Social POTWR 2019 Vol 3: Examining Opioid Addiction In America

What is so disheartening about the way law enforcement is so far behind the curve compared to other professions is the way they handle such issues as mental illness and substance abuse.

As for substance abuse, I can absolutely see the potential for abuse of the badge and potential for of all of the associated crimes we see with addicts in the general population, but there should be treatment for those that get addicted from reasons such as getting injured on the job. But most departments would want to cleanse their hands of such a risky employee.

I guess it’s the same for other forms of mental illness. Police departments are terrified that an officer with depression may go haywire and go postal some day. And most police officers that suffer from depression are terrified that their jobs would be at risk for seeking treatment. I know i resisted therapy for many years because of this. I was only put on my first depression medication(cymbalta) because it had been shown to have some therapeutic value for back pain. My doctor tried for two years to get me to try it before I finally relented(no, I didn’t doubt his knowledge but I was afraid my department would somehow find out I was on depression meds), but when i agreed to try it, it was mostly because of the depression. When I broke down and told him that is why I was willing to try it, he said he couldn’t believe that It had taken me so long to become so depressed with all of my back pain. It was another year before I sought therapy, and probably another year before I told my chief, but only because I had been missing so much work. This was after two miscarriages and the death of my dog that sent me spiraling into a dark place(not suicidal-never that, but so depressed i could not function). But i could see it on his face that he thought I was a liability and I think he thought I was weak because I was tearing up in his office. This put a serious strain on our relationship, which got better when I became I lieutenant and got a renewed vigor for the job and was pretty damn good at it(I inherited the highest crime area and turned it around), but have had several bad patches since then and he hates me, and has basically told me so. In fact, just twelve hours ago, I asked if he had a second to discuss which of my sergeants I wanted to act in my absence(I have been on light duty due to a work injury and have surgery in 8 hours). He answered that he did not have a second, but I insisted. He was so clearly annoyed, but I really am fresh out of fucks to give. As I walked out of his office after a brief discussion, he said “good luck” with a smirk on his face. Just because I know he wants to be rid of me so bad, i actually may stick out my remaining 3.5 years.

Because of my depression and missing because of back pain, I am seen as a pain in the ass and a liability, and I am sure that any other officer that admitted to having depression would be viewed by him the same way.

Fuck your chief. I know exactly the type of guy you're talking about. I have them too.

I also know where you're coming from with the depression concerns. I didn't know I had a problem until I completely broke, for the first time in my life, in front of my kid's 5th grade career day class. The entire presentation I did was absolutely perfect, and I had time for one more question. A girl asked me if I'd ever seen one of my co-workers get hurt. I started telling a story and when I tell you that about 5 seconds into it I knew this was a bad idea, I'm not exaggerating. I made it another 5 seconds and it let loose. I cried like I never cried before and tried to push through the story. I was so fucking embarrassed for myself, and my son. The funny part was that in this story, the injury wasn't terrible, but having to replay the radio transmissions in my head while explaining what happened is what sent me over the edge. The broken up calls for help, the sound of a struggle, and radio silence still makes me emotional, yet it is and was more than just that one call. I've never told anyone at work this happened to me, nor have I sought help. And I won't - for the reasons you spoke of. I just realized at that point that I've drastically changed.

Best of luck with the operation today.

Last edited:
@Cubo de Sangre best use of the sticky in 2+ years. Finally found a topic where people could get more than just regurgitated talking points. I think this thread might actually help someone.

Cheers.

It was worth the work you put in man.

Good job @nhbbear @cleetus

@Cubo de Sangre best use of the sticky in 2+ years. Finally found a topic where people could get more than just regurgitated talking points. I think this thread might actually help someone.

Cheers.

It was worth the work you put in man.

Good job @nhbbear @cleetus

Credit @nhbbear for the idea and most of the content. And of course thanks to anyone who has posted.

Did another 10-15 pleas this morning in court.

At least 80% involved drugs or booze at some level.

At least 80% involved drugs or booze at some level.

Possession , selling ? what kinda charges are people getting . Im curious if these people are getting into trouble or if they are just getting caught in possession/being intoxicated . Are they thieves feeding addiction ?

Possession , selling ? what kinda charges are people getting . Im curious if these people are getting into trouble or if they are just getting caught in possession/being intoxicated . Are they thieves feeding addiction ?
Lot's of possession charges.

But they're picked up stealing and shit and have it on them at arrest.

Another case a lady got belligerent drunk and picked up a .22 rifle, loaded it, and threatened to shoot her fiance and did a goose-step march around the living room in full view of neighbors screaming at him... family is Native so it's not like it's some Neo-Nazi DV incident. That one you could see prosecutor's and public defenders both with a "wtf kind of booze was this?" look on their face.

Do they also get charged with the stealing?
The most common that I see is someone is trespassed from say... Walmart.

