do I know? Seems like accuracy is much improved with the SA pull and I hate the DA pull so I'd be inclined to avoid that.

Makes sense I suppose. With 1911's you've still got the grip safety.

I do with my 1911, not all the way though, just to "hammer-safe" position.

You keep the hammer partially c0cked?

Thanks. I always thought the dec0cker was kinda silly. I guess I've got no fear of the c0cked and locked approach. I've never really carried either so what the hell do I know? Seems like accuracy is much improved with the SA pull and I hate the DA pull so I'd be inclined to avoid that.

I can

I've now totally changed my mind. Funny thing is the pistols I'd most likely carry are both SA/DA so this has been great food for thought. Now maybe some year my state will issue concealed carry licenses.

You in IL too? What part?

Back