Social POTWR 2019 Vol 3: Examining Opioid Addiction In America

Yeah, it's not the only reason, but it certainly doesn't help anything. Imagine if you lived in a state where mentally ill homeless people were actually taken off the streets, hospitalized, given treatment whether they wanted it or not, and then provided with housing and employment resources. There are parts of the country like this, and they don't have the armies of homeless schizophrenics like you see all over California.
you ever try being homeless during a Michigan winter? but yeah your right the systems fucked here in California.

I'm guessing the clinic you went to was pretty lax and didn't do random drug screens, strip counts, test buphrenorphine metabolite levels, etc. There are a lot of shitty doctors out there just wanting to make a buck.
lol i was at no point drug tested. the appointment was 15 minutes.

lol i was at no point drug tested. the appointment was 15 minutes.
Yeah, in a purely profit-driven clinic, it seems like there would be little incentive to do anything that would increase overhead costs or risk cutting patients off or sending them to higher levels of care.

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, how frequently did you see your doctor, and how much did he/she charge for those 15 minutes?

another thing. Im not religious by any means but I started attending catholic mass during my stint. The first thing I noticed was that I didnt like to suffer and that me being so fucked up all the time just made it worse. I reached a point didnt like feeling any discomfort at all
it took me going to mass sober and listening to bible that I realized its normal to suffer and that I was a punk for not being able to deal with that.

Yeah, in a purely profit-driven clinic, it seems like there would be little incentive to do anything that would increase overhead costs or risk cutting patients off or sending them to higher levels of care.

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, how frequently did you see your doctor, and how much did he/she charge for those 15 minutes?
30 dollar copay. I saw him whenever my refill ran out. Im not gonna lie if I hadnt quit my job id probably still be taking that garbage.

30 dollar copay. I saw him whenever my refill ran out. Im not gonna lie if I hadnt quit my job id probably still be taking that garbage.
Ah, he took insurance, I see. Probably at least half the clinics are cash-only. I would think the guys taking insurance and accepting new patients would probably be harder to find.

I have a friend who is a doctor (he appears to lean Conservative, though I'm not 100% sure). I asked him his opinion on the "opioid crisis," and this is what he said (paraphrased):

In the years after ObamaCare passed, but before it went into effect, and before the term "opioid crisis" entered the public lexicon, there was a major push from professional associations, such as the AMA, ASA, ASRA, etc., to address "pain management." Doctors would be forced to sit through Powerpoint presentations on this supposed pain management crisis, and they received all sorts of pamphlets and literature on new guidelines for addressing pain issues. The common perception at the time was that prescription opiate painkillers are drugs with high abuse potential, and doctors were reluctant to prescribe them for fear of trouble with state licensing boards/agencies. However, the professional associations indicated that restrictions on prescription painkiller access would be lifted under the impending ObamaCare regime and new guidelines, and that doctors effectively had a "green light" to prescribe more liberally.

At the same time, many regional industries, such as coal mining, were being stamped out under the weight of federal regulation, and large swaths of the Heartland were suddenly unemployed. The trend of offshoring manufacturing jobs continued at this time as well. As a result, lots of people who were used to doing physical labor suddenly had no jobs, and they also had greater access to prescription painkillers. You can probably guess how it proceeded from there.

Anyway, my doctor friend blames the professional associations and the government for pushing "pain management" so hard, and he thinks it's obnoxious to hear them talk about an "opioid crisis" they basically created. Based on what I know, I tend to agree with him. I also have my own theories about whether it was intentional, but I'll spare you those (for now).

I have a friend who is a doctor (he appears to lean Conservative, though I'm not 100% sure). I asked him his opinion on the "opioid crisis," and this is what he said (paraphrased):

In the years after ObamaCare passed, but before it went into effect, and before the term "opioid crisis" entered the public lexicon, there was a major push from professional associations, such as the AMA, ASA, ASRA, etc., to address "pain management." Doctors would be forced to sit through Powerpoint presentations on this supposed pain management crisis, and they received all sorts of pamphlets and literature on new guidelines for addressing pain issues. The common perception at the time was that prescription opiate painkillers are drugs with high abuse potential, and doctors were reluctant to prescribe them for fear of trouble with state licensing boards/agencies. However, the professional associations indicated that restrictions on prescription painkiller access would be lifted under the impending ObamaCare regime and new guidelines, and that doctors effectively had a "green light" to prescribe more liberally.