They then go in, shoplift like $50 of food from the hot deli counter and are picked up by loss prevention just outside the door. Loss prevention does an internal records check and find out said person is tresspass'd. They then call local PD. PD shows up and arrests them for Burglary 2 (which basically in layman's terms here means you were someplace where you weren't supposed to be for the sole purpose/intention of committing a crime) then when searched incident to arrest they find a meth pipe or heroin syringe and a small baggie of the stuff. Cops then book them in at that stage for both Burg 2 and the Possession charge.

USUALLY, these people end up pleading guilty to like Theft 3 which is a Class C felony and like Solicitation to Possess or Attempted Possession of a Controlled Substance.

This thread is breaking my heart. It seems like everyone is touched by opium addiction these days.

I broke my neck in my thirties and have lived with chronic pain since. Being an educated professional woman with a legit injury, I never had any trouble getting prescription drugs. I had lost my father the year before I broke my neck, and I was in a difficult doctoral program in college at the time of the fracture. The combination of the loss, the pain, and the stress did me in. I definitely abused the medications prescribed to me, mixing them way too frequently with alcohol. I just wanted to be numb from everything. I fantasized about dying but didn't have the guts to actually do anything. There were times where I laid in bed and felt my heart palpitating and wondered if I was overdosing and needing to go to the doctor. One day I realized that the meds were not helping and I gave them up cold turkey. Now I do acupuncture and massage and live with the daily pain, that honestly just keeps getting worse. Now I have to work my body to support my spine. The only time I have taken opioids is for a surgery, and the second I could tolerate the pain, I stopped taking them. I also take an anti anxiety/anti depressant called Low Dose Naltrexone that helps boost the serotonin in my brain. In high dosages, Naltrexone is used to treat opioid addiction. In low doses, it can boost your immune system and help you relax. I understand the need for these medications. I can also testify that there is a lot more we could be doing to help folks recovering from injuries or living with chronic pain in the form of alternative medicine. After my surgery, my recovery was very much accelerated by alternative medicines that my insurance did not cover. When I made the decision to give up pain killers, I also made the decision to invest in my own health. My insurance went from paying hundreds of dollars for pills that were hurting me to spending nothing on the alternate forms of therapy that make it possible for me to live with a decent quality of life.

This is quite the pickle. It's just cheaper and easier to do the drugs. :(

There are alternative forms of treatment that can really help with chronic pain, but most of the time insurance does not cover them. I use acupuncture, chiropractic care and massage to keep my muscles pliable, and I do pilates to keep my core strong as my spine is so damaged it doesn't properly support my body. All of this makes a world of difference in my quality of life. I still have pain, but at least I have some control over it, most of the time. It costs me around $800 a month out of pocket though, and that kinda sucks.

Why we can't get clinical trials on this, is hard to explain without a massive conspiracy in place. Kind of like those Afghan poppy fields
Ibogaine is known to likely be highly cardiotoxic and has been associated with a number of cardiac arrests/deaths. There are plenty of other ways for people to detox comfortably that are well-tested and safe. The only reason you're citing articles about it and talking about NMDA is because it makes you hallucinate and gets you fucked up. That's what people like. You never heard people screaming it's a conspiracy or crying about the NSS-2 Bridge, even though it appears super effective and safe.

Ibogaine is known to likely be highly cardiotoxic and has been associated with a number of cardiac arrests/deaths. There are plenty of other ways for people to detox comfortably that are well-tested and safe. The only reason you're citing articles about it and talking about NMDA is because it makes you hallucinate and gets you fucked up. That's what people like. You never heard people screaming it's a conspiracy or crying about the NSS-2 Bridge, even though it appears super effective and safe.

This is the problem. When more Americans died last year from opium OD, then died in the Vietnam war, you need to offer a better rationale then 19 people have died in 30 years from cardiac issues, for not pursuing this.

If it really is as simple as we won't risk 19 people over 30 years, to save 50,000 next year, while disclosing the risks, their is something really fucked in those peoples' heads. They are insane. They shouldn't run a gas station, nevermind be making medical law.

Saying there have been 19 recorded deaths isn't that useful if there have only been 5000 recorded treatments. One study estimated mortality rate at 1 out of every 300 treatments. That sounds horrible. Without controlled studies, the risks can only be based on these increasing case reports of cardiac arrest and death. Why rush to use something that appears to be very risky when there are plenty of other safe, proven methods to detox people? Don't understand this line of thinking at all.

This thread is breaking my heart. It seems like everyone is touched by opium addiction these days.

