Social POTWR 2019 Vol 3: Examining Opioid Addiction In America

There's merit in this line of thinking, but in the context of American "health care" this cost is likely to be 100% passed along as best as possible. Will the right pocket be reaching for the wallet?

Pharmaceutical companies are the biggest money makers in the entire country. They should be heavily taxed for their profits. I posted in another thread in my local news about the cost a company spends on a particular cancer drug. It costs them $178 dollars for one round of this drug. Guess what they charge? $80,000 for something that costs them under $200. How is that legal or ethical? It’s not. It’s evil in my opinion

Pharmaceutical companies are the biggest money makers in the entire country. They should be heavily taxed for their profits. I posted in another thread in my local news about the cost a company spends on a particular cancer drug. It costs them $178 dollars for one round of this drug. Guess what they charge? $80,000 for something that costs them under $200. How is that legal or ethical? It’s not. It’s evil in my opinion

Between notoriously high R&D costs and the government intervention that runs up the tab on anything potentially successful, there's a ton of expenses to recoup. Many times in this context I hear people talk about how little it must cost to manufacture pill. What those folks aren't considering are all the other expenses that went into making that pill available.

I'm not saying nothing can be done. Just saying there's a lot of scratching beneath the surface to be done on that topic.

Between notoriously high R&D costs and the government intervention that runs up the tab on anything potentially successful, there's a ton of expenses to recoup. Many times in this context I hear people talk about how little it must cost to manufacture pill. What those folks aren't considering are all the other expenses that went into making that pill available.

I'm not saying nothing can be done. Just saying there's a lot of scratching beneath the surface to be done on that topic.

I don’t understand why I can get the exact same medication in other countries for do much less. My allergy inhaler here was $109 after insurance. In Europe it was about $15 with no insurance. In India around $5. Are they just taking a huge loss every where else? I don’t think so. Yes there are costs to recoup, but there needs to be a limit to how much profit is reasonable.

I don’t understand why I can get the exact same medication in other countries for do much less. My allergy inhaler here was $109 after insurance. In Europe it was about $15 with no insurance. In India around $5. Are they just taking a huge loss every where else? I don’t think so. Yes there are costs to recoup, but there needs to be a limit to how much profit is reasonable.

Not sure about Europe, but I though India had no patent laws so whoever can make something can make it.

I have a friend who is a doctor (he appears to lean Conservative, though I'm not 100% sure). I asked him his opinion on the "opioid crisis," and this is what he said (paraphrased):

In the years after ObamaCare passed, but before it went into effect, and before the term "opioid crisis" entered the public lexicon, there was a major push from professional associations, such as the AMA, ASA, ASRA, etc., to address "pain management." Doctors would be forced to sit through Powerpoint presentations on this supposed pain management crisis, and they received all sorts of pamphlets and literature on new guidelines for addressing pain issues. The common perception at the time was that prescription opiate painkillers are drugs with high abuse potential, and doctors were reluctant to prescribe them for fear of trouble with state licensing boards/agencies. However, the professional associations indicated that restrictions on prescription painkiller access would be lifted under the impending ObamaCare regime and new guidelines, and that doctors effectively had a "green light" to prescribe more liberally.

At the same time, many regional industries, such as coal mining, were being stamped out under the weight of federal regulation, and large swaths of the Heartland were suddenly unemployed. The trend of offshoring manufacturing jobs continued at this time as well. As a result, lots of people who were used to doing physical labor suddenly had no jobs, and they also had greater access to prescription painkillers. You can probably guess how it proceeded from there.

Anyway, my doctor friend blames the professional associations and the government for pushing "pain management" so hard, and he thinks it's obnoxious to hear them talk about an "opioid crisis" they basically created. Based on what I know, I tend to agree with him. I also have my own theories about whether it was intentional, but I'll spare you those (for now).
I lay the blame squarely at the feet of Purdue Pharma and the Sackler family (may they rot).