At the same time, many regional industries, such as coal mining, were being stamped out under the weight of federal regulation, and large swaths of the Heartland were suddenly unemployed. The trend of offshoring manufacturing jobs continued at this time as well. As a result, lots of people who were used to doing physical labor suddenly had no jobs, and they also had greater access to prescription painkillers. You can probably guess how it proceeded from there.

Anyway, my doctor friend blames the professional associations and the government for pushing "pain management" so hard, and he thinks it's obnoxious to hear them talk about an "opioid crisis" they basically created. Based on what I know, I tend to agree with him. I also have my own theories about whether it was intentional, but I'll spare you those (for now).

If you go back a little ways, like the 80's-90's, there were more doctors getting in trouble for under prescribing for pain than for over prescribing.

If you go back a little ways, like the 80's-90's, there were more doctors getting in trouble for under prescribing for pain than for over prescribing.

It’s a tricky thing for doctors. I have been in terrible pain before, and I certainly wouldn’t want to “deal with it” without painkillers. I shouldn’t have to put on a dramatic show (e.g. screaming in pain) to get relief. At the same time, I know that some people out abuse pain pills.

It’s a tricky thing for doctors. I have been in terrible pain before, and I certainly wouldn’t want to “deal with it” without painkillers. I shouldn’t have to put on a dramatic show (e.g. screaming in pain) to get relief. At the same time, I know that some people out abuse pain pills.

Opioids have helped me a lot when I was in pain and I believe they certainly have a roll in normal treatment. It's tricky being a prescriber.

you ever try being homeless during a Michigan winter? but yeah your right the systems fucked here in California.
I know in Minnesota my dad said when he was a kid (the 1940s) you didn't see the homeless in the winter because they'd take a rock, throw it through a storefront window and go sit in side waiting for the cops to arrive and charge them with a Burglary so they could be in jail all winter.

I was in the hospital for an infection that abscessed and the abscess was the size that was slightly bigger than say a golf ball.

here's the problem... warning for people that this may be TMI
it was on the left side of my sack

The cut it, drained it and I was in a fair amount of discomfort cause they weren't going to stitch that area so they just packed the wound. They had me on an IV pain regimen if I wanted it.

First night in of my 3 night stay they came in with duladid and asked me what my pain level was on a scale of 1-10. I was like:
"I'm like a 4 but because of WHERE it is I won't be able to sleep"
"Ok, we'll hit you with a dose for right around a 4 then"

The fact that I can still RIGHT over a year removed remember how it felt when it got injected into me has permanently scared me away from pain pills or meds other than like Tylenol Extra Strength. It was like an instant euphoric feeling and I was OUT in like 2 minutes.

I was in the hospital for an infection that abscessed and the abscess was the size that was slightly bigger than say a golf ball.

here's the problem... warning for people that this may be TMI
it was on the left side of my sack

The cut it, drained it and I was in a fair amount of discomfort cause they weren't going to stitch that area so they just packed the wound. They had me on an IV pain regimen if I wanted it.

First night in of my 3 night stay they came in with duladid and asked me what my pain level was on a scale of 1-10. I was like:
"I'm like a 4 but because of WHERE it is I won't be able to sleep"
"Ok, we'll hit you with a dose for right around a 4 then"

The fact that I can still RIGHT over a year removed remember how it felt when it got injected into me has permanently scared me away from pain pills or meds other than like Tylenol Extra Strength. It was like an instant euphoric feeling and I was OUT in like 2 minutes.

Same reason to stay away from heroin, so I hear.

Let it rip dude. Im curious what youre holdin back

Okay, here goes:
The Obama administration orchestrated the "opioid crisis" in Appalachia as payback for the CIA circulating crack in black communities in the 1980's
maxresdefault.jpg

Okay, here goes:
The Obama administration orchestrated the "opioid crisis" in Appalachia as payback for the CIA circulating crack in black communities in the 1980's
maxresdefault.jpg
<TheWire1>

I think a tax-not a big one, but a tax on every medication sold to help fund the treatment centers would go a long way to help this problem.

I think a tax-not a big one, but a tax on every medication sold to help fund the treatment centers would go a long way to help this problem.

There's merit in this line of thinking, but in the context of American "health care" this cost is likely to be 100% passed along as best as possible. Will the right pocket be reaching for the wallet?

Back