I broke my neck in my thirties and have lived with chronic pain since. Being an educated professional woman with a legit injury, I never had any trouble getting prescription drugs. I had lost my father the year before I broke my neck, and I was in a difficult doctoral program in college at the time of the fracture. The combination of the loss, the pain, and the stress did me in. I definitely abused the medications prescribed to me, mixing them way too frequently with alcohol. I just wanted to be numb from everything. I fantasized about dying but didn't have the guts to actually do anything. There were times where I laid in bed and felt my heart palpitating and wondered if I was overdosing and needing to go to the doctor. One day I realized that the meds were not helping and I gave them up cold turkey. Now I do acupuncture and massage and live with the daily pain, that honestly just keeps getting worse. Now I have to work my body to support my spine. The only time I have taken opioids is for a surgery, and the second I could tolerate the pain, I stopped taking them. I also take an anti anxiety/anti depressant called Low Dose Naltrexone that helps boost the serotonin in my brain. In high dosages, Naltrexone is used to treat opioid addiction. In low doses, it can boost your immune system and help you relax. I understand the need for these medications. I can also testify that there is a lot more we could be doing to help folks recovering from injuries or living with chronic pain in the form of alternative medicine. After my surgery, my recovery was very much accelerated by alternative medicines that my insurance did not cover. When I made the decision to give up pain killers, I also made the decision to invest in my own health. My insurance went from paying hundreds of dollars for pills that were hurting me to spending nothing on the alternate forms of therapy that make it possible for me to live with a decent quality of life.

I think you had way more guts to not die.

Saying there have been 19 recorded deaths isn't that useful if there have only been 5000 recorded treatments. One study estimated mortality rate at 1 out of every 300 treatments. That sounds horrible. Without controlled studies, the risks can only be based on these increasing case reports of cardiac arrest and death. Why rush to use something that appears to be very risky when there are plenty of other safe, proven methods to detox people? Don't understand this line of thinking at all.

I thought the ibogaine was supposed to make you no longer make you have the urge to do the drug ... thats the hard part detox isnt shit after a few days if you or someone makes you go through it

also Im willing to guess that the mortality rate for a heroin addict is higher than 1 in 300 and it still might be worth the risk if the reward to rewire the urge ?

Fuck your chief. I know exactly the type of guy you're talking about. I have them too.

Best of luck with the operation today.

Yeah, he’s that old school type and not well liked.

As for the surgery, it went pretty rocky. They had to to two nerve blocks after the first one did not take. The second one was not completely successful either. I should have been unconscious all day, but was able to walk out on my own after the surgery. The cold compression machine malfunctioned and they are bringing me a new one tomorrow, but that does not help me right now. I had a little over an hour of relief from four Percocets, but don’t want to take any more even though they have worn off. The only good news is that they did not have to reattach anything and just shaved down the joint. It just hurts like a motherfucker right now.

I thought the ibogaine was supposed to make you no longer make you have the urge to do the drug ... thats the hard part detox isnt shit after a few days if you or someone makes you go through it

also Im willing to guess that the mortality rate for a heroin addict is higher than 1 in 300 and it still might be worth the risk if the reward to rewire the urge ?

As soon as there is sufficient evidence that it's useful in treating addiction and safe, I'll be 100% all on board with that.

If there are 47k opioid deaths a year and almost 1 million heroin users, who many are shooting up daily or multiple times daily, then the mortality rate for heroin use should be much, much less than that.

As soon as there is sufficient evidence that it's useful in treating addiction and safe, I'll be 100% all on board with that.

are we doing all the possible testing that can be done ? Or are we saying this shit kills people we already have meds and have written it off ?

If there are 47k opioid deaths a year and almost 1 million heroin users, who many are shooting up daily or multiple times daily, then the mortality rate for heroin use should be much, much less than that.

Im having a hard time figuring out how to phrase this so bear with me. Addicts dont just die from ods , Like if you are a junkie and shoot up and get aids , have organ failure after years of abuse or get murdered while in the hustle its still the addiction that did you in and why I think getting people over addiction should be the main focus of our effort to get a handle on the opiate problem and why I was saying I suspect heroin addict mortality to actually be way higher than we can compute ?

are we doing all the possible testing that can be done ? Or are we saying this shit kills people we already have meds and have written it off ?

I read there was a phase 1 clinical trial in the 90s that got halted due to safety concerns, so people might not be super keen to dump money into it. I'm sure there are some small studies here and there in other countries. Don't really follow this too closely. The only reason I even know much about it at all is because I had a patient a couple years ago who planned to go to one of those treatment centers, and I read a bit about it to learn a little more.

Last edited:
I can say songs like this one, that describe a town getting smashed by some sort of a drug epidemic hit me in the feels way harder since I started working on adult felonies:

Seeing the defendant's families in Court basically pleading with their loved one "you need help" and the defendant's... USUALLY not seeming to give a shit hurts like Hell too.

EDIT:
Eric Church wrote the song Homeboy with someone else about his brother's fight with alcoholism and though Give Me Back My Hometown is several years old his brother recently passed away from seizures related to chronic alcohol withdrawal. So, the dude gets addiction and has seen it first hand is why I included the song.

Last edited:
Back