The US opioid epidemic seems to many to have come out of nowhere, and there’s been much finger-pointing in recent years about how this state of affairs came to be. Some have argued that inadequate mental healthcare is to blame. Others have postulated that doctors were naively over prescribing them as a way to quickly treat pain and please their patients. But, according to a recently published draft report, at least some of the blame should be attributed to the way pharmaceutical companies have manipulated patent extensions over the past decade.

In the 1970s and 80s, doctors were looking for better ways to control pain, and many believed opioids a good, non-addictive option. In the 1990s, drug manufacturers began aggressively marketing the painkillers to doctors and patients. Soon, patients (or their loved oneswho stole their pills) were developing tolerances for low doses, and graduated to abusing the drugs by crushing them and either snorting or liquefying and injecting the powders, or turning to heroin, often fatally. By the time the science caught up in the early 2000s, it was too late: Thousands of people were addicted to opioids. Opioids have killed over 560,000 people in the US since 2000. Last month, president Donald Trump declared the crisis a public health emergency.

Pharmaceutical companies profited from this demand, and the exclusive rights they had to make these compounds. This allowed them to pump even more money into marketing, which inevitably led to doctors prescribing more of them.

From the moment a drug company patents a compound, it has 20 years of exclusive manufacturing and selling rights on it. In theory, a company’s monopoly on a drug dissolves after its patents expire and generics flood the market. But drug companies usually file for patents in the discovery stages as a way of staking their territory in the field. The approval process for drugs from the US Food and Drug Administration involves lengthy clinical trials, which usually take around 12 years—meaning that manufacturers typically only get to actually sell their drugs exclusively for about eight years before generics come onto the market. So they often seek ways to extend this exclusive period.

Perhaps the most common way is to change a drug ever so slightly. For example, a company can file a new patent if it makes a version of a drug with a slightly different dosage, or with a different way it’s released in the body over time.

“Our patent system doesn’t require something to be better, just different,” says Robin Feldman, the director of the Institute for Innovation Law at the University of California Hastings College of Law. “Rather than creating new medicines, pharmaceutical companies are largely recycling and repurposing [drugs].” The manufacturer can then hold off generic competition for a few more years. Competitors (or anyone else) could theoretically make the case in court that these compounds aren’t actually different, but the legal battle would likely be too costly and time consuming to be worth it.

Feldman, together with Connie Wang, a law student at Stanford University, meticulously went through a decade’s worth of versions of the US Food and Drug Administration’s “Orange Book” and US Patent and Trademark Office website listings to investigate the relationship between patent filings, exclusivity extensions, and drug approvals. They found that of the 100 best-selling drugs from 2005 to 2015,about 80% (paywall) had a patent extension filed on them at least once. About 50% of these drugs had multiple extensions.

That, Feldman argues, can create a dangerous cycle. “The immense monopoly profits allow drug companies like Purdue to aggressively market their drugs to doctors,” explains Feldman. “Physicians preferentially prescribe these particular drugs. Where drugs are addictive and problematic, that’s dangerous.”
https://qz.com/1125690/big-pharma-i...patent-law-to-keep-oxycontin-from-ever-dying/

"It was aggressively marketed to doctors – many of whom were taken on lavish junkets, given misleading information and paid to give talks on the drug – while patients were wrongly told the pills were a reliable long-term solution to chronic pain, and in some cases offered coupons for a month’s free sample."

Three Purdue Pharma executives pleaded guilty in 2007 to federal criminal charges that they misled regulators, doctors and patients about OxyContin’s risk of addiction and its potential to be abused. The company settled for a record $600m. But no members of the Sackler family were charged or mentioned.

In 2010, after the showdown with regulators and many civil lawsuit settlements – and with the original patent on OxyContin due to expire – Purdue tweaked its product to make it harder to snort and was more explicit in its marketing about the risks of addiction.

There are rival drugs on the market, but OxyContin is widely considered to be ground zero in the US opioid epidemic. The federal agency, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, reported in 2017 that 91 people are dying every day in the US from drug overdoses, 60% of which involve opioids. Deaths from prescription opioids have quadrupled since 1999.

