Potential Issue With Privatized Prisons....

Imagine if prisons had to pay a penalty whenever a released convict was re-convicted. They would have the greatest re-education programs ever...or more unexplained inmate deaths, lol.

This is hands down the dumbest fucking thing I have read in a few weeks here. Yeah, there is the stupid trolling. But you seem serious about this.
First off, prisons are to punish and keep offenders away from public so they cannot commit the crime. Rehabilitation is not any fucking requirement at all.

Compare that to a hospital where you are paying to get fixed----a fucking service.

You like in some fairy tale fucking world where we can just fix criminals. If your idea came to fruition, it would be a very scary world. At that point you are talking about brutal punishments, mind control, and partial brain destruction like a lobotomy.

Yeah, just fix this pedophile.
electric-chair.jpg

Here you go

Hey, fix this gang banger who thinks not getting dissed and a bag of weed or a city block is worth killing anyone over, just fix him.

Yeah, there is some fucking secret way to fix people that we just are not using. You are onto something. Just punish the jails enough and they will figure it out. Hey, how about just sentencing every criminal to life in prison with no parole???? Fixed.

Not to beat a dead horse, but your post was just so stupid on every level.

Fucking Swype

How does the prison get you to leave the gang? Hospitals have ways to mark someone non compliant

I'm sorry but isn't that part of the point of sending people to prison...to rehabilitate them prior to release.

If you're going to suggest that recidivism is inevitable...what's the point of release at all?

I really don't see how your comment contradicts my larger point. If private prisons were penalized for recidivism, they would have an incentive to actually find ways to help their inmates break the gang dynamic prior to release.

If the taxpayer sends you to a private hospital for an operation, it's still a private hospital.
Sounds like facism.

Means of production is still in private hands, private hands are just being told what to do.

First off, prisons are to punish and keep offenders away from public so they cannot commit the crime. Rehabilitation is not any fucking requirement at all...

Which is kind of the point behind my comment.

What is the point of imprisoning people if you're just going to release them into the exact same circumstances that led to the crime in the first place? Of course you're going to get recidivism. A forward thinking person might ask themselves - "Well, how can we reduce recidivism?" A simpler mind might say "Recidivism is inevitable therefore let's not think about it at all."

If you can incentivize creative solutions to problems then you might find that people solve the problem because it benefits them. Criminals spend a specific amount of time completely within control of the prisons. There is no better place to use financial incentives to spur creative solutions to the problem.

Of course, if you think that once someone has been convicted once that they are no longer of value to society and are destined to return to crime no matter what happens...then why bother releasing them at all? Personally, death penalty for all felony convictions is what I suggest but then people start crying about non-violent offenders and other irrelevant distinctions. Criminals are criminals.

I'm sorry but isn't that part of the point of sending people to prison...to rehabilitate them prior to release.

If you're going to suggest that recidivism is inevitable...what's the point of release at all?

I really don't see how your comment contradicts my larger point. If private prisons were penalized for recidivism, they would have an incentive to actually find ways to help their inmates break the gang dynamic prior to release.
Why aren't we doing that with public ones then? They abandoned rwhab a long time ago because it didn't work

Isnt a true private prison a place where prisoners consentually agree to be imprisoned and forfeit their own equity required to fund their stay?

How can taxpayers funding prisoners stay be considered a private prison?
The prisoners are unwilling participants in this transaction, they aren't customers. I suppose a truly private prison could send everyone in the criminal's neighborhood a bill or something.

Why aren't we doing that with public ones then? They abandoned rwhab a long time ago because it didn't work

I believe more recent data shows that it does work to some degree (not a majority or anything like that though).

As for private vs. public - private prisons are being paid to do a job by the taxpayers, we have negotiating leverage over them. If they find a solution, we can incorporate it into public ones. If they don't, we get a cost savings on what we pay them. Seems like a win/win to me.

