Post Your Gloves/Gear

Anyone had any experience with prize ring? The pro-training glove? If so what's your thoughts, I've seen fit2box/simons review and they look decent but there isn't much more about them.

I had a pair a few years ago. Decent gloves - padding felt really nice and moulded to my hand after a few sessions on the bag. I found their 16oz a little too snug for me though.

Recently aquired this headgear from an amazing friend, (you would have to be in order to gift this, and another brand new fg-2900 & 5000 to someone- even if they themselves got them for free) brand new XL FG-3000... pretty rare outside Japan, but honestly I think heads and shoulders above the FG-2900. Besides the nose strip which pulls the cheek pads together and essentially makes it a lesser version of a full face guard, Winning also flipped the ear padding as well as the side and rear padding inside-out. I thought this would be just an experiment on design change, but it actually makes a big difference in comfort and protection, I think for the better. Gear is way more snug, can take a shot more comfortably, yet still has superior vision and lightness over the 5000. I have the older version of the 5000 in genuine leather (yellow in pics), and to me there is nothing better for overall protection, but it is heavier and harder to roll shots and maintain vision. Overall, not sure if I would have sprung the crazy high retail for this piece, but then again, if you are going to spend a lot on any piece of boxing gear, get a good headgear. Winning is simply the best. (would like to tryout the superbar tho)

Reactions: CJ1
shit... now I don't remember how I uploaded my other pics, before it gave me the option of uploading at a lower resolution, which I did before, but now I'm not getting that option... damn I know I'm getting old, but this type of shit just waves it in my face.

My local gym sells boxing equipment. I just happen to spot an old, sealed pair of Winnings that was just collecting dust on the back of the rack. I asked for its price at they are selling it for real cheap. I guess they just want to get rid of it. I really want to buy it but the problem is that its only 12oz.

I'm 1.85m and 215 lbs. Can I still use the gloves should I buy it? I currently train with my 16oz Fairtex BGV9s. I'm not expecting to use it for sparring, just for mitts and bagwork. What do you think? Is it going to be a worthy purchase?

My local gym sells boxing equipment. I just happen to spot an old, sealed pair of Winnings that was just collecting dust on the back of the rack. I asked for its price at they are selling it for real cheap. I guess they just want to get rid of it. I really want to buy it but the problem is that its only 12oz.

I'm 1.85m and 215 lbs. Can I still use the gloves should I buy it? I currently train with my 16oz Fairtex BGV9s. I'm not expecting to use it for sparring, just for mitts and bagwork. What do you think? Is it going to be a worthy purchase?

The answer is Yes

Even if you didn't like them, you could always resell them for profit.

I still can't post a new tread so thought this one best to post my questions. Did some searching but did not find an answer to my question. I spar (boxing) with guys that are all often smaller to me. The weight difference can be 20 lbs to as much 150 lbs. The problem is it is hard for me to hit fast with out hitting too hard. I am just too slow and lack or lost the skill. I am working on snapping punches so that is part of the solution. Some problem with amateur heavy weights but big problem with the serious amateur lightweight fighters as these young guys hit back harder and the whole sparring round is more of a slugfest which I suffer badly and I learn nothing. The instructors and pros are forgiving. There are some guys I avoid or the instructor will move me to another opponent especially if they have a fight in the near future. I am 63 years old and just want to have fun sparring, get fit and try different things, get feedback and get better at the science. I will not train anywhere that does not have fighters competing at a high level as the training is top notch. I do want to get better for self defense sake. No longer competing so limiting hard hits to the head as much as possible. I saw these gloves on Amazon. ( https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0084VS...d=2L49NEODEG1BY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it_im) Are they worth the money? Will they protect my opponent better and hence myself than good quality 16 oz sparring gloves? Will I develop bad habits with these heavier gloves? What weight (14,16, 18, 20, 22, 24 oz) should I choose that will not develop bad habits and protect my opponent the best. Sorry for long post and thank you in advance for recommendations.

I still can't post a new tread so thought this one best to post my questions. Did some searching but did not find an answer to my question. I spar (boxing) with guys that are all often smaller to me. The weight difference can be 20 lbs to as much 150 lbs. The problem is it is hard for me to hit fast with out hitting too hard. I am just too slow and lack or lost the skill. I am working on snapping punches so that is part of the solution. Some problem with amateur heavy weights but big problem with the serious amateur lightweight fighters as these young guys hit back harder and the whole sparring round is more of a slugfest which I suffer badly and I learn nothing. The instructors and pros are forgiving. There are some guys I avoid or the instructor will move me to another opponent especially if they have a fight in the near future. I am 63 years old and just want to have fun sparring, get fit and try different things, get feedback and get better at the science. I will not train anywhere that does not have fighters competing at a high level as the training is top notch. I do want to get better for self defense sake. No longer competing so limiting hard hits to the head as much as possible. I saw these gloves on Amazon. ( https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0084VS...d=2L49NEODEG1BY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it_im) Are they worth the money? Will they protect my opponent better and hence myself than good quality 16 oz sparring gloves? Will I develop bad habits with these heavier gloves? What weight (14,16, 18, 20, 22, 24 oz) should I choose that will not develop bad habits and protect my opponent the best. Sorry for long post and thank you in advance for recommendations.

