Prediction : Chucky Olives finishes both Poirier and Gaethje then loses a decision to Makhachev

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
I like Charles but Dustin is a tough match for him. Unless D1 Charles shows up and puts on a clinic, but Dustin has strong enough TDD I think. 5 rounds is a long time for Dustin to not land anything of significance that would prompt a swarm/potential finish. Dustin can keep a high pace too.

That being said, I disagree with you that there's any popular notion that Charles is NOT a beast on the ground. Would be a pretty stupid position to take considering his record-setting submissions and how quick they get slapped on whenever he's on the mat. Maybe I missed some dumb posts on the topic though.

So I'm totally biased because I'm a big Charles Olive's fan. Loves the guy's fighting style since he first entered the UFC, super happy for him when he got it all together at LW and got the belt.

I see him finishing both Poirier and Gaethje on the ground in bar burners fights. Of course they can win that fight too it's MMA anything can happen especially at that elite level. But I don't really see the big edge that they have on him today, except durability. And he showed he can come back from adversity big time against Chandler. I really think he's underestimated on here and that people don't realize how dangerous of a finisher he is on the ground, on top of having developed into a really skilled Muay Thai artist.

I know Poirier and Gaethje are enormous fan favorites here and saying they won't win each fight is a blasphemy for both fan bases. But I just see Poirier being caught in a scramble after he gets wild like he usually does. And for Gaethje I'm sorry but as soon as it hits the ground after either gets knocked down he's getting totally schooled in submission grappling. The difference in jiu jitsu between him and do Bronx is abysmal.

Then I see makhachev beating him in 5 rounds fight that goes the distance sadly, just because he's the most skilled at that Caucasus grappling style after khabib, and it's a nightmare style for jiu jitsu fighters as we saw in Khabib/RDA. Plus Islam is calculated on the feet and doesn't take too many risks, maybe because he got knocked out one time. And neither guy is finishing the other on the ground, I just can't see it. Makhachev won't get too wild with ground and pound and he's never catching Do Bronx with a submission ever. Onlychance Chucky Olives has is if he rocks him standing but Makhachev can always stall wrestle for recovery any time.

So that's my prediction, Charles finishes Poirier and Gaethje back to back in sick back and forth fights, and then loses a close decision to Islam Makhachev. What do you think do you see it possible or no ?

That’s a fair take. I’m also a fan of Olivera (love his offensive BJJ) and I think he’s going to surprise a lot of people next week against Porier. I agree about Makhachev as well. Their ground skills cancel each other out and Islam likely grinds out a decision.

But I don’t see him getting past Gaethje. Justin has no BJJ but he also can’t be taken down easily. Even another D-1 wrestler like Chandler couldn’t take him down and Olivera’s wrestling, while good, is not on Chandler’s level. I think Olivera will be forced to fight Justin on the feet after repeatedly getting his TDs stuffed. His standup is good enough to hang with Justin but his chances of winning go down if he can’t bring the fight to the ground.

Bit off topic but still on the topic....

My prediction, and excuse me, I don't mean to be that guy cause people will not like this. But I think the Gaethje fights the winner of Poirier/Olivera and the winner of that will fight Conor. I think Conor is gonna come back in the spring, it's gonna be a favorable match up he will win and the champ is gonna want to fight him. So I am making an early prediction that Makachev/Dariush winner will get pushed aside for Conor.

We already know the willingness of Poirier to fight Conor, we know Gaethje wants that fight, and Olivera spoke this week about fighting him.

I know a few things have to fall into place here, but I think that's what will happen.

On the topic at hand, I think Olivera beats Islam if that fights happens.

Who all has Oliveira really beat? A thoroughly washed Tony, a chinny Chandler who lost 1/3 of his fights in the B-leagues, Kevin Lee who was released, and a bunch of guys who can't crack the rankings? Oliveira was just in the right place at the right time.
thats a valid take. im fine with it.
im not exactly looking results/resume wise, but rather on what hes been showing. His striking has improved a lot and hes got some power in both hands. Add the deadly ground game and he is a real threat.
Dustin, Justin, Islam, all these can beat him of course. I just think hes ready for these 3. Lets see how it goes.

I told ya'll ! WAR DO BRONX !

Now please @Substance Abuse do me a favor and put back this thread in the heavies where it initially was. Us Oliveira fan needs to celebrate !

And for the record I see him even beating Makhachev now ! I'm pumpeeeed

Back