We have the highest incarceration rate per capita in the world. It's a very sad thing

The prisoners are unwilling participants in this transaction, they aren't customers. I suppose a truly private prison could send everyone in the criminal's neighborhood a bill or something.
And if they were forced to pay by threat of force (government) its still not exactly private.

Also, kind of throws the whole innocent until proven guilty (neighborhood) out the window.

And if they were forced to pay by threat of force (government) its still not exactly private.

Also, kind of throws the whole innocent until proven guilty (neighborhood) out the window.
How about if they refuse to pay the prison can just release the prisoner, and let him know his cheap ass neighbors won't float the bill if he gets arrested again.

It would be interesting if private prisons got some sort of pay based on the rate of recidivism of their inmates after they are released.

They already do, but in reverse. They make more $$ if criminals reoffend.

They've also been known to pay bribes to judges to secure convictions and long sentences--the most notorious case involved minors getting years for something they typically would get only probation for.

So I've always been against there being privatized prisons, because I believe it puts a monetary incentive behind encouraging repeat offenders as opposed to rehabilitating prisoners so that they can have tools to function in society and ideally NOT return to prison.
My take, based on personal experience...

The obvious...prisons (state, federal, private) wouldn't exist if people kept their noses clean.

Prisoners don't HAVE to sit around for years while their sentence runs down...programs are available at all prisons, detention facilities (state, fed, or private).

No one can force anyone to learn a trait, skill, or hobby that will assist them when reentering society.

I believe more recent data shows that it does work to some degree (not a majority or anything like that though).

As for private vs. public - private prisons are being paid to do a job by the taxpayers, we have negotiating leverage over them. If they find a solution, we can incorporate it into public ones. If they don't, we get a cost savings on what we pay them. Seems like a win/win to me.
Or if it doesn't work and their pay drops enough, they just close their doors. Then we're back to what lead to them opening in the first place.

This is hands down the dumbest fucking thing I have read in a few weeks here. Yeah, there is the stupid trolling. But you seem serious about this.
First off, prisons are to punish and keep offenders away from public so they cannot commit the crime. Rehabilitation is not any fucking requirement at all.

Compare that to a hospital where you are paying to get fixed----a fucking service.

You like in some fairy tale fucking world where we can just fix criminals. If your idea came to fruition, it would be a very scary world. At that point you are talking about brutal punishments, mind control, and partial brain destruction like a lobotomy.

Yeah, just fix this pedophile.
electric-chair.jpg

Here you go

Hey, fix this gang banger who thinks not getting dissed and a bag of weed or a city block is worth killing anyone over, just fix him.

Yeah, there is some fucking secret way to fix people that we just are not using. You are onto something. Just punish the jails enough and they will figure it out. Hey, how about just sentencing every criminal to life in prison with no parole???? Fixed.

Not to beat a dead horse, but your post was just so stupid on every level.
We should just throw ALL criminals in jail for life? Regardless of their crime? Lol

that's not stupid at all....

My take, based on personal experience...

The obvious...prisons (state, federal, private) wouldn't exist if people kept their noses clean.

Prisoners don't HAVE to sit around for years while their sentence runs down...programs are available at all prisons, detention facilities (state, fed, or private).

No one can force anyone to learn a trait, skill, or hobby that will assist them when reentering society.
Sure, nobody can be forced to participate in "Rehab" programs, but maybe there should be a better incentive to participating. Like if "Inmate A" completes 1 year of "X Job Skills Training" then they get guaranteed time off of their sentence. Like 1 year off for 1 year of participation. Something like that.

I know many prisons do have programs to participate in, but obviously they're not effective enough. The US has the highest incarceration rate per capita in the world. That is absurd.

This would be great, they do it to hospitals with re-admission rates and, supposedly, it's made a difference.

Imagine if prisons had to pay a penalty whenever a released convict was re-convicted. They would have the greatest re-education programs ever...or more unexplained inmate deaths, lol.
Exactly. The monetary incentive should be on the other side of encouraging re-offenders.

Back