In the past five years, as prescriptions for opioids fell in response to the crisis, Americans didn’t shake the habit or seek rehab; they turned to heroin instead. Four out of five people in the US who try heroin today started with prescription painkillers, according to the American Society of Addiction Medicine. Then street heroin started being secretly cut with the dangerous synthetic opioid fentanyl.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...idemic-heroin-addict-oxycontin-sackler-family

Origins of an Epidemic: Purdue Pharma Knew Its Opioids Were Widely Abused
A confidential Justice Department report found the company was aware early on that OxyContin was being crushed and snorted for its powerful narcotic, but continued to promote it as less addictive.

"The drugmaker admitted in 2007, when confronted with evidence gathered by prosecutors, that it trained sales representative to tell doctors that OxyContin was less addictive and prone to abuse than competing opioids, claims beyond the one approved by the F.D.A."

Then in 1998, as OxyContin’s marketing campaign was taking off, Purdue Pharma learned of a medical journal study that appeared to undercut its central message — that OxyContin, as a long-acting opioid, had less appeal to drug abusers.

In an accompanying editorial, a Canadian physician, Dr. Brian Goldman, wrote that the findings turned thinking about the supposed safety of long-acting opioids like OxyContin on its head by showing that drug abusers “coveted” such drugs.

“This should ring alarm bells,” Dr. Goldman, who was then a paid speaker for Purdue Pharma, wrote in the editorial.

Purdue Pharma did not send the Canadian study to the F.D.A. or tell its sales representatives about it. Instead, one sales official testified later to a federal grand jury that the company gave him an older survey to show doctors that had concluded that drug abusers were not attracted to time-release opioids.

However, in March 1998, a few months before the study’s publication, Mr. Udell, the chief counsel, sent seven members of the Sackler family a memo titled “MS Contin Abuse,” described by prosecutors as containing articles from Vancouver-area newspapers about the drug’s abuse there and the price MS Contin was bringing on the street.

Two years later, as OxyContin’s abuse publicly exploded in early 2000, a Purdue Pharma executive described in an email to Mr. Friedman, the chief executive, how he was reminded of what he had seen earlier managing MS Contin sales in the Midwest.

“I received this kind of news on MS Contin, all the time and from everywhere,” the company’s vice-president of marketing, Mark Alfonso, wrote in June 2000. “Some pharmacies would not even stock MS Contin for fear they would be robbed. In Wisconsin, Minnesota and Oklahoma, we had physicians indicted for prescribing too much MS Contin.”

Mr. Friedman’s response, prosecutors reported, was to forward that email to Mr. Udell with a question: “You want all this chat on email?”

At a court hearing held in 2007 to approve the settlement, a prosecutor who had worked on the case, Randy Ramseyer, said the misdemeanor pleas by the three officials would send a message to drug industry executives that they faced being held “to a higher standard.”

But drug companies continued to flood areas rife with drug abuse with more opioids. Starting in 2007, the year of the settlement, distributors of prescription drugs sent enough pain pills to West Virginia over a five-year period to supply every man, woman and child there with 433 of them, according to a report in the Charleston Gazette-Mail.

Not sure about Europe, but I though India had no patent laws so whoever can make something can make it.

I'm not sure about that. I do know there are pirated meds and expired meds that often get sold. In my case though, it was the same manufacturer.

If it gets people off the bridge on my way to work every day I say let it burn through

I'm not sure about that. I do know there are pirated meds and expired meds that often get sold. In my case though, it was the same manufacturer.

Could be loose enforcement. Here's an article from a couple years ago.

https://www.statnews.com/pharmalot/2016/05/23/india-patents-licenses-pharma/

And one for 2013 where it looks like they don't issue the patent to the foreign company and then let a local business make generics.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnla...ces-except-for-home-grown-drugs/#696f11d52cba

This issue was again in the news last week when the Indian Supreme Court denied a patent application for Glivec (also known as Gleevec), an important treatment for leukemia made by Novartis. Given that there is no patent for Glivec in India, any generic drug manufacturer in India can now make and sell this drug, which will be priced at a fraction of what Novartis charges in the rest of the world.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back