Generally, the bigger you are the heavier weight gloves you'll want to use. At my gym the suggestion is 18oz if you're a heavyweight or heavier and 16oz for everything below. I see you linked to a Ring to Cage set of gloves; if you're looking at Ring to Cage you're better off going with the C17s (https://www.ringtocage.com/japanese-style-training-gloves-2-0-velcro-or-lace-up/) as they've got great reviews and are based off of the most protective gloves on the market, the Winning MS-600s (albeit at a much lower price). If you match these gloves with good headgear, decent cup / waist protector and a defense-minded attitude in the ring, it's about as good as you can equip yourself to protect both yourself and ostensibly, your sparring partner. The rest is just technique and strategy. It also kind of sounds like you're sparring outside your skill level, which if the case, means you will get roughed up if your sparring partner has no interest in taking it easy for you (i.e. they're training for a fight or they're assholes or something).

Another tool for developing snapping fast punches could be this thing (https://www.saadvakass.com), but it does take a while to get used to it and a lot of use before you see any improvement.

You might also want to literally tell your sparring partner that your trying to spar lightly, don't wanna slugfest, and working on doing it properly so they should let you know if you are pounding too hard. Big gloves are good but in my experience they don't really make a hard punch not hard, if you know what I mean. I'm younger than you (mid forties) but I'm often the "old guy" in a sparring session and I usually make a joke out of it, i.e. "You want to beat up an old man? Please don't knock out my teeth. I was hoping I'd get another 10 years out of them before I had to go on a mush only diet!" Kinda relaxes everyone in my experience.
(In fairness I'm usually sparring with amateurs or if they're a pro they're an instructor and so kinda know how to handle low skill level people. So if you're sparring with active pro fighters it might be different.)

Thank you RedGloves and MT5. Good advice and I am going to buy the 18 oz Ring to Cage Japanese style gloves. Saves me $50. Also I am going to try the EVNIK PRO. $30 is not bad. One thing with a lot of training devices, you can vary a workout to keep it interesting especially without the stress of training for competition. Yes, everybody that shows up for sparring is better than me. Sometimes I am just a break for the fighters between rounds with better opponents. They all tolerate me as I have been with this same gym for 20 years. I do joke with the regular guys that show up and for the most part they go pretty easy on me. Sometimes there is an accidental hard hit like when I duck into a punch but I am learning. I guess it is the first sparring session where it can go hard so I need to have the conversation first time we meet. My goal is to be that 80+ year old guy shadowboxing in the ring after that documentary on the Gleason boxing gym. Thanks again guys.

Hi all,

Don't fancy starting a new thread for something that's probably covered 100 of times but I've not heard much about this brand for some time and most reviews online are older than 2 years old.
Soo.....are Sabas still a relatively good glove and can anyone give me a run down on the type of glove some of there models are suppose to replicate and how they perform IE bella, pro-series and supersoft.

Hi all,

Don't fancy starting a new thread for something that's probably covered 100 of times but I've not heard much about this brand for some time and most reviews online are older than 2 years old.
Soo.....are Sabas still a relatively good glove and can anyone give me a run down on the type of glove some of there models are suppose to replicate and how they perform IE bella, pro-series and supersoft.
I have a pair of the Bella gloves, they're nice and I'm into them, nice for sparring

Hi all,

Milage will vary, my friend. I bought a pair of supersoft 16oz as a gift for my coach, who is competing pro that trains 7 days a week. The stitching gave out in 4 months around the spilt thumb area. He was using them everyday for everything, so take my experience with a caveat. Gloves definitely look nice and isn't too bad at 100 to 130, but the SS stitching and padding probably will not last long if you are a fighter training 2 hours+ a day

Milage will vary, my friend. I bought a pair of supersoft 16oz as a gift for my coach, who is competing pro that trains 7 days a week. The stitching gave out in 4 months around the spilt thumb area. He was using them everyday for everything, so take my experience with a caveat. Gloves definitely look nice and isn't too bad at 100 to 130, but the SS stitching and padding probably will not last long if you are a fighter training 2 hours+ a day
Totally understand!
4 months, 7 days a week and just for a little stitching doesn't sound too bad. I'm definitely not doing that anymore lucky if I make it 3 times a week.
So from my understanding the super soft are winning like, Bella are mexica like what are the pro series as they seem the most popular!!!

Totally understand!
4 months, 7 days a week and just for a little stitching doesn't sound too bad. I'm definitely not doing that anymore lucky if I make it 3 times a week.
So from my understanding the super soft are winning like, Bella are mexica like what are the pro series as they seem the most popular!!!
Pro-series is supposed to be the most similar to Grant Training Gloves
Bellas is supposed to the most similar to Grant Fight Gloves

Never heard of barric and haven’t been in here in awhile, very interested though. How often do they drop gloves?

Back